All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Front spindle extensions without welder??

Go down 
+10
1997 Murray
Stretch44875
dked41
arild365
Webmaster
motorhead45102
CMHN
Chunk
dangeroustoys56
indianaboy93
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
indianaboy93

Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 7:58 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
also not to get personal but were do ya live? so far, i think the closes person to me on this forum is fearlessfront, i live in Ohio and he lives in Maine .

Oh its fine. I live in Indiana. nice to know someone is fairly close to me. Shocked
I'm really considering doing it with a bolt screwed into it. The wheels i'm trying to put on are only about a quarter of an inch to wide. i wouldn't need much to hold it on.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:16 pm

ok well now your the closest person who lives near me. also what part of indiana? really close to ohio or sorta far away, i live near Cincinnati, oh
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:17 pm

also i just now noticed your username is indiana, lol
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:28 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
ok well now your the closest person who lives near me. also what part of indiana? really close to ohio or sorta far away, i live near Cincinnati, oh
I live about half an hour away from Richmond Indiana. if you know where that is.

I'm really thinking about doing the spindle mod by just screwing in some bolts. i'm just worried it will make the spindle too weak or when i'm making the hole that it will collapse.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:40 pm

i don't think it would cause i have bolts in my go kart shaft which is the same diameter as your spindles and i get going 45 to 50 mph on the road and i run threw a ditch at an angle and it holds up just fine, you should be fine.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:46 pm

i might try and do it this weekend if i have time.(going to an auction, supposed to be some mowers but it could be push mowers for all i know lol)
I need to get them on because before i can set up a front bumper i need to have them on to check clearance. i hope i don't have to trim my hood.
OH YEA! I was thinking about locking the front axle solid so it doesn't articulate. Good idea or bad idea?
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:49 pm

if i get a chance to i could upload some pictures of my go kart axle with it bolted in and stuff to give you an idea. also have you seen my go kart? its on my youtube channel,
https://www.youtube.com/user/motorhead45102

heres the motor before it was on my kart
https://www.youtube.com/user/motorhead45102#p/u/46/YIr7E-6VQFo

and this is when i was flying down the road
https://www.youtube.com/user/motorhead45102#p/u/29/AWYHqAe0B0c

and this is the kart with the bolted on rims threw the axle.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:14 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
if i get a chance to i could upload some pictures of my go kart axle with it bolted in and stuff to give you an idea. also have you seen my go kart? its on my youtube channel,
https://www.youtube.com/user/motorhead45102

heres the motor before it was on my kart
https://www.youtube.com/user/motorhead45102#p/u/46/YIr7E-6VQFo

and this is when i was flying down the road
https://www.youtube.com/user/motorhead45102#p/u/29/AWYHqAe0B0c

and this is the kart with the bolted on rims threw the axle.

wow looks like those spindles will hold up great. i just have one question. Did you flip it in that ditch?!?!? lol.
And if you get a chance i'd love to see the spindles. i'm thinkin the hardest part would be matching the threads of a bolt with threads of a tap. Unless you were able to use some kind of self tapping bolts. hmmm, idk
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Indianaboy93:
Quote :
I was thinking about locking the front axle solid so it doesn't articulate. Good idea or bad idea?

Depends where you plan to go with it- offroad id leave it movable to crawl over stuff - on road/grass/dirt- lock it.

Bolting the front axle on my MTD made that thing handle awsome, lowering the front tho makes the wheels steer a bit tighter AND they also hit the grille..... but when i had it around the yard i leaned like way off it around corners and actually got the rear to swing around a bit.

Itll make it more stable locking it- you dont need to weld it- just bolting it will work fine also.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:46 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Indianaboy93:
Quote :
I was thinking about locking the front axle solid so it doesn't articulate. Good idea or bad idea?

Depends where you plan to go with it- offroad id leave it movable to crawl over stuff - on road/grass/dirt- lock it.

Bolting the front axle on my MTD made that thing handle awsome, lowering the front tho makes the wheels steer a bit tighter AND they also hit the grille..... but when i had it around the yard i leaned like way off it around corners and actually got the rear to swing around a bit.

Itll make it more stable locking it- you dont need to weld it- just bolting it will work fine also.

yea i do alittle bit of both. offroad and down my dead end road. the reason i asked was because even the slightest bit of turn when on pavement and it goes on three wheels. then i try and correct it by stearing back and it tilts the other way.
I may try it and if i don't like it then just take the bolts out.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:52 pm

no i haven't flipped going threw the ditch, the frame slightly flexes and i have spindles with springs for a suspension, i will have to show some pics and video of it sometime soon.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 6:57 am

motorhead45102 wrote:
no i haven't flipped going threw the ditch, the frame slightly flexes and i have spindles with springs for a suspension, i will have to show some pics and video of it sometime soon.

oh. yea i'd like to see that. i'm leaning towards doing it. unless i do find someone with a welder than i'll go that route. but until then this is my plan
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 8:46 am

On the MTD all i did was drill two new holes thru the axle - used the existing frame holes - two bolts hold it firmly in place.

Actually ive tryed to avoid welding anything on that MTD- just in case i want to do something different with it- ive only drilled holes n bolted everything.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 8:40 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
On the MTD all i did was drill two new holes thru the axle - used the existing frame holes - two bolts hold it firmly in place.

