All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Spare trans as a PTO?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tour1

Spare trans as a PTO? Empty
PostSubject: Spare trans as a PTO?   Spare trans as a PTO? Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2023, 1:54 pm

I have a spare transaxle now and I'm thinking of mounting it upside-down on the front to create 2 power take-off shafts. It is a Craftsman 36" with the vertical shaft engine.
For the 1st try I might lock or brake axle and use the other to turn a small snow thrower fed by plow blades. Another use would be to turn an alternator or any accessory made for a horizontal engine.
Any experience or advice to offer?
Would the differential be ok as an rpm doubler?
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Spare trans as a PTO?   Spare trans as a PTO? Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2023, 2:33 pm

Generally PTOs don’t spin all that fast, typically 500-1000 RPM. Doubling speed will halve the torque which will hurt snow blowing performance, an alternator might work ok though.

I’d say a 90 degree gearbox off a garden tractor would be a better, but that’s just me.
Back to top Go down
JittyJat
JittyJat

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Spare trans as a PTO?   Spare trans as a PTO? Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2023, 3:57 pm

Like what Rustbucket said the use of a transaxle as a makeshift pto wouldn't be very insufficient unless you did a total gear/pully change to make it go slower than molasses in January, as for the use of a alternator on a vertical shaft engine, it would be better to add a pully to the top the the engine to run the alternator and there's plenty of videos online showing how to do that.
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Spare trans as a PTO?   Spare trans as a PTO? Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2023, 6:03 pm

I don't have any experience with what you're asking but personally don't see why it couldn't work or why a proper rpm range couldn't be achieved through pulley choice and gear ratios in the trans. Sounds like a heck of alot of work and money though.

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Work in Progress)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Spare trans as a PTO?   Spare trans as a PTO? Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2023, 10:54 pm

You would have to do a heck of a pulley swap to get that kind of speed out of a transaxle. Standard PTO speed on a tractor is 540rpm. When I work out the math, I get 336 axle rpm going 26mph on 26" tires. Which seems crazy high to me. That's an ungoverned Briggs with a 1:1 pulley swap.

I also couldn't see your differential gears lasting long as a speed doubler. Those gears probably don't ever see 60rpm as intended. They don't even turn unless you're turning. None of them have bushings or bearings like any of the high speed shafts in the trans.

If you used a peerless 700 series like I did for my PTO winch then you could use a jackshaft as a PTO shaft and use sprockets to get a little better speed out of your pto.
Back to top Go down
Tour1

PostSubject: Re: Spare trans as a PTO?   Spare trans as a PTO? Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2023, 1:15 pm

I'm really looking to do something cheap and creatively reduce my junk collection. It doesn't make sense to plan from scratch to reduce rpm then gear it up again but if it might work within my parts & labor limits I might try.
I thought a twist belt might work, drive pulley horizontal and driven vertical but a web search went nowhere. The brain that corrects my spelling can't handle tech outside the box.
I saw a right angle gear box with good power & rpm but it's about $150 and the mount could be harder than a front trans.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spare trans as a PTO?   Spare trans as a PTO? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spare trans as a PTO?
Page 1 of 1