All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Front Suspension Tweek

Go down 
+2
Nevadablue
JJF3RD
6 posters
AuthorMessage
JJF3RD

suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Empty
PostSubject: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2022, 11:40 am

As I'm getting this "mission of mercy" back together, thought I'd float this one out there. I wanted something to absorb a bit of the tire bounce & thump against the main rail on varied terrain when I jumped up to the 19's on the front, without rafting into A arms & coil overs etc. for sure. Real $imple but a noticeable difference. Actually softened the ride with the 15 turfs on as well. I used the plow brackets and would suggest onto a bolt on plate for those without said brackets for quick removal if need be . . . 3x3x1/4 angle, 3/4 grade 8's and I had the springs but they're available at the "Dumpo" or "Slowes" . . .

suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Crafti10
suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Crafti11
suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Crafti12

Brianator and FatMike like this post

Back to top Go down
JJF3RD

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2022, 3:56 pm

Incidentally, those are "Hail Mary" repair beads not fungal growths I just painted over at the time LOL. .035 Flux Core (amp setting ?? probably incinerate) in nearly complete darkness with a dying flashlight. Introduce a titch of breath fog inside the helmet and . . . . "Ta Da"! Held fast taking a Hell of a beating while plowing a while later so I'll consider it a win . . .
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2022, 4:12 pm

You appear to have taken welding lessons from me. LOL

It looks like your springs included some tilt stops too. I like that idea, nice work.
Back to top Go down
JJF3RD

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2022, 5:37 pm

I'll be making new bolt on brackets and swap these out when I know there's no more need for the plow (still weeks away here). I'm not diggin' the drop down in front and all other brackets underneath have been removed to fit the skid plates. Craftie won't see any attachments again . . .
Back to top Go down
FatMike
FatMike

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2022, 5:55 pm

It has more to do with the welding machine than the welding person in my opinion.

My home lincoln mig welder 110volt flux core is sloppy but the mig welder at work has gas and is 220volt and I can lay down some beautiful welds with it.
Back to top Go down
JJF3RD

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2022, 6:16 pm

So, I've floated this out to a few places and someone noticed that the bolts in the pics are different. Affirmative! These were taken during the prototype stage and I had carriage & hex's to experiment with. The prices of hardware being what they are and have been, better to write off what one's had in their inventory for about ten years eh?
Back to top Go down
JJF3RD

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2022, 6:33 pm

Hey F'Mike and thanks for the "like". I scored a Lincoln Pro Mig 140 about three years ago and have really enjoyed it. Experimented with both flux & solid at all temps but my favored "go to" is .025/.030 with C25. My limit's at about 1/4" stock and between bevels, pre heating and a few other tricks (most from YT vids), I've done pretty well so far except for thin wall tube stock. Just can't get the "row of dimes" on that stuff. On 3/16 I do ok but anything less . . . holes, lobs & smiles (and not on my face LOL)!
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2022, 6:50 pm

Good idea I like it! How well do you find its working?

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2022, 7:15 pm

JJF3RD wrote:
Hey F'Mike and thanks for the "like". I scored a Lincoln Pro Mig 140 about three years ago and have really enjoyed it. Experimented with both flux & solid at all temps but my favored "go to" is .025/.030 with C25. My limit's at about 1/4" stock and between bevels, pre heating and a few other tricks (most from YT vids), I've done pretty well so far except for thin wall tube stock. Just can't get the "row of dimes" on that stuff. On 3/16 I do ok but anything less . . . holes, lobs & smiles (and not on my face LOL)!      
I've been told anyone who does dimes on a mig is faking it, I done it a couple times, but you really only get that properly on a TIG welder (Actually looking at a multi process right now, it does MIG TIG and stick...)

Nevadablue likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2022, 8:15 pm

Really, there is no faking to it. It is only the ‘look’ that they call stacked dimes. They result from technique, not process.

Brianator and TechnoChicken like this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2022, 8:25 pm

Personally, if it holds that's what matters!

suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Sig214suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Sig314

Brianator and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
JJF3RD

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2022, 10:10 pm

Hey B'Nator. For what it is, it lends just enough for this intended application. The machine's certainly not a rock bouncer, it's only good for about 8mph with a strong tail wind AAAND . . . . I had all the parts & pieces right there in a scrap bin and could just toss them if it didn't work! If I go with something similar for the GT project in the Fall I'll put more technical thought into it. Other priorities on the "fun things" list to complete before that one LOL . . .

Back to top Go down
JJF3RD

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2022, 10:15 pm

. . . "Mighty-Righty"! Look at the abomination I left on the front of that frame then beat the snot out out of it with the plow . . . still holding strong!

Back to top Go down
JJF3RD

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2022, 11:02 am

. . . Just zipped these off of the plow brackets and fixed them to the frame. suspension - Front Suspension Tweek 20220321

Back to top Go down
JJF3RD

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2022, 11:10 am

suspension - Front Suspension Tweek 20220323

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Suspension Tweek   suspension - Front Suspension Tweek Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Suspension Tweek
Page 1 of 1