Actually ive tryed to avoid welding anything on that MTD- just in case i want to do something different with it- ive only drilled holes n bolted everything.

Thats what i was going to do. just two bolts through it. not sure if i will yet though. i don't want to lose crawling abilities, but on the other hand i'd like more stability if i run it down my road(dead end road, mile long, pretty sweet). before i do that i want to get these wheels on. Oh, just in case any of you were curious. i have 18 in by 10.5 in on the rear now and i'm wanting to put a set of 18 in by 6.5 in on the front. Smile
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 8:53 pm

You could always drill the two holes and instead of bolts you can put a couple trailer hitch pins instead. That way you can have the best of both worlds. Put the pins in when you want the stability, and take them out when you want the articulation.

Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Hitch-pin
Back to top Go down
http://ctraugh.blogspot.com/
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 8:58 pm

CMHN wrote:
You could always drill the two holes and instead of bolts you can put a couple trailer hitch pins instead. That way you can have the best of both worlds. Put the pins in when you want the stability, and take them out when you want the articulation.

Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Hitch-pin

hmmm, never thought about that. i really like that idea. would be a quick release and wouldn't have the stress on the spindles from constantly screwing and unscrewing bolts. and i think it would look cool too.
i have lots to think about. lol
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:17 pm

ok here is some pictures of my go kart , i showed the motor cause its a beast, 5hp with no compression release, industrial engine. but ok
engine
[img]Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 04221010[/img]
ok down to business, here is the axles with the bolts running in them
this is also the rear, can be done exactly the same as the front but havent done that
[img]Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 04221011[/img]
pic with the bolt removed
[img]Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 04221012[/img]

axle without the bolt
[img]Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 04221013[/img]

it don't have to be very long at all, just a strong bolt, and not to fat or thin of a bolt.
and idk if everyone seen the video link i posted here, but this is the kart, in those videos with the bolted on rims. this idea would also work for a 4 or 5 bolt hub to be bolted to the axle.
hope this gives you a better idea of things.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:27 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
ok here is some pictures of my go kart , i showed the motor cause its a beast, 5hp with no compression release, industrial engine. but ok
engine
[img]Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 04221010[/img]
ok down to business, here is the axles with the bolts running in them
this is also the rear, can be done exactly the same as the front but havent done that
[img]Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 04221011[/img]
pic with the bolt removed
[img]Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 04221012[/img]

axle without the bolt
[img]Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 04221013[/img]

it don't have to be very long at all, just a strong bolt, and not to fat or thin of a bolt.
and idk if everyone seen the video link i posted here, but this is the kart, in those videos with the bolted on rims. this idea would also work for a 4 or 5 bolt hub to be bolted to the axle.
hope this gives you a better idea of things.

hey, if it says Briggs on the side then i like it. lol.
i was thinking it would need a longer bolt than that. that little of a bolt wouldn't do any damage to the spindle then.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:48 pm

yeah my grandpa made the axle and drilled and everything and he's been working at this place for YEARS so he knows what he is doing. And i think that will work out great for you, with the bolt on spindle.
also i do not own any techumsajunk, or Honda, the only engines i have are Briggs and stratton, but one kohler, its a 10hp cast iron engine, no aluminum, heavy turd too!!!!!! and very torquey, i believe the first lawnmower i used was a 3.5hp Briggs, i still have the 3.5, its rebuilt though, runs great, i also took off the chock-a-matic carb with the primer carb, works way better, with start up and gas consumption. ok not to get too off topic, lol i tend to do that a lot.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:58 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
yeah my grandpa made the axle and drilled and everything and he's been working at this place for YEARS so he knows what he is doing. And i think that will work out great for you, with the bolt on spindle.
also i do not own any techumsajunk, or Honda, the only engines i have are Briggs and stratton, but one kohler, its a 10hp cast iron engine, no aluminum, heavy turd too!!!!!! and very torquey, i believe the first lawnmower i used was a 3.5hp Briggs, i still have the 3.5, its rebuilt though, runs great, i also took off the chock-a-matic carb with the primer carb, works way better, with start up and gas consumption. ok not to get too off topic, lol i tend to do that a lot.

Makes my gut feel alot better to hear so much positive things about this idea. i'm still planning though
i only have two mowers at the moment, this one with a 12 hp briggs and a yard machines with a 14 hp kohler command(wiring is messed up and won't start, thats why i have it. the people were tired of messing with it)
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 10:31 pm

hey indianaboy have you been to my topic on the project part of the forum? its craftsman offroad tractor with 10 pages
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 10:35 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
hey indianaboy have you been to my topic on the project part of the forum? its craftsman offroad tractor with 10 pages
yep sure have. i've followed it since the beginning.
i think i have the same mower. (mine is a 1989) is your hood basically square or does it sorta slant at the front?
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 10:38 pm

its basicly square, not to many curvs on this, just straight here angle there.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 10:39 pm

hey gota question how old are ya? just curious
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 10:40 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
hey gota question how old are ya? just curious

we might have the same mower. that'be neat. lol
i'll be 17 next month. you?
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 10:59 pm

18 going to be 19 in june
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front spindle extensions without welder??
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next