All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

woodland mower

Go down 
+2
dangeroustoys56
Chunk
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
arild365

woodland mower - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 11:01 am

yes please, i wanted to lock mine for quite some time. Im thinking il go for welding it
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 11:24 am

kool ill do that then!! ill try and take some pictures as well!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 5:13 pm

got my diff welded if you could plz subscribe to me and or add as friend!! as ill probs make it private! getting the videos up tommorow

my channel; https://www.youtube.com/user/bigbleuboy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2010, 4:19 am

hey dudes got the video up off me and my uncle welding!

it looks good and should work fine going down today to put it all together again. my you tube is above, do you guys want videos of first ride on there as well, as im videoing it anyway but if you want to know haw it goes then yeah ill put them on you tube. leaving the steering ATM and concentrating on getting the tranny back on, then do you think i could lower the front and back like fearless although i would rather just keep the default opening for it, what do you guys think?

P.S i'm keeping the video on for thirty days then making it private as i don't know who will see it(apart from you people Twisted Evil Smile
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2010, 7:32 am

Glad you finally got it welded!

AS for the videos, I'm always interesting in tractor vids, so shot away. I film nearly everyhing I do, most of it never makes it to youtube, just not interesting enough though.

Just watched the vid. One thing I would say is the weld the other gears solid too, as its welded now, and there's no going back, you may as well weld it as solid as you can.
Cant wait to see a test run!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2010, 4:32 pm

right got it on today and had a few problems, all of them are fixed now though
1: gears kept sticking, but found out that if I shuffle back and forward then it loosen's the gears and it can change gear.
2: engine kept conking out, took off the carb and then realised the gasket was cracked so more air than usual was getting in therefore the air to gas ratio was wrong and it conked out, went to williamsons and got a new one so it was all great, got home fixed it on then I went for a drive, no more conking out!!
3: near the end of the day the belt got stuck on a TWIG and came off the pulley, am wondering if i should make a guard out of the old headlight holder?

heres some pictures getting my video's up soon enough
woodland mower - Page 2 Dsc02212
woodland mower - Page 2 Dsc02213
i got the chain from my uncle came in VERY handy (as I hope you will see when I get the videos up)
woodland mower - Page 2 Dsc02215
woodland mower - Page 2 Dsc02216
what do you guys think about the guard as although I wouldn't need it for mudding its just for the woods and the TWIGS! lol lol!
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 3:07 am

Will mines going to be used in the woods alot too, and Ive had problems with my tractor chewing on sticks too. lol! I think its a great idea, Im doing it to mine once I get all the bugs worked out

It's looking alot better with the hood back on now too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 11:56 am

yeah the old light holder wont give much protection but it will delete any threats by twigs which should just snap...

any better ideas welcome!

also i am thinking after exams(or during study leave) i could put the back wheels on the front and new ones on the back? the bigger front tyres would allow alot more clearance and also allow it to go through bigger holes, ill get pictures (drawn) of what i plan to do.

thats the thing i guess will i be able to put bigger tyres on the front and just lower these things? not sure if it would make it?
woodland mower - Page 2 Thing10
yes i did put all the bolts back in!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 1:29 pm

i got the video uploaded PLZ have a look and comment if you can!!
https://www.youtube.com/user/bigbleuboy
holy Jesus that's bad quality going to save then upload DIRECTLY to youtube
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 3:19 pm

Thats a transmission mounting bracket- you can lower them further, id reinforce the frame/brackets before taking it for a spin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 6:02 pm

yeh but will the back lower enough so the front can be changed to big tyres??? without damaging anything
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2010, 4:22 am

Fearless front did it- check his build. Only thing with changing the trans position is youll need to make sure the pulleys line up- youll most likely need to modify the trans pulley or add a jackshaft.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 3:11 am

hmmm whats the easiest way to lower the rear fit big tyres on the front and still keep everything in line,?
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 3:14 am

Are you trying to lower it or raise it overall? If you put bigger wheels all round, and then lower the rear end (move it down) that should give you lots of ground clearance. Being stock speed it should be okay, although like dangeroustoys said, pulley allignment could be a problem!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 6:22 am

On a stock tractor- the front axle will always be lower ( farther away from the chassis) then the rear axle- since the rear uses larger tires and the fronts are smaller - when i put lower profile tires on my MTD- the front was actually sitting slightly higher then the back- then i lowered the front so it would sit level ( i wanted mine closer to the ground for stability- not ground clearance).

Depends on the tires sizes youre using - if you use rear wheels on the front and larger then the rear wheels on the back, youll need to raise the tractor accordingly to even it out .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 11:19 am

hmm ok but i need as much ground Clearance as possible to get offroad and over sticks... the front and back tyres will be the same size will this affect anything, ill need to lower it so that the tractor sits level(back axle)

although the rear axle would then become the lowest point on it.hmmm
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 4:48 pm

With my agway ( call it a murray) ive crawled over alot of stuff - surprised the heck out of me- and its stock - had it in water up to the top of the foot rests , thru some wicked mud and kept right on going. Only time i really got stuck was when the mud thickened up the next day and became tapioca pudding......im sure if it had chains or AG tires it wouldve kept going.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2010, 11:12 am

yeh i am on study leave next tuesday so ill have some spare time to tinker...

what do you guys think the best thing to do next.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2010, 12:39 pm

I still think some aggressive tyres would be good! Maybe some AGs or something. Or ATV tread. I dont come off for study leave for another 11 days.

Has that thing got lights? Thats another worthwhile thing to put on. afro You still planning on putting duellies on the back?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2010, 12:44 pm

i doubt i will, yeh i do need some more aggressive tyres maybe some thicker ones and the ones on ATM on the front...

what tyres would be best to buy? cheap and good quality...
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2010, 1:02 pm

I may be a bit biased, but the best tyres you can get are Kenda Bearclaws. They arent the cheaspest, although still a pretty good price. I think about £55 a peice from allterraintyres. Would leave a nice hole in your pocket, but awesome in the mud. You might need them for the woods though!

Just look out for cheap used atv tyres on ebay or something in your rim size.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2010, 1:45 pm

hmmm ya i might get them i was looking at them... but no money ATM as no job... sad face.

does the kenda bear-claws fit perfectly onto the rear axle? as in no need to weld on a atv spoke setup?

might get these correct if they are BAD
http://www.allterraintyres.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1426_1085_1358_1371&products_id=3036

have a look round the website there are some REALLY cool tyres there, might get some soon, recommend me some..

what do you think would be better new tyres or a welder? probs need a grinder first but oh well, and i REALLY want new tyres
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2010, 3:07 pm

bigbleuboy wrote:
what do you think would be better new tyres or a welder? probs need a grinder first but oh well, and i REALLY want new tyres

That's a tough one. scratch Really cant help you with that one. As long as the rim diameter and rim width matches that of the tyre (you can go a bit wider on the width) then you're fine. Those AGs in the link should fit the front! People often neglect front tyres, theyre just as important in the mud, espeically with a locked diff.

My stock tyres are 20x10x8 (Heigh x Widith x Rim Diam.) and Im getting 22x12x8 Bearclaws. Taller tyres are simple way to get more ground clearance (and a little bit more speed!)

I hear you about no money. Try running a car without a job too. Im actually resorting to cutting grass in Dundee, £30 for two small gardens, probably about £7 covers petrol costs, thats how desperate I am for money! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2010, 4:12 pm

here here up grass hasnt started to grow so i cant cutt my dads grass (you see in my videos)

just killed my head revising with sore head feel like im going to explode!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if i get tyres then ill try to get ones which balance out putting ones on the front think they are going to be 18" so thats about 3" bigger so some tyres would work without changing the arrangement! (if i am guessing right)

lol yeh they would work for the front but lol i never released they were small! i just got exited when i saw £18:80!

were are you getting your claws?

would these be good back tires?
http://www.allterraintyres.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1426_1085_1357_1364&products_id=3092
these might be a little big but they would eliminate the need for any changes i think
http://www.allterraintyres.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1426_1085_1357_1364&products_id=3092
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2010, 5:03 pm

AGs (chevron tyres) are always pretty good. The Bearclaws are the best according to everyone Ive spoken to. But those AGS will get you alot further than you can now!

What size are the fronts/rears you have at the moment?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2010, 5:05 pm

ill check the sizes tomorrow so i can be shure... maybe after i start working ill buy some front tyres
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: woodland mower   woodland mower - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

woodland mower
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next