All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
2020 Build-off Started, Look for entry instructions HERE! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2019 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-AllisKidD21 . . . 2-Offroad Mudmowers . . . 3-MightyRaze . . . Close vote, all were winners!

“Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
WayneTrain2000
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

“Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2020 2:35 pm

What’s the biggest pulley I can run on front? Hopefully at least 6. Being that the smallest pulley I could make work on the back was 6, I’m hoping to at least get 1:1 ratio if not higher.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

Forum Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2020 5:56 pm

I ran a 6" on mine at one time, so you can at least get that...
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
mr.modified

Forum Rep : 109

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2020 3:56 pm

6" should be no problem. I think creepycrawly runs a 7" or something on the front of his wheel horse. As long as you have some good keepers and a clutch with some decent movement. Should be ok. I personally hate figuring that stuff out, but once you get it figured out it'll be ok.

By the way, nice garage floor. Looks like a formula one shop in there.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Skilled
Skilled
Creepycrawler

Forum Rep : 54

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2020 9:09 pm

I run a 7 on the front of my wheel horse and pretty sure a 7 on the front of AMF too, might be and 8 though
Back to top Go down
WayneTrain2000
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
WayneTrain2000

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2020 9:11 pm

Are those tractors similar frame styles to mine? I don’t know what kinda clearance these stamped frames have up there... I’ll do some measuring when I get a chance.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2020 10:31 am

No I don't think they are. The AMF might be similar, but definitely not the Wheel Horse. You might be able to fit a 7" on it. You'll need to remove the tie rod to get it on though... I just barely could get the 6 on without taking the tie rod off.
Back to top Go down
WayneTrain2000
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
WayneTrain2000

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 2:58 pm

I ordered bushings and they came in today, they are the wrong size. They just flop around in the hole. Could someone help me find some of these bushings for this tractor? I’m having a tough time finding them.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
Apprentice
Apprentice
muddstir

Forum Rep : 14

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 5:16 pm

So I did a real quick skim of your build and I didn't see anything about bushings your trying to replace.
So what bushing are you replacing and do you have any pics to help me out.

If your talking about bronze bushing or plastic bushings I deal with McMaster carr on those.
Back to top Go down
WayneTrain2000
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
WayneTrain2000

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2020 6:12 pm

Sorry, couldn’t get pics to upload on my last post. They are the bushings that the front spindles go thru. If there is some sort of metal alternative to these, I’d be all for that too. The longer they’ll last, the better. The steering arm has to be welded to the spindle, so I won’t be removing spindles again for a long time once this job is done.

“Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Ddd3a410
“Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 F16a6810
Back to top Go down
muddstir
Apprentice
Apprentice
muddstir

Forum Rep : 14

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 6:10 am

Judging by the last pic they have knobs molded into them so they don't spin in the housing. That will be hard to find in an aftermarket replacement, but to me that's no big deal if there not there. Without knowing your exact sizes it's going to be hard to tell you what ones to get. Most spindles I come across 3/4 dia.  But I've seen 5/8 and 1in too. Judging by the pic too it looks like the bushing wall thickness is 1/16th which would add 1/8in difference between the spindle hole size and the housing hole size but I'd still measure that to be sure.

I'd head over to McMaster carr look for bearing category and there is a thing on the side of the screen if you know your sizes that will show you what all different styles they offer to fit your needs.
Back to top Go down
WayneTrain2000
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
WayneTrain2000

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 6:55 am

I found them on eBay finally, got them ordered. They’re 3/4 ID 7/8 OD.
Back to top Go down
WayneTrain2000
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
WayneTrain2000

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2020 3:26 pm

Alright folks, axle is back together and painted. Today I pulled the front pulley and confirmed the output shaft size, about to order a 6” pulley from Phoenix.

All is going well!

“Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 B41cd910
“Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 3b3b2310
Back to top Go down
WayneTrain2000
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
WayneTrain2000

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2020 5:05 pm

Finally up and running!

Pulley went on without a problem, the belt I have is a little too tight so it’s grabbing regardless of clutch pushed in or not. It also has some weird jerking going on, most noticed in top gear. It feels like the belt is binding on something.

Front axle is way better, handling so much better and just feels a lot more safe and solid.

It definitely runs faster than before, but not terribly fast. I haven’t checked the actual speed yet. Wish I could get a little more speed out of it but this pulley setup seems to be about is large as I can go in front and as small as I can in rear.

Nonetheless, I’m happy to be making progress on it.

Pics don’t want to upload as usual, I’ll get some out when possible.
Back to top Go down
WayneTrain2000
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
WayneTrain2000

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 10:13 pm

Finally getting somewhere with it.

Put on a belt an inch bigger, clutch now works as it should but it was throwing belt off every time I pushed the clutch in. Removed stock belt retainers, bent them over and welded on some extra round stock to them. They worked perfect. But still the belt was being thrown off front pulley, so I made some for up there too. Now works perfect. The belt is a little more slack than I’d like with clutch in but it works fine. I haven’t had it come off once since installation of retainers. I got it up to 13mph on GPS, and probably could’ve gotten more out of it but the brake barely works. I guess that’s next.

Finally getting satisfied with this thing. Thanks for all the help and suggestions thus far!

“Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 C6df1910
“Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 D8979610
“Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Fb452c10
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 10:48 pm

Nice! I tried to put belt retainers on my stamped frame, but it was a fail. Just made the belt harder to put back on. Glad to see you got though!
Back to top Go down
WayneTrain2000
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
WayneTrain2000

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 10:50 pm

Yeah, changing belts will definitely suck. I already have to remove clutch idler, unbolt shifter link and remove the shifter support bracket to remove belt, and all of those retainers will definitely have to be loosened/removed as well now. But I consider it worth it, just to have a belt that stays on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build   “Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

“Beast” - Craftsman II Utility/Sleeper Build
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Utility, Workhorse, and Pulling Tractors-
Jump to: