All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder

Go down 
+12
nanner161988
FatMike
Budget_gokart
Rustbucket Garage
MN mudder
Murraymountain
Nevadablue
mr.modified
TechnoChicken
diddie
MightyRaze
Brianator
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2022, 12:15 pm

I started working on a wiring diagram yesterday for this beast and finished it up today, there's not a stitch of wiring left in the tractor itself so I'm starting from scratch! I used these diagrams as a base to come up with my own, you'll notice some things X'd out as they don't apply to what I'm doing.Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220180

I thought I'd be smart and try an color coat based on usage but it didn't end up exactly as I envisioned. No matter, this is what I came up with (legend below):Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220185

- RED is main power
- ORANGE is power after accessories
- GREEN are "trigger" wires
- BLUE is "other" I wasn't sure how to classify
- BLACK are grounds

For the ignition ON/OFF and START functions my original design wouldn't work, I realized power would've been fed TO the coil and I don't want that! Lol. I've modified the design so the ignition switch still activates the relay for coil KILL function by using ground as an input on pin 30, the ignition switch also enables the push button to trigger the starting solenoid. It's definitely more complex than it has to be but the ignition switch has its own pilot light and I've had to take these measures to keep the option to use it open. Phew! Crisis averted, I'm glad I go over things several times before jumping in! LolBrianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220187

Most of the the rest is pretty self explanatory aside from the insert which is a pilot light circuit I'd like to test out and see if it works. I do have an ammeter to show if the battery is charging/discharging but I won't be keeping my eyes glued to it and would like a visual warning in case it stops charging so what I'm hoping for is it to come on if the system stops charging!
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220182

How it works is the BLUE wire is where the generator sends the power it's making to the voltage regulator to power everything and charge the battery so that is where I will get the signal to open 87A (Normally Closed) on the relay, power for the light comes from L (LOAD) on the voltage regulator. If the generator stops generating power the relay will turn off closing the circuit on 87a and turning the light on! I'm pretty sure I've gotten it right but before I get into it I'll do some testing with my multimeter and make adjustments as needed.

Last edited by Brianator on February 10th 2022, 4:11 pm; edited 5 times in total

MightyRaze and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2022, 2:42 pm

Well enough of the planning and working on it, time to drive the thing! Lol

I installed a temporary battery and wired it up quick, just enough to start it (electrically) and have a kill switch hooked up...
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220183

...then took it for a blast around the yard and up and down the street plus a little carb tuning while I was at it. The throttle is still creeping down on me so I need to sort that out (again), I like the push/pull for the throttle and now that I've designed the dashboard for it there's not really any going back! Lol.
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220184

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

MightyRaze, Rustbucket Garage and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Established Member
Budget_gokart
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2022, 3:09 pm

im really loving the build all these old tractors makes me really wanna do a restomod like this. my next build is gonna be a craftsman just havent decided the details but its gonna get a dash like that!

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2022, 4:04 pm

Budget_gokart wrote:
im really loving the build all these old tractors makes me really wanna do a restomod like this. my next build is gonna be a craftsman just havent decided the details but its gonna get a dash like that!

Thanks dude! Glad I could give some inspiration! Restomods can be alot of work and expensive I'll tell ya that! Worth it though, every last bit of it!

On another note, when I had another look at my wiring diagram I noticed a fatal flaw in the ignition/start circuit and have corrected it. I left the old diagram up as a reference and explained the modifications in the post.

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)

Last edited by Brianator on April 4th 2022, 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Nevadablue likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2022, 5:45 pm

Thanks for the work you are sharing. This is a fun build. You have more snow than we do. Ours is finally wearing out.
Back to top Go down
diddie
diddie

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2022, 10:21 pm

Looking good ! the Diamond plate dash turned out nice. iv'e worked with some in the past on a golf cart project i built, and ran into the same thing as you where i had to grind down some of the diamonds to get switches to fit right, but worked out. a little advice for you and anyone else that's going to use diamond plate. what i did was buy a cheap old truck tool box and cut it up. some times you can find junk ones for free !

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2022, 11:36 pm

diddie wrote:
Looking good ! the Diamond plate dash turned out nice. iv'e worked with some in the past on a golf cart project i built, and ran into the same thing as you where i had to grind down some of the diamonds to get switches to fit right, but worked out. a little advice for you and anyone else that's going to use diamond plate. what i did was buy a cheap old truck tool box and cut it up. some times you can find junk ones for free !

Yep, that’s how I got mine. WITH a trailer made from a truck frame and utility bed. The aluminum is  perfect and the metal utility bed is giving me great sheet steel for my builds. Keep an eye out for ‘junk’.

cheers

Last edited by Nevadablue on March 13th 2022, 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

diddie likes this post

Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2022, 6:34 am

I always keep an eye out for metal "junk" you can get some really nice steel from old trailers.

diddie likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2022, 10:26 am

Nevadablue wrote:
Thanks for the work you are sharing. This is a fun build. You have more snow than we do. Ours is finally wearing out.

Thanks for listening (to me ramble on)! I've always talked alot! Lol

My All Terrain Tractors:

Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Established Member
Budget_gokart
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2022, 1:19 pm

hey thats a good tip i can get one from my local scrap yard for like 5$!

diddie and Brianator like this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2022, 6:53 pm

It's been quite the successful afternoon for me! I wanted to get the hydraulic lift working properly, UP worked fine but DOWN was very sketchy and unusable. I noticed the pillow block "bushing" was broken so that explains something!
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220188

Lucky me I just happened to have some of these little roller wheels that are the EXACT perfect size AND shape (slightly curved) to fit in the pillow block, all I had to do was grind the rivet down to remove it from its bracket and drill the hole out to 1/4" for it to fit on the lever shaft! Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220189

I made sure the inside of the pillow block was good and clean and I found a knob to use on the end of the lever instead of the fuel line that had been there. Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220190

I installed the bushing and lever, greased the pillow block and installed it...Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220191

... and as a finishing touch installed the knob!  I tested it out and both up and down were working well so it was time to install the plow blade and hook up a lift link!
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220192

I started off slow and easy plowing my path then started getting a little more aggressive at the end of the driveway, it was working so well I turned the blade (manually) to the left and bonzai'd up and down the road carving the banks back... this machine is a tank it didn't struggle even a little bit!  
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220193

After about a half hour of playing with it (which is the longest I've ever run it) I figured it would be a good time to change the engine oil and check the hydro fluid... the engine oil was pretty black and the hydro fluid was down just a touch, it barely leaks but I can see it's still working air out of the system (thanks to the translucent reservoir hose I installed).

I took it for another rip but this time down to the lake and as I was coming back up the hill I stopped and chatted with a neighbor (and took this pic)...
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220194

... then popped in on another neighbor because they're working on a snowmobile. Lol. I took a couple pics of the new and improved dashboard while I was there....last night I installed the pilot light, 3 switches (I need to order a few more) and a horn button (on the bottom right). It's a little close to the throttle but not actually in the way,  I've found (online) a nicer button that matches the flapper on the other side better, is illuminated AND slightly lower profile so I'm going to order it up! I wanted the horn button diagonally up and left in the next space but there's a support rib behind it and I dont want to cut any of them out, what was important to me is that it was easily visible and easy to get to. No big deal if it looks a little out of place, it's still there and looks decent I think! Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220196
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220195

I guess that's it for today, I had a freaking blast with it and have a feeling it's going to be one heck of a good mudder! The throttle creeping down is starting to annoy me so I'm hoping I can find and use a throttle/governor plate on it, even if I have to modify it to fit, I just don't think there is any other way I'll get the push/pull throttle to stay put without it but that's for another day!

You can find a link to the toggle switches with waterproof covers by clicking here.

My All Terrain Tractors:

Last edited by Brianator on March 15th 2022, 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total

MightyRaze, diddie, Nevadablue and FatMike like this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2022, 7:08 pm

Well, it was a decent afternoon to putter away so I made some decent progress!

I wanted to start figuring out the hood so I removed the fuel tank, air filter and spark plug then mounted it to what I believe may have been an original mounting point but I'm actually not sure... there had been a homebuilt lift mechanism bolted on the front and the hood hinge was bolted on top. Anyhoo I bolted it on and had a look and noticed it had a piece added to it to compensate for it sitting more forward than stock! It also sat on top of the dashboard and hung way over it (not pictured) when bolted on without the lift mechanism. With the hood bolted as such it was really high in the front but looked like there MAY be room for the spark plug, I'm not sure yet.
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220204
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220203

When I flipped the hood hinge around it dropped the nose a couple inches, leveled it out nicely and made less overhang on the dashboard so I think I'll set it up like this I actually don't mind it resting on the dashboard and it lifts it that extra little bit. If I rework the curvature of the hood, trim it back a little to match the sides of the dashboard, add some foam rubber and reinforce the dash I think it will be perfect! Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220207
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220205
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220206

One issue is that now it won't clear the spark plug...Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220208

...and I don't like the "bulge" they add to H14/H16 tractors as I think it's ugly so I'll either make my own hood scoop or maybe a full length cowl, I haven't decided yet.Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Screen41

I reconfigured the exhaust (temporarily, again) to clear the hood...
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220209
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220300

... and swapped out the fuel fitting in the carburetor for a 90 degree one to keep the fuel line away from the exhaust.
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220301
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220302

Then I wanted to get back into the fuel tank/battery debacle... I actually put the 16hp tank on my "Frank N' Blower" and hoped the smaller 8hp tank could work... no dice! But it happens to be the perfect size for my 1969 MTD so it's all good! Lol
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220303

All of a sudden the light bulb goes off! I have a fuel tank from a GX200 clone that's not in use because when I put the motor in The Ditchbanger (1987 Suzuki ATV) I used the ATVs tank!  It was looking a little tight but doable so I put a piece of threaded rod in the one tank mount and drilled a hole for it. Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220304

Oh yeah this is looking good but I need more mounting points so I made a little bracket out of the roller wheel bracket that I had removed from the wheel in my previous post about repairing the hydraulic lift controls...
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220305
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220306

... and tack welded it to the tank then a quick shot of paint.  Don't worry,  that tank has been empty and dry for 2 years so there was no risk involved.
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220308
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220307

Because the side mount is on an angle I made an angled "bushing" and tightened up the bolts. As you can see in the third pic it's a little tight but I was able to easily get my 5/16" wrench in there to tighten up that screw. I am planning on adding another mount underneath by using one or both of the existing tank mounts but I need to install a battery and sort out the electronics first.
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220310
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220311
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220309

It's pretty tight up top, I think I'll end up moving the dash back a hair...Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220312

... but look at all that space underneath! Lots of room for the electronics and even a small air compressor!  It IS going to be a recovery rig after all!  Lol.Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220313

I had wanted 2 large tanks but that obviously wasn't going to work out so the large tank in the rear will be my primary and this one will be the reserve tank, you win THIS round @Rustbucket Garage ! Lol
Rustbucket Garage wrote:
I wonder if it would be better to put a reserve under the hood and use the one in the rear as the primary? Seems nice and large and I find opening the hood and trying to refill gas around a hot engine to be a pain but that’s just my 2c.

Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220314

It actually couldn't have worked out any more perfect,  not only do I have enough room for all the electronics underneath but the reserve tank will be gravity fed which means less problems! I'll use it as the primary for now,  I still need to get a fuel pump for the rear tank and figure out a way to get a signal from the engine... that will be for another day!

Let me know what you think!

My All Terrain Tractors:

Last edited by Brianator on April 4th 2022, 12:44 am; edited 9 times in total

MightyRaze and Rustbucket Garage like this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2022, 7:18 pm

Nice progress. A ‘might tight mate’! I love threads like this where lots of little details are shown. This is how I learn… looking at other’s pics and working the ideas into mine. I really like the overhang that protects the dash too.
AND, an air compressor. I think I have one of those little tire inflator things from decades ago. Might have to be used again!

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2022, 7:35 pm

Thanks @Nevadablue! You should've (and probably will) see the overhang with the front of the hood up where I started, it was actually blocking the view! Lol. The Warhorse was getting the air compressor (and still might), I have a little guy ready to go with a nice curly cord on it and everything!

My All Terrain Tractors:

Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2022, 7:54 pm

Are you thinking a compressor with a pump run off the engine? that might be pretty cool?

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2022, 8:01 pm

Nope, a tire inflator! I had an adapter to swap the little hose for a curly cord, I could relocate the gauge to the lower dash also if I wanted (which I might) there's already a hole down on the bottom right corner for some reason. I set this up for The Warhorse but think I'll put it in the Mud Duck and probably another in The Warhorse.
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220315

My All Terrain Tractors:

Back to top Go down
diddie
diddie

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2022, 9:58 pm

It's always good when you are able to put those spare parts to use. Thats why i hate to ever throw anything away lol. I was also thinking of putting one of those inflators on my rig but not looking like there's going to be any room left. So i guess if i have a flat while i'm out and about i'll have to call Mud Duck Recovery !! I hope you don't charge by the mile  Shocked

MightyRaze, Brianator and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2022, 10:06 pm

Derail… I bought a CO2 tank at a yard sale and used it for filling paintball tanks for years. I finally got a proper syphon tank and gave the other tank to a friend who uses it in his 4wd pickup as a tire inflation ‘insurance policy’. A simple regulator (I modified an old oxygen regulator by changing the input nipple to fit the tank) will give you useable pressure range.

