All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Help! opened screw on transmission

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

Help! opened screw on transmission Empty
PostSubject: Help! opened screw on transmission   Help! opened screw on transmission Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2012, 11:25 pm

i took my tranny out of the mower and unscrewed all the screws like on fearless's video and it wouldnt budge. so i saw a allen wrench screw so i undid that and a spring and ball came shooting out of it. and why does the oil in my tranny look silverish grey and stink really bad
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Help! opened screw on transmission   Help! opened screw on transmission Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2012, 11:30 pm

i could only find "peerless div" on it
Back to top Go down
craftworks125

PostSubject: Re: Help! opened screw on transmission   Help! opened screw on transmission Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2012, 10:21 am

make sure you got the bolts out of the center. Some times you have to carefully pry it open i know my peerless tranny i swaped into my tractor had pry cut outs in the case to pry it with a screwdriver. I wouldnt worry about the color of the oil and tranny fluid doesnt smell good at all. hope this helps you.
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Help! opened screw on transmission   Help! opened screw on transmission Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2012, 3:05 pm

I got all the screws out, even the two on the bottom. Ill try again today. But i still wanna know how to put the ball and spring back in the correct way because i dont wanna screw this up
Back to top Go down
mowerstompin
mowerstompin

PostSubject: Re: Help! opened screw on transmission   Help! opened screw on transmission Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2012, 6:34 pm

The ball first, then the spring, then the screw (I'm almost positive). All it is is a shift ball, makes it easiar or harder to shift the gears. Maybe just old oil, I'd use some gear lube and some 00 grease (grease on the bearings, inputs/outputs, etc).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/mowerstompin
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Help! opened screw on transmission   Help! opened screw on transmission Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2012, 8:52 pm

Yea i tinkered with it just now. First i tried spring the ball then screw and it made a clanky sound so i put ball then spring then screw and it sounded a little smoother. I told my dad i needed tranny fluid so we went to walmart and i got some Super Tech - Dexron - VI. He said its really good oil and hes used it for years sooo ill trust him on that. I drove it around in first then shifted up slowly and it ran good. But im still wondering how much oil i should've put in there. I put 1/2 a quart to be safe but i drained it dry and it looked like 3/4 quart but idk.
Back to top Go down
mowerstompin
mowerstompin

PostSubject: Re: Help! opened screw on transmission   Help! opened screw on transmission Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2012, 9:21 pm

I use about a quart
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Help! opened screw on transmission   Help! opened screw on transmission Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2012, 9:25 pm

so i should just go outside and put the rest of the bottle in? I mean whats the worst that can happen if you put to much? Its just oil
Back to top Go down
mowerstompin
mowerstompin

PostSubject: Re: Help! opened screw on transmission   Help! opened screw on transmission Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2012, 9:31 pm

Not really, but yea anywhere from 3/4 to a quart is fine. You could also put in a little grease around the bushings and bearings in there to keep it even more luuuuuuuuuuuubbbed.

Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Help! opened screw on transmission   Help! opened screw on transmission Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2012, 9:53 pm

I would grease her up inside but that is what my main goal was but it jsut doesss not wanna open so i say screw it
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Help! opened screw on transmission   Help! opened screw on transmission Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2012, 1:04 am

Your dad has used it for years in what? Most hydros recommend motor oil usually 10W30, and most gear trans use 80W90 gear lube or similar. Gear trannys with grease also will work with gear lube. The silver color is metal from gears and bushings inside the trans, the stink is from burnt grease and oil.
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Help! opened screw on transmission   Help! opened screw on transmission Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2012, 1:54 am

He has used it in cars and in big rigs. So idk. It's whatever. If it blows then it blows
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! opened screw on transmission   Help! opened screw on transmission Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help! opened screw on transmission
Page 1 of 1