All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
Site under minor construction...
No 2021 Build-Off. Will return in 2022. Stay tuned later this year for rule changes!
2021 Top Tractor Challenge Results 1. CreepyCrawler - Tom Zeisler 2. Redzz02 - Sean Meyer 3. Bedestructive - Ryan Deavers 4. Andy Manfred 5. Cooper Lantagne 6. George Irwin 7. Mowbro’s - Ben Hendricks 8. Captain315 - Scotty Andrew 9. Mud mowers from hell, Brian DeLong 10. Mr. Studabaker - Cleetus Joe 11. Mud Mowers from Hell, Sam McCarty 12. Craftsmancrusher - Anthony Cantin

69 Raider 12

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Crazy_Carl
BoogerWeld
BoogerWeld
Crazy_Carl

Forum Rep : 146

69 Raider 12 Empty
PostSubject: 69 Raider 12   69 Raider 12 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 6:55 pm

I've been thinking about getting another Wheel Horse to modify so when this popped up on facebook marketplace for $125 I promptly picked it up.  It is a 1969 Raider 12 with a limited slip 6 speed transmission, and a poorly done 5hp tecumseh snow king swap.
69 Raider 12 Img_5210
69 Raider 12 Img_5211
I'm going to purpose build it for TTC 2021.  I've already ordered an 18hp duromax for it.  Hence the "440" hehe
It will get many of the essential mods that ol red had like locked trans, 10" rear rims, trans brace, a small front bumper and pulley swap.
I have started tearing it down for pressure washing.  There are some issues in the steering to fix like broken steering support, tie rods, and pivot pin. I ordered a new steering support and tie rods. The pin for the hitch was a pain to get out.  The air hammer paid for itself by working the pin back and forth and spraying penetrating oil on it, it eventually came out
69 Raider 12 63f2ab12
69 Raider 12 F9686511
69 Raider 12 C210c411
The beauty of it I've already done this before so I can make good time on this.  I'm going to get the chassis and trans lock done, then swap in the the motor, and deal with the pulley swap and clutch.

Last edited by Crazy_Carl on Sun May 09, 2021 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 546

69 Raider 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 69 Raider 12   69 Raider 12 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 7:24 pm

Welcome back to the tractor game.  Very Happy

TheGreenMachine "coming 2022"
Bowser 01 Murray Widebody LT 
Thor 77 Hydro Sears Suburban
Grandpa 75 Sears ST/16
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
Rustbucket Garage

Forum Rep : 32

69 Raider 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 69 Raider 12   69 Raider 12 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 10:44 pm

Glad to see the start of the new build, those old horses are tough machines! The duromax swap joke was one I was toying with for a while too... put a duromax in a Sears suburban and say to people, “I swapped a duramax in a suburban, wanna see? *Pulls out garden tractor* lol. You got a good deal on that, enjoy the new addition to your stable!
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
BoogerWeld
BoogerWeld
Crazy_Carl

69 Raider 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 69 Raider 12   69 Raider 12 Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2021 3:53 pm

So this is getting the 10 hp K241 from the C-100.  It will be more of a mild/work horse build.  I want aggressive rear tires, unlocked rear end, tri ribs up front, and the implement lift so I can plow with it in the winter.

I have flushed the transmission a couple times with diesel fuel.  It came out filthy the first time and a lot cleaner the second time.  I temporarily EV swapped it to do this.
69 Raider 12 Img_5214

At the moment the K241 has me completely lost.  I had adusted the throttle and reset the governor. The engine started and idled great.  As soon as I gave it gas the engine would rev to the moon so I had assumed the governor was internally messed up until I removed the cam cover and saw the governor gear totally in tact, the plunger, weights, "golf club" were all there and moved freely.  The plastic governor gear looked great but it does move back and forth on the shaft about 1/4" which seems like a lot.  The carburetor was pretty dirty and the air cleaner was almost completely plugged.  I wonder if those has something to do with the revving issue.
69 Raider 12 0321dc10
To Do List:
-tie rods (need to order)
-replace steering column support(in stock)
-order front/rear tires and front wheel bearings
-have rims powder coated
-front axle pivot supports are bent and sloppy which will need repair
-left rear hub is loose, needs a second set screw drilled and tapped
-fix front hood supports
-fix governor issue on K241

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Monkey Wrench
Monkey Wrench
Creepycrawler

Forum Rep : 66

69 Raider 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 69 Raider 12   69 Raider 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 9:53 pm

I really like the direction your going with this, lol be wanted to do something similar myself one day, to me nothing looks as sexy on these tractors as the factory kohler motors. I had a similar revving issue on my zero turn and after much tail chasing it was just out of adjustment and it was terrible to get right, it was extremely picky about how the arm set on the rod, I just kept tinkering with it till it works right, but even now it’s not really perfect, seems like it doesn’t respond to a load like it should and still revs higher than it should, but it mows fine so I’m leaving it be
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
BoogerWeld
BoogerWeld
Crazy_Carl

69 Raider 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 69 Raider 12   69 Raider 12 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2021 6:15 pm

@Creepycrawler I've been thinking about the governor issue and maybe because the governor gear has 1/4" side play on the shaft that is why it is so picky. Maybe I didn't take up that play when I first attempted adjustment. I want to rebuild the carb, bolt it back up, and adjust the governor arm with the cam gear cover off so that I know I have taken up that 1/4". If there's still an issue after that the motor must be torn down.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
BoogerWeld
BoogerWeld
Crazy_Carl

69 Raider 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 69 Raider 12   69 Raider 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2021 6:15 am

so I cleaned the carburetor, replaced the plugged air filter, made sure the governor gear had all the slop taken out when I adjusted it, also the high idle stop on the throttle linkage was a mile off.  I whipped together a test stand and fired it up and it ran great and the governor works exactly like it should.  i’m excited that I have a good donor engine for the tractor and also the old crusty rims have been sent off to get powder coated before I mount up the new rubber.
69 Raider 12 B6832a10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

69 Raider 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 69 Raider 12   69 Raider 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

69 Raider 12
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road & Rally Tractors-
Jump to: