All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2020 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-Hillbilly Offroading . . . 2-darkside0914
HASPIN 2021 . . . Wednesday June 23rd through Sunday June 27th.
2021 Top Tractor Challenge August 14 competition –August 15 competitors ride, Pymatuning Pennsylvania **INFO HERE**
No 2021 Build-Off. Will return in 2022. Stay tuned later this year for rule changes!

Coil over shock spring rates

Go down 
AuthorMessage
80indy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

Coil over shock spring rates Empty
PostSubject: Coil over shock spring rates   Coil over shock spring rates Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2021 4:00 pm

I was going to modify the suspension on my craftsman turbo cool ( it is similar to a LT1000.)
for more front suspension travel . I saw some coil over shocks on Amazon Canada that were for a go cart .
They come in 6 inch and 8 inch tall versions which would work well and they were cheap. The spring rate was 1200 Lbs on all the ones I saw.
This seems incredibly stiff. I don't think my car's are near that. I can get some 13 inch tall ones that are rated 270 Lbs
locally at Princess Auto but they are too tall.
Would a 1200 Lbs work?
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
CraftsmanQuad19

Forum Rep : 152

PostSubject: Re: Coil over shock spring rates   Coil over shock spring rates Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2021 6:08 pm

1200 pounds does seem stiff, but if you got the shorter ones with 1200 pound springs, mount the bottom of the shock closer to the frame on the A arm, and you’ll have more leverage effectively lowering the total spring rate if that makes sense.

If you’re looking to build a solid axle, 1200 is probably far too stiff. @AllosKidD21 is the big suspension guru, so hopefully he chimes in
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
BoogerWeld
BoogerWeld
Crazy_Carl

Forum Rep : 145

PostSubject: Re: Coil over shock spring rates   Coil over shock spring rates Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2021 7:00 pm

Something to consider is if leverage will be a factory in your setup. A swing arm or A arm is sometimes about 2 feet long. If the coilover is mounted away from the wheel, there is quite a mechanical advantage there that multiplies the force transferred to the coilover when you go over a bump. So taking that into consideration, and if you plan on jumping this, that 1200 lb rating starts to make sense, but I don't know what your design or application is.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 542

PostSubject: Re: Coil over shock spring rates   Coil over shock spring rates Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2021 10:46 pm

Kal's is 330lbs each and that is too stiff. I do have them going straight up and down.

Coil over shock spring rates Img_e016

Forum Admin -- Chat Admin-- Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page --How To Upload Pictures

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coil over shock spring rates   Coil over shock spring rates Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coil over shock spring rates
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Chassis Modification :: Suspension and Lift-
Jump to: