All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

my first build craftsman/murray

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
freetroy
freetroy

murray - my first build craftsman/murray Empty
PostSubject: my first build craftsman/murray   murray - my first build craftsman/murray Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2021, 1:17 am

hi y'all this is my first build im really looking forward to building this ridemurray - my first build craftsman/murray 20210414
murray - my first build craftsman/murray 20210413
murray - my first build craftsman/murray 20210412murray - my first build craftsman/murray 20210416
murray - my first build craftsman/murray 20210415
murray - my first build craftsman/murray 20210417murray - my first build craftsman/murray 20210418
murray - my first build craftsman/murray 20210420
murray - my first build craftsman/murray 20210419murray - my first build craftsman/murray 20210422
murray - my first build craftsman/murray 20210423
murray - my first build craftsman/murray 20210421

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
freetroy
freetroy

PostSubject: Re: my first build craftsman/murray   murray - my first build craftsman/murray Icon_minitimeMay 1st 2021, 4:41 pm

hi guys well i got a lot done on my tractor yesterday just been busy on it i am hope to have it up and running by summer time but i hope to have it running sooner
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: my first build craftsman/murray   murray - my first build craftsman/murray Icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2021, 11:14 am

Old square nose Murray with a pan frame. They made those in/around early to mid 90’s. Not a really common model to see these days.

Ok rigs, more in lawn mower territory than GT. That body work will fit up to a briggs oppy 650cc should you ever decide you want to go bigger.

Looks like its got the Murray “shift on the go” system. Thats a gear drive transaxle that you can shift like a hydro. Its not a perfect system, but worth keeping for when you get in the muck and need more wheel speed to clear the lugs.

The electrical system is pretty simple on those. As long as it cranks, it should start. Unless the magneto on the engine is fried, no compression or the carb is gunked up. Here’s the diagram from my 91 if it helps:

murray - my first build craftsman/murray 3c938310

Thats for a magneto system. If your engine uses the electronic version (ignition and coil), that diagram won’t work. Magneto style electrics on an ign coil system fries things and vice versa. I mention the differences since that doesn’t look like the original engine, so I can’t be sure how the ignition is on it. Its an 11hp with pull start, so I’d make a guess it’s a magneto ignition.

Those front light lenses are a PITA to find if you don’t have good ones already. Mine were all cracked and yellowed so rather than hunt for years and overpay for junk, I elected to do away with them on my square nose:

murray - my first build craftsman/murray 92096210

murray - my first build craftsman/murray 52098210

I’m putting in some led lights with integrated marker/flashers:

murray - my first build craftsman/murray 0a1d8110

Lights are inexpensive to buy (I paid just over 20 bucks for a pair off eBay) and the sheetmetal work is just my labor. But it might not be as easy for some one without a decent MIG and the skills to work the metal...

freetroy likes this post

Back to top Go down
freetroy
freetroy

PostSubject: Re: my first build craftsman/murray   murray - my first build craftsman/murray Icon_minitimeMay 3rd 2021, 3:13 am

@TourMax thanks man lucky for me the engine i have is only pull start so all i need is a kill switch so i don't think i will be able to run with lights but maybe later on down the road
Back to top Go down
freetroy
freetroy

PostSubject: Re: my first build craftsman/murray   murray - my first build craftsman/murray Icon_minitimeJune 22nd 2021, 10:31 pm

here is an idea for an IRS tractormurray - my first build craftsman/murray Murray12
murray - my first build craftsman/murray Murray10
murray - my first build craftsman/murray Murray11

Fastman likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: my first build craftsman/murray   murray - my first build craftsman/murray Icon_minitimeJune 22nd 2021, 10:37 pm

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is IRS besides the people who want money?
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: my first build craftsman/murray   murray - my first build craftsman/murray Icon_minitimeJune 22nd 2021, 10:40 pm

Rustbucket Garage wrote:
Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is IRS besides the people who want money?

IRS = Independent Rear Suspension (as IFS is independent front suspension)
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: my first build craftsman/murray   murray - my first build craftsman/murray Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2021, 4:07 pm

Gotcha. Hadn’t heard it that way before! Laughing
Back to top Go down
freetroy
freetroy

PostSubject: Re: my first build craftsman/murray   murray - my first build craftsman/murray Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2021, 4:15 am

Hey guys just let you know that I had to start over on my Facebook page 'cause Facebook ate my first one and I had to start over so if you were friends of mine on Facebook feel free to join me again sorry for the inconvenience having to start over sucks let's just put it at that https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100075289383657
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my first build craftsman/murray   murray - my first build craftsman/murray Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my first build craftsman/murray
Page 1 of 1