All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Adding gear oil to a stock transaxle

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
CRAFTSMAN MUDDER
CRAFTSMAN MUDDER

1st Place Build-Off 2023
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2023

transaxle - Adding gear oil to a stock transaxle Empty
PostSubject: Adding gear oil to a stock transaxle   transaxle - Adding gear oil to a stock transaxle Icon_minitimeJune 18th 2022, 3:45 am

Hello everyone, putting together a mower for hooning around some trails at buddys farm. Not locking the diff or running big tires. Iv got a 15hp briggs I/C and a Spicer 6 speed. Gonna be running a 1:1 pully ratio, and wondering if anyone has simply added gear oil into their transaxle? Would I be able to remove one "spring/ball" retaining screw and add gear oil to the grease thats currently inside? Any insight would be great! Thanks
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Adding gear oil to a stock transaxle   transaxle - Adding gear oil to a stock transaxle Icon_minitimeJune 18th 2022, 8:33 am

I haven’t converted a transaxle to gear oil, but having a hydro tractor with oil lubrication you won’t see any issues with doing it. The 633 ropers also run oil IIRC.

If you’re running 1:1 I think it would be better to just pull the transaxle apart, clean the old grease out and add oil. Grease is better at low speed but oil lubes better at higher speed. Make sure to replace all your seals while you’re in there because you will get leaks otherwise.

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Adding gear oil to a stock transaxle   transaxle - Adding gear oil to a stock transaxle Icon_minitimeJune 18th 2022, 10:04 pm

@Stretch44875 is the master of that from what I've read, maybe he'll have some better input than I for you. There's a few threads on it around here check the transaxle section/use the search feature.

From what I know if you want to run gear oil you need to add seals and or o-ring the axle bushings and use alot of RTV or equivalent sealant or it will end up leaking out around the axles. I've read several threads where guys add a little oil to the grease, I'd think Lucas Oil Stabilizer would work really well and have been planning on adding it myself.

You're best to just split the trans or risk dropping the ball/spring in and have to open it up anyways plus then you can add a fitting to vent it also.

Hope this helps some.

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Work in Progress)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Adding gear oil to a stock transaxle   transaxle - Adding gear oil to a stock transaxle Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2022, 12:02 am

I put some oil with the grease in my spicer 5 speed/ vari drive combo. I just get a little oil dripping out the axles with just the felt seals on the axles. It just wets up the dirt on the rims. Nothing serious. I did put sealant on the case halves though. That is probably a minimum to do for adding any kind of oil or oil mix in the case.

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding gear oil to a stock transaxle   transaxle - Adding gear oil to a stock transaxle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adding gear oil to a stock transaxle
Page 1 of 1