All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2020 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-Hillbilly Offroading . . . 2-darkside0914
HASPIN 2021 . . . Wednesday June 23rd through Sunday June 27th.
2021 Top Tractor Challenge August 14 competition –August 15 competitors ride, Pymatuning Pennsylvania **INFO HERE**
No 2021 Build-Off. Will return in 2022. Stay tuned later this year for rule changes!

Newbie from BC, Canada

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
CraftsmanQuad19
DimeWeld
DimeWeld

Newbie from BC, Canada - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from BC, Canada   Newbie from BC, Canada - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2021 7:15 am

I think it’s down by the steering box on the pedal shaft that runs across the frame, but it’s been so long since I’ve taken mine apart
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Prybar
Prybar
Murraymountain

Forum Rep : 65

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from BC, Canada   Newbie from BC, Canada - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2021 11:41 am

I don't think it is directly under the solenoid, but I know it's in that area.

Also, if you need to replace the switch, it's very generic. This is what you're looking for. They can be found in any LT AYP chassis.

Newbie from BC, Canada - Page 3 Screen22
Back to top Go down
mh434
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
mh434

Forum Rep : 2

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from BC, Canada   Newbie from BC, Canada - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2021 11:55 am

Thanks - I'll have a look there. They sure don't make 'em easy to find - I can understand them not wanting people to delete safeties, but if you need to repair one, like I do, it shouldn't be a secret!
Back to top Go down
mh434
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
mh434

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from BC, Canada   Newbie from BC, Canada - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 3:02 am

I thought it was time to post a few pics of my beater tractor. I'm gonna wash it down, I swear! Once it's running well, at least! Very Happy

I finished installing my foot throttle today, and it works pretty well. It needs paint etc., but it's going to work, I think.

The engine's running a bit rough, and I'm getting some black smoke in the exhaust (even after cleaning & gapping the plugs, which were pretty sooty - running rich, I think). I've ordered a full carb rebuild kit, and I'm hoping that will help.

Funny, after finalizing all the throttle connections I fired it up, and it only ran about 3 seconds & quit. Wouldn't re-start for anything. I was trying to figure out what I must have done wrong when I happened to glance at the fuel filter & it was empty. Duh!! I ran out of gas.... Rolling Eyes

Once refilled, it was still running rough & ragged, so the carb kit will hopefully help. I can't get full throttle out of the engine at the moment as it stumbles too much - it may have swallowed some crud from the bottom of the fuel tank, as I never removed & cleaned it out. Small stuff, though...I can fix it.

Here's a few pix:

Newbie from BC, Canada - Page 3 CyfUv4V

My new throttle -

Newbie from BC, Canada - Page 3 KJOHHsm

Nice bright lights -

Newbie from BC, Canada - Page 3 83r2Mwq

Gotta have taillights, too, right?

Newbie from BC, Canada - Page 3 DqB4FHp

Rear end....

Newbie from BC, Canada - Page 3 ESx1dZz

The engine...

Newbie from BC, Canada - Page 3 YbQWbMO

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
mh434
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
mh434

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from BC, Canada   Newbie from BC, Canada - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 3:19 am

Today I pulled out the front axle to address the wobbly front end.  I had over 1/4" play back and forth at each end, and that added, unintentional steering made it scary at 30 mph.

The plastic bushing was worn to paper thin, and even worn completely through in one area.  I had originally planned on using PTFE (Delrin) to machine a bushing, but I didn't have any big enough to make one.  

**I looked in my manual, found the part number for the original plastic bearing, and searched it on Amazon. The pictures of it look like it has about 1/4" wall thickness. However, on my Craftsman, the steel sleeve is 7/8" outside diameter, and the axle pivot hole is 1" inside diameter. That means that the bearing itself must have only a 1/16" wall thickness. For anyone who's done this repair, does that seem right??**

What I did have was some T-6061-T6 aluminum, so I made the bushing out of that.  I have absolutely no idea how it will stand up, but I figured I'd give it a shot.  I cleaned up all the surfaces, greased it up, and put it back together.  

Turns out, there was still significant play.  There's a steel sleeve inside the bearing, and its length means there's quite a bit of wobble room between the mounting plates and the axle.  It was just too long.  So, I chucked it in my lathe & machined the ends so they're flat, and removed several thousandths from its length.  I couldn't take off too much, or the axle would grate against the mounting plates.

Of course, the steel sleeve is a "casual" fit around the securing bolt, too.

After greasing it all up & reassembling it, I got rid of all but about 1/8" total play (1/16" fore and aft at each end).  Thanks to my new (CHEAP!  $39!!) corded impact wrench putting it all back together was pretty easy.

I took it for a spin, and the steering (while still spooky) was quite improved.

Next, rebuild the carb.

Onward & upward!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from BC, Canada   Newbie from BC, Canada - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie from BC, Canada
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: New Member Forum :: Introduce Yourself Here!-
Jump to: