All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Loose steering arm assembly

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
petehouk

Loose steering arm assembly Empty
PostSubject: Loose steering arm assembly   Loose steering arm assembly Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2021, 7:41 pm

Hi everyone.  Posting with my first question for the ATLTF.  I have a GE Elec-Trak from the mid '70s and I am trying to get the steering to be a little more precise.  The main problem I have is that the steering arm gets loose on the lower shaft.  The arm is held onto the shaft with a Woodruff key and a set screw.  From talking to other Elec-Trak owners, I gather that Woodruff keys are not great for the back-and-forth motion that a steering shaft has to withstand.

I'd like to replace it with a splined connection of some kind.  I was thinking about cutting the shaft and welding on a splined shaft.  Then I could make a new steering arm assembly out of a splined coupler.  

I found a shaft and a coupler that might work.  But maybe someone here can recommend a donor part from a more modern tractor?  Or maybe another way for getting a more solid joint between the shaft and the coupling?  

Shaft:
https://www.nexgenoffroad.com/product-p/425244-12.htm
Coupler:
https://www.nexgenoffroad.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3142

Thanks in advance for your help!
Back to top Go down
petehouk

PostSubject: Re: Loose steering arm assembly   Loose steering arm assembly Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2021, 7:43 pm

A photo and a diagram of the steering on the ET.

Loose steering arm assembly Steeri12

Loose steering arm assembly Steeri13
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Loose steering arm assembly   Loose steering arm assembly Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2021, 9:08 pm

Could you maybe weld the keyed shaft to the arm, or does it need to be serviceable?
The other thing that might work is to drill a hole and insert a roll pin or two. They are stiff and hold up well to rotational forces, the White 2055 in my avatar uses one on the brake lever with no play and one at the blower’s U joint which holds up pretty well. That and you can replace the roll pins as they wear.

Last edited by Rustbucket Garage on February 8th 2021, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Loose steering arm assembly   Loose steering arm assembly Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2021, 9:22 pm

For a splined shaft, the MTD FNR transaxles usually have a splined input shaft. If you found one of those transaxles or even the whole tractor, you could possibly weld the input shaft onto the steering shaft as you said, then use the MTD pulley hub to make your pitman arm. Cant say for sure how strong it would be but thought I’d throw it out there
Back to top Go down
petehouk

PostSubject: Re: Loose steering arm assembly   Loose steering arm assembly Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2021, 6:58 am

Rustbucket Garage wrote:
Could you maybe weld the keyed shaft to the arm, or does it need to be serviceable?
The other thing that might work is to drill a hole and insert a roll pin or two. They are stiff and hold up well to rotational forces, the White 2055 in my avatar uses one on the brake lever with no play and one at the blower’s U joint which holds up pretty well. That and you can replace the roll pins as they wear.

A few times I have come close to just welding that thing on (out of frustration). But if I did, then it wouldn't be serviceable without grinding off the weld. There are some components in the body of the tractor that require removal of the steering shaft support in order to get to them. I guess I don't need to remove it that often, but something will probably break in there about 20 minutes after I weld that thing on...

About the roll pins...I have three steering shafts in my possession, two of them are on tractors. I haven't done much to one, but I did use it last winter with the snow blower attachment. That one has a single roll pin. After some limited use, the roll pin broke, then the replacement roll pin broke shortly after that. So when I was choosing a steering shaft for the tractor I refurbished, I chose the one shaft and arm that had a woodruff key. But now that woodruff key doesn't seem to be doing much better. It has never failed completely (as the roll pins did), but it is getting VERY sloppy. Until Rustbucket suggested it, I had not considered adding a roll pin (or two) to the shaft with the keyway--that is not a bad idea at all. I just might be able to do that on the tractor, and if it fails, these are all parts that would be replaced if I put a splined shaft on there.

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Loose steering arm assembly   Loose steering arm assembly Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2021, 8:19 am

How large are the roll pins? A larger one would be more resistant to breakage, being the larger surface area.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Loose steering arm assembly   Loose steering arm assembly Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2021, 9:26 am

I guess you could cut the bottom of the shaft off and weld a splined part on, then fab up a new steering arm to fit on the splines. On the other hand, if you just weld it for now, you wouldn't be much worse off for awhile because you were planning on changing it anyway. Could just weld it and see how it goes for awhile. Might not have to take it apart for a really long time. I always thought about trying to find one of those tractors, they're kinda cool.
Back to top Go down
petehouk

PostSubject: Re: Loose steering arm assembly   Loose steering arm assembly Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2021, 5:53 pm

mr.modified wrote:
I guess you could cut the bottom of the shaft off and weld a splined part on, then fab up a new steering arm to fit on the splines. On the other hand, if you just weld it for now, you wouldn't be much worse off for awhile because you were planning on changing it anyway. Could just weld it and see how it goes for awhile. Might not have to take it apart for a really long time. I always thought about trying to find one of those tractors, they're kinda cool.

Hey Mr. Modified. Good news! You shouldn't have to go far to find an Elec-Trak. Most of them that are left appear to be in Pennsylvania and New York. I drove from Ann Arbor to Albany to get mine. That was a long haul.
Back to top Go down
petehouk

PostSubject: Re: Loose steering arm assembly   Loose steering arm assembly Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2021, 5:53 pm

mr.modified wrote:

Hey Mr. Modified. Good news! You shouldn't have to go far to find an Elec-Trak. Most of them that are left appear to be in Pennsylvania and New York. I drove from Ann Arbor to Albany to get mine. That was a long haul.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Loose steering arm assembly   Loose steering arm assembly Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2021, 9:08 am

If I didn't have so many other projects I might track one down. They're interesting for sure. Don't they have a couple of volt meter's in the dash? Do you mow with yours still?
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Loose steering arm assembly   Loose steering arm assembly Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2021, 1:33 pm

How many hours can you drive for with a setup like that?

Also, Lithium/Lead Acid/NiCad batteries?

That tractor is VERY cool. alien
Back to top Go down
petehouk

PostSubject: Re: Loose steering arm assembly   Loose steering arm assembly Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2021, 6:14 pm

@Rustbucket Garage Thanks!
@mr.modified Yes I do still mow and plow snow with one of them. The other one is not running now but I think it will be a spring-time project.

By the time I got my E10Ms (one with a mower deck and one with a snow thrower) the volt meters (so-called "fuel gauges") had been replaced with multi-meters that were stuck onto the dash panel. I found a replacement fuel gauge, but I wanted something that would also show the current draw so I replaced that with a digital display that toggles every 5 seconds between V and A.

I don't have a huge yard and the main reason I wanted this thing was for snow removal, not mowing. But I'll spend an 45 minutes or an hour mowing if I really take my time and do a cross-cut to get all the clippings chopped up. It goes for that long with no problem. It has 6 6v lead acid golf cart batteries that are now 4 or 5 years old. They probably need to be replaced in few years.

We have a Sunday soccer game at a park that's about a mile from my house. The city is not timely about mowing and in June and July the grass can get pretty tall. If things are back to normal and we are playing soccer again this summer, I think I'll go over there and give the field a cut. That would be a real test for the batteries--drive a mile, mow a field, then drive home! I honestly have no idea if I would have enough juice for that!
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Loose steering arm assembly   Loose steering arm assembly Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2021, 12:25 am

Cool! I think they're pretty interesting. Just cool that a company actually made them and sold them in decent quantities. I don't know if any other companies made a battery powered ride on mower.
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Loose steering arm assembly   Loose steering arm assembly Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2021, 3:52 pm

petehouk wrote:
Rustbucket Garage wrote:

A few times I have come close to just welding that thing on (out of frustration).  But if I did, then it wouldn't be serviceable without grinding off the weld.  There are some components in the body of the tractor that require removal of the steering shaft support in order to get to them.  I guess I don't need to remove it that often, but something will probably break in there about 20 minutes after I weld that thing on...

About the roll pins...I have three steering shafts in my possession, two of them are on tractors.  I haven't done much to one, but I did use it last winter with the snow blower attachment.  That one has a single roll pin.  After some limited use, the roll pin broke, then the replacement roll pin broke shortly after that.  So when I was choosing a steering shaft for the tractor I refurbished, I chose the one shaft and arm that had a woodruff key.  But now that woodruff key doesn't seem to be doing much better.  It has never failed completely (as the roll pins did), but it is getting VERY sloppy.  Until Rustbucket suggested it, I had not considered adding a roll pin (or two) to the shaft with the keyway--that is not a bad idea at all.  I just might be able to do that on the tractor, and if it fails, these are all parts that would be replaced if I put a splined shaft on there.  

Old topic I know, but instead of a roll pin what about a grade 8 bolt?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loose steering arm assembly   Loose steering arm assembly Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Loose steering arm assembly
Page 1 of 1