All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
2020 Build-off Started, Look for entry instructions HERE! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2019 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-AllisKidD21 . . . 2-Offroad Mudmowers . . . 3-MightyRaze . . . Close vote, all were winners!

Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
prancstaman
Expert
Expert

Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: 2nd rim jig   Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2020 10:23 pm

Hay People,
The planets aligned so the goose layed her egg. Which gave me time to do some work on this, LOL. I need something to hold my hand grinder so I can true up the rims and cut rims up later on. I'm using my best hand grinder for this, the shaft doesn't wobble on it in other words, LOL.

I pick through my best junk for this, the junk on the bench in other words.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200125

I mount the side handle on. Then grab the seat brackets and use one to fit it on the hand grinder, then slice it up to fit snug. The bolt on the bracket fits under the grinder handle for support. The hole next to the bolt is where I will mount the assembly to a rod and will swing into the rim.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200129Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200130

The side handle screwed on is the only thing holding the bracket on while the bolt up under the bracket  is just there to help support the hand grinder under the handle.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200127

A better view of under the hand grinder handle with the bolt bolted to only the bracket. Should keep the hand grinder from vibrating while running.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200131

I will cut up a threaded rod for it to come up from the rim holding jig and will support the hand grinder with a cut off wheel, that will swing into the rim. Here are the pieces I use. A couple of alternator spacers, various size spacers and washers, a couple nuts, and a 13 inch long piece of threaded rod.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200132

I piece it all together. The hand grinder will be able to be adjusted with it's height by rearranging the spacers, washers, and hand grinder bracket. When I tighten the threaded rod tight, I still can swing the hand grinder into the rim. The setup seems to be stable but with some effort the fixture will flex. Improvements on it will be later but for now and for the most part the assembly works. The threaded rod can be moved in different spots on the rim jig for different rims and I can also just drill another 3/8" hole if needed too.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200133

I do a test run now by just scribing a line in the rim all the way around. Worked pretty good. The rim jig needs to be mounted to something so it doesn't move to free up the hand holding it in place. Then I can use one hand to push the hand grinder into the rim and the other hand to spin the rim. For now, I set the cutoff wheel on the rim, turn the grinder on and spin the rim to make a mark all the way around.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200134

And the end result. Cool, it works, LOL.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200135

That's as far as I got for tonight. I'll true up the rim halves later. Even if these 2 jigs self-destruct doing these rims, this will give me experience and know how on doing it for improvements later. After I true up the rims, the next jig will be to roll up some flat stock steel to widen the rims some. I think you call it "Rim Banding". OK, that's it for now.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Expert
Expert
prancstaman

Forum Rep : 76

PostSubject: True up the rim halves   Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2020 8:37 pm

Hay People,
I slice and diced them up. As far as I can tell the jigs worked great for trueing up the rim halves. Definitely need some improvements on the jigs, like a way to push the grinder into the rim by a spring or something. A little grease on the bolts that ride on the rim bead, I had to use both hands to turn the rim. So to cut the rims, I pushed the grinder with a cutoff wheel into the rim till it cut into the rim alittle bit then spun the rim with both hands. The cutoff wheel would cut the rim until the cutoff wheel wore down and would have to push the cutoff wheel into the rim alittle more, then spin the rim with both hands till it wore down again, and so on. Doing all this though took only a couple minutes. Was well worth the time it took to do this. I took a lot of pics too, 14 in total, LOL.

First rim. I redid the bolts and brackets that held the rim in place to fit in the jig better. Had to move one of the brackets to a different spot because a spacer was in the way.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200138Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200139Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200140

Sliced it up like I said I had to do it. And the piece I cut off and the end result of the rim.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200145Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200144
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200146

The 2nd rim. Did this the same way and right after the first rim half. So the same height as the first rim also. Since they both are the same sides of the 2 whole rims they need to be identical for the right spacing.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200147

3rd rim half. I reconfigured the jigs to do the other 2 rim halves. Reset the bolts and brackets to hold the rims in the jig. Then I readjusted the height of the cut off wheel with just adding a washer to the height. The washer was 1/16th of an inch so the height of these next 2 rim halves will be 1/16 of an inch higher then the first 2 halves. I wanted to cut off as little as possible on these next 2 halves.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200148

And the 4th rim half. The end result.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200149

All 4 halves done!
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200150

Here is everything I cut off. Just by the looks of the pieces I think the end result looks promising.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200151

Since I used a cut off wheel on these, that left a lot of burrs on the edges. A rat tail file is used to clean the edges up. Time for some QC of the work done. I won't be measuring anything. Just going to use visuals and that should be good enough. You'll see! LOL. I place the rims together, on top of one another on how they will go together. Then place a light behind where the cuts are. The light don't lie. Any gap and the light will shine through.

1st complete rim put together. Took a minute to get this pic. That is the most light I could get to shine through.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200152

2nd complete rim put together. Same thing.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200153

So, after cutting out the hubs completely, trueing up all 4 rim halves, the end result of all this is that the rims when set together have a width of 6 1/4 inches wide.
Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 20200154

6 1/4 inches wide is not too bad. Yesterday, I went to Home Depot and got some flat stock steel. I got 2 pieces, a 1 inch wide and a 1 1/4 inch wide. I think I will use the 1 1/4 inch flat steel stock to widen these rims to 7 1/2 inches wide, but I might just go and get a 2 inch wide piece just for kicks. I think I'll measure a rim up that is whole first to see exactly how wide a standard rim is and then make the call on how wide to make these. I want mine to be wider then a standard rim, just because I can, LOL. To do this, roll the steel, I need to make the tool. The steel roller will be used for other projects also, not a dedicated jig just for this project. So I will be posting this build of the steel roller in another thread. Guess which one, LOL. OK, that's it for now... Later.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

Forum Rep : 245

PostSubject: Re: Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle?   Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2020 10:58 am

Looks like that jig you made worked out pretty well, nice job prancstaman!

- Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
       - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - John Deere 110 Basic Off-Road Build
       - Allis B-110, 710 & 716 - Wheel Horse 655 & 953 - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic - Cub Cadet 106 - Ford LGT 125 -
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Expert
Expert
prancstaman

Forum Rep : 76

PostSubject: Re: Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle?   Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2020 5:34 pm

Thanks, and yes it did! This opens up a lot of possibilities If the rest of the jigs I make work like this setup.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle?   Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Make your own front 4 wheel drive axle?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2