All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

dual battery set up on murray

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
biscuit
biscuit

dual battery set up on murray Empty
PostSubject: dual battery set up on murray   dual battery set up on murray Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2011, 5:20 pm

I want to hook up a dual battery set-up on the murray. not for 24 volts, but for extra goodies like a radio and cell phone charger. Has anyone done this before? after stripping it down i have the room to stick another battery on her. i could always just run a power point to another battery, and just throw it on the battery tender at night. i am setting her up for ice fishing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: dual battery set up on murray   dual battery set up on murray Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2011, 8:39 pm

i would run a 650 car battery if you have room where the existing battery is. that will still run down but last longer than 2 mower batteries. you still might need to charge it on the down time unless you have a long drive back from the lake. just dont crank it too long if it doesnt want to start, thats a good way to mess up a starter. car batteries will crank longer and harder than mower batteries
Back to top Go down
biscuit
biscuit

PostSubject: Re: dual battery set up on murray   dual battery set up on murray Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2011, 8:48 pm

Well she runs fine. Cranks right up. Dp a car battery just might work. Thanks. Tried to post pics from phone, but had trouble
Back to top Go down
biscuit
biscuit

PostSubject: Re: dual battery set up on murray   dual battery set up on murray Icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2011, 6:26 pm

Well I managed to change my avatar pic its a 2002 Murray with a 12.5 b&s engine. Found a 197? Hood in my private lawnmower boneyard. Pulley swap (6" on rear and stock on front), 4rear wheels on it till I can get 4 tires from tsc. Velocity stack intake, carb off 2008 craftsman 17 HP, custom exhaust with Harley muffler, Harley tail light and truck horn.
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: dual battery set up on murray   dual battery set up on murray Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2012, 5:30 pm

I've considered something like this. I've also considered the possibility of using an old car alternator run off the motor for charging/running accessories. Something like that and a car battery (even like a group 58 with 550 CCA's) would be great. I know the battery for my mower is 300 CCA.
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
ferg
ferg

PostSubject: Re: dual battery set up on murray   dual battery set up on murray Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2012, 6:51 pm

dagr8tim wrote:
I've considered something like this. I've also considered the possibility of using an old car alternator run off the motor for charging/running accessories. Something like that and a car battery (even like a group 58 with 550 CCA's) would be great. I know the battery for my mower is 300 CCA.

I would recommend using an alternator from a small diesel engine from a boat, or a jet ski. you can get alternators that are about 40 amps

http://www.classicparts4cars.co.uk/mini-alternator---gxe2211-208-p.asp

it means that you have more power going to the wheels!!!!

and then you can have bigger lights ect. you should use a small battery from a small car (any petrol import Cool )
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: dual battery set up on murray   dual battery set up on murray Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2012, 7:03 pm

ferg wrote:
I would recommend using an alternator from a small diesel engine from a boat, or a jet ski. you can get alternators that are about 40 amps

http://www.classicparts4cars.co.uk/mini-alternator---gxe2211-208-p.asp

it means that you have more power going to the wheels!!!!

and then you can have bigger lights ect. you should use a small battery from a small car (any petrol import Cool )

That's a pretty cool idea. I wonder if you could mount it between the frame rails and use the pulley on the alternator as an idler.
Back to top Go down
ferg
ferg

PostSubject: Re: dual battery set up on murray   dual battery set up on murray Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2012, 7:10 pm

yeah I think that it would be best to have it high and dry. you could maybe use the top of the engine, (where the fly wheel guard is!! and fab a pulley to go on that. then mount the alternator near the back of the engine. make sure you make a thread if you do do it!!
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: dual battery set up on murray   dual battery set up on murray Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2012, 7:12 pm

ferg wrote:
yeah I think that it would be best to have it high and dry. you could maybe use the top of the engine, (where the fly wheel guard is!! and fab a pulley to go on that. then mount the alternator near the back of the engine. make sure you make a thread if you do do it!!

Maybe mount it in an ammo box with the pulley sticking out. I think that would be easier than trying to put it under the hood.
Back to top Go down
ferg
ferg

PostSubject: Re: dual battery set up on murray   dual battery set up on murray Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2012, 7:24 pm

No I think it would be best to have is at the top. there would also be some large gauge wiring and some relays to go with it .

the john deere 318 has a pto at each end of the engine, one for the deck and one for the drive. I think that it would definitely best the have it under the hood. you could proably make or get a pulley that will go into the fly wheel. also if it was an idler pulley there would be problems with the belt type. a fan belt that goes on an alternator is usually flat and you would have a lot of trouble getting everything to match up.
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: dual battery set up on murray   dual battery set up on murray Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2012, 7:33 pm

ferg wrote:
No I think it would be best to have is at the top. there would also be some large gauge wiring and some relays to go with it .

the john deere 318 has a pto at each end of the engine, one for the deck and one for the drive. I think that it would definitely best the have it under the hood. you could proably make or get a pulley that will go into the fly wheel. also if it was an idler pulley there would be problems with the belt type. a fan belt that goes on an alternator is usually flat and you would have a lot of trouble getting everything to match up.

True, it may be worth while to play with some ideas.
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: dual battery set up on murray   dual battery set up on murray Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2014, 6:13 pm

Chevrolet one wire altanater is the most universal. But you could us a toyota altanater off like a 80s model 22R thay are v belt and pritty small ansd around 40 amps
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: dual battery set up on murray   dual battery set up on murray Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2014, 6:55 pm

this hasnt been touched in 2 years... please do not dig up old "dead" and crusty threads, kinda pointless. thanks
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: dual battery set up on murray   dual battery set up on murray Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2014, 10:26 pm

Be that as it may, the toyota alternator isn't a bad ideas.

Personally I'd just rather get a decent sized marine deep cycle battery and call it a day. If you placed the battery in the right place, you could add weight in a way to promote traction.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dual battery set up on murray   dual battery set up on murray Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

dual battery set up on murray
Page 1 of 1