All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What's everyone running for brakes?

Go down 
+4
CityRedneck
MSteele323
dangeroustoys56
Muddy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Muddy
Muddy

Brake - What's everyone running for brakes? Empty
PostSubject: What's everyone running for brakes?   Brake - What's everyone running for brakes? Icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2011, 11:35 pm

I'm lookin to change my stock brakes on my craftsman. anyone here have experience with any hydraulic systems from a go kart or mini bike ? I'm running larger tires on a stock transaxle with a 5" pulley.

cheers
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What's everyone running for brakes?   Brake - What's everyone running for brakes? Icon_minitimeDecember 19th 2011, 6:38 am

Ford Boi uses cut down automotive brake pads in the stock caliper - he also slots the stock disc with a grinder - another member ( cant find the post) used automotive discs and calipers with an older chrysler master cylender on his tractor .
Back to top Go down
MSteele323

PostSubject: Re: What's everyone running for brakes?   Brake - What's everyone running for brakes? Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2011, 12:42 am

A anchor and a rope tied to the tractor. Or a large block of wood thrown in front of the tractor. LOL
tongue
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/msteele323?feature=mhw5
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: What's everyone running for brakes?   Brake - What's everyone running for brakes? Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2011, 11:33 am

i cant remember who on youtube but someone said that if you want to put hydro brakes on your tractor and the tranny isnt locked you have to put one on each side or something like that. ill look for it and get back to you if i can find it Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: What's everyone running for brakes?   Brake - What's everyone running for brakes? Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2011, 4:03 pm

with an open diff, if you lock one wheel, the other one tries to turn backwards. that makes for a sqirrley ride on loose stuff and a good way to snap an axle on hard pavement
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: What's everyone running for brakes?   Brake - What's everyone running for brakes? Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2011, 4:39 pm

yea i refer one on each side either way because faster stopping and its less stress than one
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What's everyone running for brakes?   Brake - What's everyone running for brakes? Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2013, 12:27 pm

Stock, so basically none, lol
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: What's everyone running for brakes?   Brake - What's everyone running for brakes? Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2013, 12:30 pm

I dont use brakes, dont have them hooked up.
I have stock brakes.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What's everyone running for brakes?   Brake - What's everyone running for brakes? Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2013, 1:01 pm

We run a 10" disk on the solid axle and a mechanical (as opposed to hydraulic) go cart caliper.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Hand brake   Brake - What's everyone running for brakes? Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2013, 11:16 pm

I couldent get my clutch brake to work after the pulley swap on my murray wide body. So i took the deck lift lever cut it down and made a hand brake between the shifter and seat. To use it just pill it up like a e brake. Used the stock brake. Works great. I dont have a good camra so cant do video but when i get one ill post one.
Back to top Go down
theswampmachine

PostSubject: Re: What's everyone running for brakes?   Brake - What's everyone running for brakes? Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2013, 11:40 pm

Neutral or reverse are my brakes!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's everyone running for brakes?   Brake - What's everyone running for brakes? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's everyone running for brakes?
Page 1 of 1