All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Custom Front Hubs

Go down 
+3
murrayman2.0
mrshaft696
muddstir
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nevadablue
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

Custom Front Hubs  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Front Hubs    Custom Front Hubs  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2022, 12:07 pm

Not sure who you are asking.

I’m not sure what I will do with the hubs/wheels. My plan is to use rear wheels on the front and somehow add bearings. It will probably be welded in hubs, not bolted on. I don’t have any wheels I would use for that so modifying the centers of the rear wheels to accept bearings is my thought.
I bought a hole saw to cut out the centers of the rear wheels for welding in those bearing sleeves shown above.

Custom Front Hubs  - Page 2 63fb1310

That should make a slip fit hole for the sleeves. I need to make an ‘axle’ with the flats ground on it, and a center hole for a guide so I guarantee the hole saw cuts accurately in the center of the wheel.

The axle looks like this now, so grinding flats on a 3/4” shaft will work I think.

Custom Front Hubs  - Page 2 1a9d9810

Drilling a center hole should insure concentricity. I would cut off a FNR axle, but I don’t have any total junkers.

FatMike and murrayman2.0 like this post

Back to top Go down
FatMike
FatMike

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

Custom Front Hubs  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Front Hubs    Custom Front Hubs  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2022, 5:13 pm

So in looking at other peoples hub and spindle work my front hub/spindle plan seems simple in comparison.
So I have a 1" shaft reduced to 3/4"and threaded that will be cut at the yoke and probably welded together.
The hub may be cut down slightly on the lathe and will have bearings on it that go into a thick walled tube that will hold the bearings and make up part of the welded spindle assembly.
I want the bearings as close to the tire as possible and I'm still gaining a few inches of width.
Custom Front Hubs  - Page 2 Fronth10

Nevadablue likes this post

Back to top Go down

Custom Front Hubs
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2