All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Hydro or Manual

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

hydro - Hydro or Manual Empty
PostSubject: Hydro or Manual   hydro - Hydro or Manual Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2012, 1:22 pm

This sounds like a really dumb question, but here goes. How can I tell if I have a hydro or manual transmission? Both of my other tractors are manual, and this one like those seems to have a distinct click when changing gears. I would assume that it is manual, but wanted to check.
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Hydro or Manual   hydro - Hydro or Manual Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2012, 1:37 pm

A few quick ways to tell.. .Hydro's won't have distinct clicks when moving the shifter like a gear drive will.
With the shift lever in neutral, can you push the tractor around? Hydrostatics need to have a separate free-wheel valve engaged to roll.
You could also get under the tractor and look at the transaxle. A hydro will have a cooling fan driven by the pulley.
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Hydro or Manual   hydro - Hydro or Manual Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2012, 1:41 pm

AcreFarm wrote:
A few quick ways to tell.. .Hydro's won't have distinct clicks when moving the shifter like a gear drive will.
With the shift lever in neutral, can you push the tractor around? Hydrostatics need to have a separate free-wheel valve engaged to roll.
You could also get under the tractor and look at the transaxle. A hydro will have a cooling fan driven by the pulley.

It's a manual. I've rolled this thing around many times in neutral. Thanks for the fast answer.
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Hydro or Manual   hydro - Hydro or Manual Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2012, 1:58 pm

I have a hydro murray - theres a slight 'hydraulic whine' noise when it moves , no 'gear' mesh noises.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hydro or Manual   hydro - Hydro or Manual Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hydro or Manual
Page 1 of 1