All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Lock front end for mudding?

Go down 
+3
arild365
AcreFarm
gilsonrumbler
7 posters
AuthorMessage
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

lock - Lock front end for mudding? Empty
PostSubject: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2012, 2:13 pm

do y'all weld/lock/bolt the front end solid for mudding?
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2012, 2:25 pm

Locking the front end will give you more stable & predictable handling. I've ran my tractor both ways and IMO solid-mount is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2012, 2:51 pm

i had a mower with a unlocked and wobbly front end it did fairly good but it end up cracking the frame from the rapid movement of front end so i wasen't sure if i wanted to lock the gilson front end or not. Now i know its the way to go
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2012, 4:27 pm

Locked front end is great for mud and trails and things like that, But i dont run locked front cause i doo a lot of rock crawling, trail riding and off roading and since my rear end isnt locked, i need the articulation it the front so i can keep all fours on the ground.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2012, 4:41 pm

arlid brings up a good point, if you've got an open diff a solid front will hurt traction in off-camber situations
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2012, 5:08 pm

im not much of a crawling guy but more of a mud pit and creek guy.... problems would arise if i have the front unlocked... 1 front end wobbles 2 tires will crunch/rub into fender each time i hit a bump 3 unstable at higher speeds... do you guys think i will have much trouble with traction for what i am doing? the rears are 26s while the fronts are 18s diff is not welded i only cleaned the inside and put grease in
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2012, 5:52 pm

The problem you will run into with a locked front and open diff... when the tractor crosses a bank, hill, or hole it will want to raise 1 tire, and if that's a rear tire it will just spin.
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2012, 6:10 pm

theres always the shift your weight to one side or the rock it back and forth trick otherwise... let it roll back down and try again
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2012, 6:53 pm

yah but with the shift the weight this you could automaticly get traction and the hole tractor flips up on top of you and it doesnt feel good Razz what you could do is drill some holes for pins that slide in that lock the front axle that are easily removable and just lock it when you need too.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2012, 9:00 pm

arild365 wrote:
yah but with the shift the weight this you could automaticly get traction and the hole tractor flips up on top of you and it doesnt feel good Razz what you could do is drill some holes for pins that slide in that lock the front axle that are easily removable and just lock it when you need too.

On my craftsman, the front deck hanger bolts keep the front axle from articulating. So all that is necessary is some hitch pins and hairpin codder pins.
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2012, 6:23 am

Usually the rule of thumb is for speed the front axle needs to be locked - for offroad it should articulate .

On my ex mod MTD i locked the front axle solid simply by cutting the center pivot rings out, raising it to the top of the chassis and drilling two new holes thru the axle ( i didnt want to cut up the chassis- the axle was already beat up) .

Depends if you want it permenent or removeable.
Back to top Go down
RompinRedneck
RompinRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2012, 11:22 pm

Thanks for makng this thread. I was just wondering this and found my answer plus a little more. Thanks
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/rompinredneck
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2012, 9:58 pm

Im going to have to run my front end locked because I cant get a front axle that will fit my tractor, I can get the box tubing to fit but where the center bolt goes through it is extended out an inch so I would have to cut it off and rely on a Chinese welder or lock it solid and rely on grade 8 bolts. The bolts seem stronger and not permanent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2012, 8:27 am

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
Im going to have to run my front end locked because I cant get a front axle that will fit my tractor, I can get the box tubing to fit but where the center bolt goes through it is extended out an inch so I would have to cut it off and rely on a Chinese welder or lock it solid and rely on grade 8 bolts. The bolts seem stronger and not permanent.

If you go bolts, you can always go back later and redo it once you get access to a better welder.
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2012, 7:29 pm

dagr8tim wrote:
W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:

If you go bolts, you can always go back later and redo it once you get access to a better welder.
Yeah, I have access to a better welder now but I don't think I could get it to the place I would weld it at. They have about 15 of welders I think the cheapest welder is a Millermatic 252(And it isn't a cheap welder either).
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lock front end for mudding?   lock - Lock front end for mudding? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lock front end for mudding?
Page 1 of 1