All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
2020 Build-off Started, Look for entry instructions HERE! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2019 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-AllisKidD21 . . . 2-Offroad Mudmowers . . . 3-MightyRaze . . . Close vote, all were winners!

[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld

[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2020 8:02 pm

Both lower shock mounts welded up. I plan on having two or three different holes in the top ones for stiffer and softer suspension setup as needed.
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 100_0210

These are some ebay shocks which are a bit shorter than the RFY shocks. 9.5" center to center and 750 lbs? They seem slightly cheaper than the RFY's so we'll see how they work out.
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 100_0211
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
mr.modified

Forum Rep : 118

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2020 1:47 am

Progress on the RS program is getting behind a bit. Several weekends used up without much to show for it. This past weekend I managed to get a few things done. The front suspension has caused considerable frustration as stated earlier and it seems that the best option now is to not use the rack and pinion setup for steering. I have a rough idea to have a shaft mounted in the center of the front frame rails and run tie rods out from there. Maybe up near the steering wheel or somewhere along the shaft there will be some sort of gear reduction. For now I've installed all the lock nuts on the hiem joints and am ready to make final adjustments, tighten, and mark the arms in their respective locations in case I need to remove them for paint. The joints will stay in during painting later on. I had the arms fitting pretty well after welding, but after welding in the shock mounting brackets to the lower arms, I think the lower arms have distorted again slightly and I had to spread the one side with a scissor jack to get it to fit.  
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0213

Meanwhile in the engine dept. This is one of two stock engines that I had from doug. Older engines, both 42CI with the shorter crank shaft I need for the RS. The three race engines I bought have extended cranks and would be a problem to use. Originally, I planned on using one of the race blocks that had already been ported, but many of the manifold bolt holes are stripped or have messed up threads. Instead, I decided to use one of the Doug blocks and port it myself. One had been run out of oil at one point and had a scarred crank. This one had some cylinder wear but at least no gouging. The cylinders had a ridge but were smooth. I removed the ridge with a ridge reamer and gave the cylinders a quick hone.
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0211

The plan is to use one of the race cams from one of the race engines. It seems to be somewhat mild but more duration than stock. I'll try to get away with using new exhaust valve springs on all four valves to add some reliability. The race springs seemed to be hard on the valve stems and lifters in the race engines. Cleaned out all the manifold threads on this block and still need to port it. Having some trouble getting replacement parts online. The next step on the front end is to fab the upper shock mounts and weld them to the frame. The pretty much the steering is the only part left up there. To speed things along I think It might be best to bypass steering until the frame is mostly complete. At this point I would say Haspin with this thing is pretty much out of the question. I'm still going to attempt a push for the TTC though.
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0212
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2020 10:14 pm

Ordered a 1" full keyed rear axle 40" length, gas and brake pedal, 6" diameter brake rotor, and 4 1" pillow block bearing for the rear end.
Did a crude check tonight of gear ratios of the 633a in 1-3 in high range.

633a transaxle, high range:
Gear 1-- 56 to 1
Gear 2-- 30.33 to 1
Gear 3-- 18.25 to 1

Now when I feel like it I can start working out some pulley and final drive sprocket sizes
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
RichieRichOverdrive

Forum Rep : 117

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2020 10:27 am

Looking good mr moo. That suspension setup looks strong.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
Creepycrawler

Forum Rep : 60

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2020 1:45 pm

I think your making the right decision to give the front steering a break and work else ware. Love seeing a oppy go together
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2020 6:46 pm

Thanks, do any of you guys know a good online spot to get opposed valve springs and various stuff?
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2020 12:07 pm

Front suspension shock mounts are pretty much completed.
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0214

Because I assumed the angle on the shocks to be almost too much anyway, I opted to go with only one position for the upper mounting instead of multiple mounting holes. It also simplified the bracket and saved some time.
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0216

I pushed on the front end a bit to get a feel for it and it will hold 150-170 lbs or so with maybe 3/4" of sag. That's just a guess not an exact measurement. But it feels like it won't be ultra soft and not too stiff either. Probably stiffer than the #64 adventure edition though as it's setup now. They are 700-750lb springs.
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0215

Time will tell if the shocks themselves have much resistance to them or not. If needed I can add golf cart shocks along side the coil overs.  
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0217

I also weighed the front end as seen in the pic with wheels attached. 81 lbs so far. That's not light but also not too far off since it's the whole front suspension and forward half of the frame with wheels. 81 lbs plus 100 lbs for the opposed, plus 75 for the 633a transaxle brings us up to 256 lbs. There's still a lot of things to add but we're still on track for a hopefully max 500 lb machine. I could have skimped on the front end steel, it's pretty beefy as it is. But I think I would rather have the extra weight vs break the front end all the time. Besides that, it's all nice and low with none of it over the top of the tires. Should make for a nice planted feel. I don't think tipping sideways will be much of an issue. Actual measured ground clearance 6-3/4" under the skid plate.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2020 10:12 pm

Worked on the engine mounting plate. Here is a stock one and the one I changed for comparison.
I cut the ends down a bit and added gussets along the length of both sides. They do not interfere with the engine.
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0222

Better view of the gusset seen from the bottom of the mounting plate.
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0223

Minor changes were made to the original plan. I intended on having 9" of ground clearance in the middle of the frame
but this was reduced to about 7" same as the front. Also, instead of having the engine completely centered, I decided to move it slightly to the left (only about 3/4") for better belt clearance.
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0219

Seen from the bottom, more gussets will be added later on.
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0221

Mock up engine in place.
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0218

Left front tire to engine clearance. A bit hard to see from this angle but it should be good to go.
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0220

[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0224

Left side
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0225

I also did some better measurements on the front suspension to see if I would need extra bump stops or not. It seems the shocks will bottom out before the suspension arms bind up, so that should be good. Also I'll have much more travel than I originally thought. I was hoping for at least 3-4" of travel but it seems I'll end up with about 5" at the wheel. So not too bad. It should be good for high speeds over rough stuff.
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 240_0226
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
RichieRichOverdrive

Forum Rep : 117

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2020 10:14 pm

This is shaping up very cool. How are you going to run steering over the engine?
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2020 11:04 pm

Thank you. I'm thinking with two universal joints. The steering shaft will be held somewhere above the engine. There's going to be a sort of upper cage over everything.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Prybar
Prybar
Murraymountain

Forum Rep : 56

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2020 9:38 am

Looking really good! After looking at your tire to engine clearance, it looks like it will hit when the suspension allows the tire to move upward. It could be the camera angle though.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2020 7:06 pm

Thanks a lot!
The tire should move away slightly as the suspension comes up, it is somewhat close but I think it'll be ok. I figured in a worst case scenario, I could mod the shroud to clear the tire.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
BoogerWeld
BoogerWeld
CraftsmanQuad19

Forum Rep : 137

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2020 9:08 pm

@mr.modified wrote:
Thanks a lot!
The tire should move away slightly as the suspension comes up, it is somewhat close but I think it'll be ok. I figured in a worst case scenario, I could mod the shroud to clear the tire.

Ah yes, the ol sledgehammer mod
Back to top Go down
mrshaft696
Vice Grip
Vice Grip
mrshaft696

Forum Rep : 99

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2020 7:48 am

@mr.modified wrote:
Thanks, do any of you guys know a good online spot to get opposed valve springs and various stuff?

I have a ratty vertical one you can have, missing carb and tins, had a bunch of mice, but internally complete....

looking pretty custom so far man, gonna be like a buggy...
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 5:01 pm

Thanks for the offer mrshaft but I was gonna try to find some new stuff somewhere. For some reason I had some trouble locating the parts online. I have a surplus of used engines here now so I can piece it together no prob if need be. Haven't got much progress lately, just been busy.

And yeah craftsmanquad, the old sledge hammer trick will fix anything that doesn't turn out quite right.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 11:20 pm

Update for this month to stay within build off rules. I hate to post without a pic, but I've been kinda busy. I did receive the rear axle, bearings, brake rotor, and all that stuff in the mail. Have not done any math yet on the gearing. At this point I'm going to focus on the #64 Simplicity the next couple weekends to get ready for Haspin 2020, but the next thing I want to do with the RS project is do some mild port work on the engine block so I can start putting it together.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 11:24 pm

June's super update... Uh... Well I haven't made any more progress with Haspin going on. Since this won't be ready for the TTC in August this year, I'll be focusing on temporary mods to the Adventure Edition to make it a bit more competitive.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 498

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2020 11:30 pm

Any updates?  No updates?

Forum Admin -- Chat Admin-- Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page --How To Upload Pictures

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2020 9:23 am

Unfortunately, no updates. I borrowed the RS shocks to swap onto the adventure edition for the TTC because they lower the front end about 2". I think i'm gonna switch back though because they're a bit too stiff.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
mr.modified

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2020 8:56 pm

Tested out the broadmoor rs shocks on the #64 during the 2020 Top Tractor Challenge. They we're a little stiff for this machine with around 60lbs of weight removed from the front end. But they did give a bit and held up to some pounding. This year's TTC proved to have a few more rough spots with the rock crawl and a big concrete slab pile. I'm not so sure that the RS design would have been up to it with it's 5 or 6" of ground clearance. In all the open sections, steep ramps, dirt piles, tire obstacle, I think it would do well. It would certainly suffer in the mud run with it's small tires and low clearance. The hill climb would have been no problem at all as it was mostly a smooth run. I think at haspin it would definately be decent for hills and higher speed. I'm starting to think that as a TTC competitor though, I probably went a bit too far with the design. Something in between the RS design and the conventional setup would probably be better....
[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 244_0327
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 498

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 2:27 pm

[adm]Per Rules and guidelines:
Entrants MUST update their thread at least monthly detailing progress, with either write-ups, videos and/or photos.

If you cannot work on the project right now, please let us know.
[/adm]

Forum Admin -- Chat Admin-- Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page --How To Upload Pictures

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS   [2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[2020 Build-Off Entry] Mr.Modified's Simplicity Broadmoor RS
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Build-Off Competition :: Build-Off Competition Threads-
Jump to: