All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension

Go down 
+6
prancstaman
mr.modified
darkside0914
Murraymountain
Tour1
murphyslaw
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
murphyslaw
murphyslaw

rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Empty
PostSubject: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2021, 2:04 am

So I was working on my build for the first time, day 1. As I was pulling the rear wheels off I noticed that very unfortunately my axle is slightly bent. I was pretty bummed about it but I didn't want to let that stop me and I happen to have a spare solid go-kart axle. I was thinking that I could just get some pillow bearings and mount them to the frame so I could just use that as my axle and use a CVT for my transmission. Would be fine but the V-Twin engine has a vertical shaft.. so I was thinking I could just cut down that transaxle to make it a 90° gear box.. then I thought, why don't I just leave it, put a swing arm on that transaxle where the wheels would normally go and run my axle on the end of that swing arm and extend the frame out over the swing arm. Just like a sports ATV. It would allow great rear suspension and would solve the issue of me not enough leg room as well as a much needed longer wheel base. What to you guys think? Did I explain my idea correctly? Let me know if you have questions.
Back to top Go down
Tour1

rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2021, 2:40 am

I was thinking of something similar but just using tracks the size of the swing arm, like the tracks at the pivot on the swing arm would have no suspension but the free ends could go up & down.  Maybe a similar setup for the fronts but they would still steer.  Or add clutches and 1/2" drill drives to the fronts for tight spots.
I'm thinking of preventing back flips and climbing bigger obstacles more than adding speed or comfort.
Sticking to your idea, though, bicycle parts might adapt well to the task of power transmission and save the hassle of building or buying tracks. Everything adds weight though.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2021, 12:05 pm

Dang it you! lol! If I'm understanding you right, this is kind of the idea I've been planning for my mowers. I haven't said anything about it yet.

Anyway, if this is what I'm thinking it is, yeah I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2020 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2021, 2:04 am

the idea is sound and as long as the drive sprocket and swing arm pivot are on the same shaft there should be no need for a tensioner sprocket, it would be something similar to cars and cameras monster truck go cart set up
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2021, 4:16 am

That was my plan for my Broadmoor R/S build. It should work pretty nice if you did it that way really. I just planned on putting some pillow block bearings on the original transaxle, and making a swing arm of some type from there. Couple more pillow blocks on a straight go kart axle and connect them with a chain to drive it. Then you can put a disk brake setup on there or whatever too. Of course if you wanna chain drive it from one side only, you'll have to lock the diff. And as darkside said, if the drive chain is on the pivot point (transaxle axle) then you don't need a spring loaded tensioner or anything because the chain won't get any looser/tighter with the suspension movement. Although you'll still need some way to adjust the chain. Be that an idler or slotted holes for the pillow blocks somewhere to move the whole axle back.
Back to top Go down
murphyslaw
murphyslaw

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2021, 12:58 pm

Thanks you guys for the reinforcement of the idea. I'm glad to hear that some of you have had the same one.
@tour1 using that idea for tracks is a pretty cool one too. If you end up implementing it I would love to see the progress that you have.
@murraymountain I was thinking about not saying anything and having it be a surprise after I built it but I figured running it by you guys to see what you thought would be more valuable. I've never had a group like this for projects. If you get underway with this plan I'd be happy to collaborate.
@mr.modified @darkside0914 yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Forgot about still having to lock the rear differential.. with the use of pillow bearings and having the drive share the same as the pivot it will be nice not to have to incorporate some sort of tensioner. I like the idea of having slotted holes to adjust for chain tension and stretching over time.
There was this one video I saw by YouTuber titled rather be welding. He's working on an impressive go-kart buggy that incorporates this type of swing arm action but has two separate swing arms for each side with their own drive chains. this could also be incorporated into that build very easily. It would allow for independent suspension in the back.
Back to top Go down
murphyslaw
murphyslaw

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2021, 1:01 pm

This is what it would end up looking kind of like.rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Screen12
rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Screen13
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2021, 7:54 pm

That's an interesting idea for independent rear. Makes it a bit more complicated but it's do-able. Well I guess it wouldn't even be that much more work. Only thing that you may have with that is some more twisting force if you still wanted to hook them on the original transaxle for a pivot. When you come off a bank sideways or something and the wheel has some side pressure, it would be sorta like having a really large diameter wheel on the stock axle because of how long the swing arm is. If you just have a solid rear, both sides would brace against each other. Kinda funny about 5 years ago, everyone on here was just starting to try front suspensions, now we're finally starting to get some rear suspensions going!
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2021, 10:23 pm

A peerless 700 would be a good choice to do the swing arm thing. A regular transaxle would work good too but keep the open diff if you plan on running chains to each rear wheels because if one wheel compresses then that force would be transferred to the other rear wheel through the chains and would probably snap the chains with a locked diff. When one wheel goes up, it spins and if the other wheel is planted to the ground then something will have to give by either the wheel going up is slipping or the force snaps the chain. I think rather be welding hasn't gotten that far yet. A single chain from a regular transaxle would be good if you lock the diff like mr.modified said with an atv swingarm setup. If I'm thinking right.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2021, 11:39 pm

to me the independant setup would be something for desert style racing where you need to take big bumps/jumps at high speeds, it seems to be a lot more work than necessary for a tractor bombing through the woods, the solid axle swing arm would be more than adequate for that, and it's senseless, at least IMO, to have the independant rear if you don't have front suspension too,
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2021, 12:11 am

The thing I think about with independent rear suspension on a Lawn Tractor is a recipe for trouble.  I could be wrong.  I would have to ponder about it more.  hmm

rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Sig214rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Sig314
Back to top Go down
BlakeGroce
BlakeGroce

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2021, 7:21 pm

Here's a video that might give you some more ideas.
Back to top Go down
murphyslaw
murphyslaw

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2021, 10:18 pm

That video Blake posted is very cool. Thanks for posting it! Quite similar to what I was thinking but the swing arm would ride at like a 30° angle instead of parallel to the frame. It was impressive how much extra traction he was able to get. When I'm done with my build I would like it to be able to drive more like a sports quad than a tractor.
That independent rear suspension is nifty but I agree that a single swing arm instead of two independent ones would be plenty sufficient, it wouldn't be too much more complicated to make them separate but I feel like starting out with making it as simple as possible and then later on making it more complicated is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
BlakeGroce
BlakeGroce

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2021, 8:27 pm

I think that independent rear suspension would definitely be cool! Would be pretty good at rock crawling and would also be a smooth ride. I guess my only concern would be cornering real fast but I'm sure you could get some pretty stiff shocks or even adjustable ones, then you could play around with spring rate and all that.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2021, 11:45 pm

The independent swingarms would be really good at not high-centering because there’s no center to high HAHA!
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2021, 12:19 pm

I think the thing to remember is you don't need all that much travel to make a huge huge difference over  being solid. My front end on the simplicity has only about 2.5" of travel and that's a big help for 15mph or so over some pretty rough ground. Unless you really wanna tear over stuff at high speed out in the open, you don't need 6" of travel or anything. I think most of what we do in the woods ect is always gonna be somewhat slow speed because tractors aren't nearly as wide as atv's ect. Unless your gonna widen it way out.

Point being, it's a bit easier to make a suspension when your not trying to have a ton of travel. Just easier to make it all work.
Back to top Go down
murphyslaw
murphyslaw

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2021, 3:34 pm

That's a good point about not needing a ton of swing arm length and smaller is simpler. I want it to be simple. You guys bring up things that I didn't think about before and are really good to consider before getting into it too far. I also haven't decided what wheel size I'm going with and that will be factored into how long the arms need to be. I don't really plan to putter around the woods with this. I want it to be able compete with and in some cases outperform most sports quads. I'm going to be adding a topic specifically for the build soon. Is the front end of your simplicity A arms?
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2021, 6:46 pm

It’s a solid axle mono link with coilovers IIRC
Back to top Go down
BlakeGroce
BlakeGroce

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2021, 11:46 pm

murphyslaw wrote:
I don't really plan to putter around the woods with this. I want it to be able compete with and in some cases outperform most sports quads.

I've always thought about doing something like this and I think it would be something different and honestly more fun. I always thought it would be cool to have a tractor that had full suspension and alot of power, something you could jump, something that handles really well, and overall something you could just beat on and still be able to walk the next day! lol!

Something like what grindhardplumingco on YouTube does with power wheels....but just on a mower. I know the only thing that would still be a mower would be the body but it's not any different than what they do.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2021, 11:35 pm

basically you want to do something like this guy is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMxYjoCa8I
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2021, 11:41 pm

darkside0914 wrote:

I've been watching that dude for a little while now myself.

rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Sig214rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Sig314
Back to top Go down
murphyslaw
murphyslaw

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2021, 8:31 am

Wow yes! That's an awesome build! A great place to draw inspiration from. I'm thinking something similar but 2x4 and no cv joints. It looks like the only stock parts on there are the body parts, at that point you might as well just build a custom utv/go kart. I'd like to incorporate a lot more stock parts.
Back to top Go down
darkside0914
Established Member
darkside0914
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2021, 7:57 pm

@MightyRaze that thing is going to be a beast, personally i would have gone wider for the sake of stability, considering the power it's going to have and the high center of gravity, i think he'll find it difficult to handle well at speed
Back to top Go down
BlakeGroce
BlakeGroce

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2021, 3:28 pm

darkside0914 wrote:

Yes that's what I was thinking, just 2wd and alot more to scale....atleast in my head.
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2021, 3:52 pm

This got me thinking... If someone moved a transaxle forward, left it unlocked, and ran chains back to the suspended axle, it would be very impressive if they joined both sections with an electric clutch or something of that nature. That way you could get an electric locking differential. I won’t tell you how to build your machine, and I don’t know how well it would work because I’m still learning a lot about this but it would be cool to see it done! You certainly have a very clever idea!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension   rear - Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Theory of extended rear end for atv type swing arm to facilitate true & simple full suspension
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next