I slice and diced them up. As far as I can tell the jigs worked great for trueing up the rim halves. Definitely need some improvements on the jigs, like a way to push the grinder into the rim by a spring or something. A little grease on the bolts that ride on the rim bead, I had to use both hands to turn the rim. So to cut the rims, I pushed the grinder with a cutoff wheel into the rim till it cut into the rim alittle bit then spun the rim with both hands. The cutoff wheel would cut the rim until the cutoff wheel wore down and would have to push the cutoff wheel into the rim alittle more, then spin the rim with both hands till it wore down again, and so on. Doing all this though took only a couple minutes. Was well worth the time it took to do this. I took a lot of pics too, 14 in total, LOL.
First rim. I redid the bolts and brackets that held the rim in place to fit in the jig better. Had to move one of the brackets to a different spot because a spacer was in the way.
Sliced it up like I said I had to do it. And the piece I cut off and the end result of the rim.
The 2nd rim. Did this the same way and right after the first rim half. So the same height as the first rim also. Since they both are the same sides of the 2 whole rims they need to be identical for the right spacing.
3rd rim half. I reconfigured the jigs to do the other 2 rim halves. Reset the bolts and brackets to hold the rims in the jig. Then I readjusted the height of the cut off wheel with just adding a washer to the height. The washer was 1/16th of an inch so the height of these next 2 rim halves will be 1/16 of an inch higher then the first 2 halves. I wanted to cut off as little as possible on these next 2 halves.
And the 4th rim half. The end result.
All 4 halves done!
Here is everything I cut off. Just by the looks of the pieces I think the end result looks promising.
Since I used a cut off wheel on these, that left a lot of burrs on the edges. A rat tail file is used to clean the edges up. Time for some QC of the work done. I won't be measuring anything. Just going to use visuals and that should be good enough. You'll see! LOL. I place the rims together, on top of one another on how they will go together. Then place a light behind where the cuts are. The light don't lie. Any gap and the light will shine through.
1st complete rim put together. Took a minute to get this pic. That is the most light I could get to shine through.
2nd complete rim put together. Same thing.
So, after cutting out the hubs completely, trueing up all 4 rim halves, the end result of all this is that the rims when set together have a width of 6 1/4 inches wide.
6 1/4 inches wide is not too bad. Yesterday, I went to Home Depot and got some flat stock steel. I got 2 pieces, a 1 inch wide and a 1 1/4 inch wide. I think I will use the 1 1/4 inch flat steel stock to widen these rims to 7 1/2 inches wide, but I might just go and get a 2 inch wide piece just for kicks. I think I'll measure a rim up that is whole first to see exactly how wide a standard rim is and then make the call on how wide to make these. I want mine to be wider then a standard rim, just because I can, LOL. To do this, roll the steel, I need to make the tool. The steel roller will be used for other projects also, not a dedicated jig just for this project. So I will be posting this build of the steel roller in another thread. Guess which one, LOL. OK, that's it for now... Later.