All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What tires should I get?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MudMachine95

tires - What tires should I get?  Empty
PostSubject: What tires should I get?    tires - What tires should I get?  Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2021, 8:11 am

Hey y’all. I’m looking at new rear tires for my off road mower and I’m not quite sure what to get. I was thinking about running 22s but the ground clearance gain isn’t big enough to matter to me. I think I want to stick with 20s so it stays level with the 15” fronts. Also there are more 20” tires for a 8” rim. I really want tires with a flatter profile so I don’t wear my tires out on the road as fast. Right now my top picks are SunF A051, Carlisle super lug, or SunF A003 knockoffs. I know a lot of people like mud lites or bear claws but with a locked diff I’m worried about running those.
I do like the super lugs but they are pretty pricy and the tread depth is kinda low. Let me know what you think. My favorite is the A051.

tires - What tires should I get?  8647b410
tires - What tires should I get?  19874d10
tires - What tires should I get?  11d53a10
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What tires should I get?    tires - What tires should I get?  Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2021, 8:22 am

If road use is a thing for you then stay away from ag tires. They do good in mud at slow speeds but on the blacktop they’ll kill your kidneys.
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What tires should I get?    tires - What tires should I get?  Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2021, 11:29 am

It partly depends on what kind of terrain you plan on spending most of your time on but I agree with @Rustbucket Garage to pass on the AGs unless you're machine is going to be more utilitarian. I have a set of the MaxAuto style and can't say (yet) how they do in thick mud but for road, gravel, hard pack and sand they're decent, if I had to choose though I'd go with the A051 as they look like the best all around that could handle everything fairly well. Just my 2 cents!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
MudMachine95

PostSubject: Re: What tires should I get?    tires - What tires should I get?  Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2021, 7:12 pm

Well I live in North Carolina where we don’t have dirt, we have clay. It’s either hard pack or peanut butter and no in between. I ride on hard pack, in grass, on the road, and in mud. I think the A051s will be a good all around and they should grab in reverse too which is important because sometimes I need to backup my trailer. I like the price tag on the MaxAuto but I don’t think they’re going to do too good in the mud. I’m worried to see how the A051s hold up on the road as I think they are a softer tire but hey I can’t have it all in one tire.

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What tires should I get?    tires - What tires should I get?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What tires should I get?
Page 1 of 1