All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

looking for transmission opinion

Go down 
+3
prancstaman
Double W Cross Ranch
diddie
7 posters
AuthorMessage
diddie
diddie

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

transmission - looking for transmission opinion Empty
PostSubject: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitimeMarch 16th 2019, 9:05 am

Ok everyone I'm looking to build a extra trail mower to have on hand for back up or friends that need a ride while visiting and i have a plethora of tractors and parts. i haven't even started anything yet but was going thru some trannys and was wondering what ya'lls opinion was on the Spicer trans i;ve got a 5 speed and a 6 speed is one better then the other ?
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitimeMarch 16th 2019, 1:23 pm

Neither one is very good, the input bearings wear out very quickly from my experience, and they shift very rough. But if you're going to use one or the other, then I'd go for the 6 speed because you'd have 1 more gear lol.
Back to top Go down
https://themagazineishalff.wixsite.com/website
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitimeMarch 16th 2019, 8:26 pm

If that is all you have is spicer transaxles then run what you brung. If you have something else then use the something else. If not, it would be a good idea to take apart all the spicers and check everything. If needed you should be able to switch parts to make one good trans. One really good one is better then 2 ok ones.
Back to top Go down
diddie
diddie

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitimeMarch 16th 2019, 10:10 pm

i do have other options this is just whats on the shelf and was wondering weather they would be good to use or not. 2 out of 2 say look at other options thats what i needed to know thanks!
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2019, 1:15 am

I don’t have any issue with spicer, I think the weakest parts are the cases. Like anything, there are cheap spicers and more expensive ones. Cheaper ones have thinner cases and steel bushings where the nicer ones have bronze bushings and thicker cases. Really the only way to tell is take them apart and clean the grease out of them (which is a good idea anyway) and see what you’re working with.
Back to top Go down
mowerjunkie03
mowerjunkie03

PostSubject: Re: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2019, 11:05 am

Yes like CQ said take them apart and clean them up and figure out if one has better bushings and if they both have 4 shifting keys. The ones with 4 keys don't shift as smooth but are way thougher. Keep in mind the ones that DON'T have 16 inch apart holes to be mounted in larger mowers are not only less universal but are way thinner cases and usually sh*t parts. Do you have pics of them?
Back to top Go down
diddie
diddie

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2019, 7:41 pm

transmission - looking for transmission opinion 20190315
transmission - looking for transmission opinion 20190314
Back to top Go down
mowerjunkie03
mowerjunkie03

PostSubject: Re: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2019, 7:48 pm

The second pic appears to be the higher quality case but theres no tellin whats inside. It looks more modern it resembles the ones that I have. The firat one appears older. But you should open them up and take a look. You could swap some bushings and gearset and make a solid trans.
Back to top Go down
diddie
diddie

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2019, 8:08 pm

yah there just sittin and taking up space might as well crack'em open and see what i've got
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2019, 12:40 pm

I think a spicer would be fine in a loaner or beater tractor. What kind of terrain do you ride and how fast do you want to go?
Back to top Go down
diddie
diddie

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2019, 7:08 pm

Crazy_Carl wrote:
I think a spicer would be fine in a loaner or beater tractor.  What kind of terrain do you ride and how fast do you want to go?

woods and thru creek beds mild hill climbing. not looking for over 20 i'll do like a 6 inch on the engine and about a 3 or 4 on the trans. the whole thing hasn't came to fruition yet just bouncing around some ideas.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2019, 7:56 pm

Definitely go with a 4 or even 4.5 on the transaxle. Otherwise it’ll just slip, even when dry
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2019, 7:47 pm

I don't know about the "slip" part but I do know that if you run a 6 to 3 or less then the speed will just be plain scary. If you want 20 then a 6 to 4 will be plenty.

I personally am not a fan of spicers but as long as you don't beat the crap out of it it should be fine.
Back to top Go down
diddie
diddie

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2019, 11:14 pm

Murraymountain wrote:
I don't know about the "slip" part but I do know that if you run a 6 to 3 or less then the speed will just be plain scary. If you want 20 then a 6 to 4 will be plenty.

I personally am not a fan of spicers but as long as you don't beat the crap out of it it should be fine.
Don't get me wrong i'm not talking about running down trails at 20 plus miles an hour. I like having a lot of wheel speed for pulling out of the mud when needed. that's why it's got 5 or 6 gears to go with the situation at hand. iv'e ran a 6 to a 3 before and it work good but that was a few years back and i don't even know what trans it was. never new the differance between them back then. that's why i was wondering what peoples opinion was on the spicer compared to others.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2019, 10:12 am

Not that spicers are bad trannys but I just don't like them as much as the peerless. My trannys always have 5 or 6 gears. Your spicer should work fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: looking for transmission opinion   transmission - looking for transmission opinion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

looking for transmission opinion
Page 1 of 1