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2022, 10:27 pm

@brianator, another idea popped up. I have a little 110 volt inverter that would fit nicely in my rig too. The whole center section of the LT4000 is empty. Air compressor, inverter and probably the battery could go in there. Thinking…

MightyRaze and Brianator like this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2022, 10:40 pm

diddie wrote:
It's always good when you are able to put those spare parts to use. Thats why i hate to ever throw anything away lol. I was also thinking of putting one of those inflators on my rig but not looking like there's going to be any room left. So i guess if i have a flat while i'm out and about i'll have to call Mud Duck Recovery !! I hope you don't charge by the mile  Shocked
Nope by the millimeter! Lol. I had actually bought a new pump for my car so I could use that for The Warhorse, man I gotta get working on it again, been picking away here and there but nothing update worthy and the Mud Duck keeps distracting me!

@Nevadablue Hey that would be unique, you should do it! Could charge your phone or maybe even run a small toaster oven! Hot Pockets and mini pizzas for all! Lol

My All Terrain Tractors:

Back to top Go down
FatMike
FatMike

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2022, 11:08 pm

Brianator wrote:

Nope by the millimeter! Lol. I had actually bought a new pump for my car so I could use that for The Warhorse, man I gotta get working on it again, been picking away here and there but nothing update worthy and the Mud Duck keeps distracting me!

@Nevadablue Hey that would be unique, you should do it! Could charge your phone or maybe even run a small toaster oven! Hot Pockets and mini pizzas for all! Lol

Hmmm....a  roach coach trail-tractor, now that could be a welcome sight seen coming down the trail. Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 1f606

Brianator and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2022, 11:13 pm

I found your first customer @Nevadablue! Now who's hauling the cooler trailer? Lol

My All Terrain Tractors:

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2022, 12:01 am

Cooking on the exhaust pipe. Use the inverter for the coffee pot.

Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2022, 7:11 am

Nevadablue wrote:
Cooking on the exhaust pipe. Use the inverter for the coffee pot.
You could use the exhaust as an air popper for popcorn and direct it into a cup on the fender so you can eat while you drive...
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2022, 10:25 pm

Well no real updates but yesterday I tinkered a little bit to keep working out the battery/electronics. I had a battery figured out I was going to use, it was listed as 325CCA but when I went to the store to buy it, it was only 260CCA... not going to cut it in my books and they didn't have anything else I liked so back to the drawing board!
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220320

I went online on Canadian Tires website and started looking at batteries there. I made cardboard templates of the 2 I liked best and test fit them, the ETX20L (310CCA) wins! It will fit (just) with the new fuel tank and leave enough room for the electronics under the tank as you can see...Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220319

Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220318

... unfortunately there won't be room for the tire inflator AND electronics but I found a nifty little spot under the seat for it that will work perfect! I'll make a box/cover to go over top of the pump to keep it clean and probably use a tube of some sort for the curly cord to keep it secure.
Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220322

Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 20220321

I also have a line on a pair of ITP Mud Lite tires (26x10-12) I can put on it for now for some added traction and to help me figure out the ideal tire I'll go with, I'm thinking 25x10-12 but we'll see.  I've been searching for tires for weeks that are a decent price and not more than an hour away,  these are all I've found so far! It's supposed to warm back up for a couple days so hopefully I'll get some work done!

My All Terrain Tractors:

Last edited by Brianator on February 20th 2022, 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nevadablue and FatMike like this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2022, 8:39 am

Brianator wrote:

One issue is that now it won't clear the spark plug...

...and I don't like the "bulge" they add to H14/H16 tractors as I think it's ugly so I'll either make my own hood scoop or maybe a full length cowl, I haven't decided yet.

Older discussion and I imagine you’ve probably thought about this already but I wonder if it would be beneficial to raise the hood and dash a couple inches. Just my .02

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder    Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder  - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brianator's "Mud Duck"- Tractor Recovery Rig/Mudder
Page 3 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next