All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE

Go down 
+2
WellThatsSurprising
CountryBoy357
6 posters
AuthorMessage
CountryBoy357

Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 2:59 pm

So i recently bought a ride on lawn mower with the intentions of turning it into an off road mower. After figuring out some wiring issues i got it to start and it ran for about 5 minutes, i shut it off and put everything back together from doing the wiring. Now i can't get it to start again. I cleaned the carb in it but it's not sucking gas. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 3:29 pm

Go back in and re-check your wiring. Something may have come loose.
Back to top Go down
CountryBoy357

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 3:34 pm

All i set up for the wiring right now is the negative terminal for the battery is grounded and I'm holding the wire from the starter to the positive terminal on the battery.
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 3:40 pm

CountryBoy357 wrote:
All i set up for the wiring right now is the negative terminal for the battery is grounded and I'm holding the wire from the starter to the positive terminal on the battery.

What about the ground running off the coil?
Back to top Go down
CountryBoy357

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 3:42 pm

That ground is fine. It starts up when i spray starter fluid in it but it won't continue to suck gas thru. I've cleaned the carb and checked the needle valve, also i've checked the in-line gas filter and everything seems to be fine aside from the fact that it won't suck gas thru.
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 3:46 pm

Have you tried loosening the gas cap? I've seen a lot of motors not stay running because the tank isn't vented.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 3:48 pm

Does it have a wire on the carb?

If so, connect it to the battery

If it has 2 wires, connect one to the battery, and the other to ground (i think.)
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
CountryBoy357

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 3:53 pm

There's no wire's on the carb. I removed the gas cap completely and it still wouldn't turn over.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 4:16 pm

Disconnect the fuel hose, tank side, connect it to a funnel and use that as a temp fuel tank keep it above the carb level, and watch out for sparks.

But not easy not knowing what model, type, what you have done with it before.
Back to top Go down
CountryBoy357

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 4:34 pm

I just got it yesterday, today is the first day i've done anything to it. It's a 11.5 HP Briggs and Stratton I/C. The previous owner relocated the gas tank to the back of the mower, under the seat. could the lack of gravity influence make it have this problem?
Back to top Go down
CountryBoy357

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 4:36 pm

As far as the mower itself goes, i'm not real sure white it kind it is or any of that.

Back to top Go down
CountryBoy357

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 4:38 pm

I can post up pictures but i don't know how to
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 4:40 pm

Simple fact if it runs on carb cleaner, but not without, something in the fuel system is wrong.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 4:48 pm

CountryBoy357 wrote:
I just got it yesterday, today is the first day i've done anything to it. It's a 11.5 HP Briggs and Stratton I/C. The previous owner relocated the gas tank to the back of the mower, under the seat. could the lack of gravity influence make it have this problem?

Yeah it might, so try lifting it or try the funnel trick.

For pics, a external acc. I found the easiest.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 4:51 pm

Chopperhed wrote:
Simple fact if it runs on carb cleaner, but not without, something in the fuel system is wrong.

Since you went there, starting fluid is kinda banned here(In Norway), we have a saying that the motor gets used to it and won't run on anything else, so we never rarely use it here. Do you know where that saying is from? And if its based on some facts or just fiction.

Last edited by Thunderdivine on March 31st 2013, 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit: Here = Norway)
Back to top Go down
CountryBoy357

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 4:59 pm

I've never heard that saying before but i suppose that it could be factual.
Back to top Go down
CountryBoy357

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 8:24 pm

Alrighty, It's a little after 8 PM, I'm calling it a day on this mower. Hopefully better luck tomorrow. So far I've cleaned the carb 4 times now, i've flushed the gas line, adjusted the carb(though i'm not 100% sure i did that right), I've tried covering the carb hole, and yet still no luck. A buddy is stoppin by tomorrow and gonna see what he can figure out.
A potential solution? I've noticed that there is no fuel pump, the gas lines run right from the gas tank to the carb. The previous owner moved the gas tank to the back, it runs flat and even with the ground untill it gets about 8 inches from the carb and starts rising upward, against gravity. Is this thing gravity fed? I'm new to ride on lawn mowers so i'm not sure if that is even a set up that they use. What's all your thoughts about that?
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 8:30 pm

Try jacking up the rearend where it sits highter in the back and low in the front and then try starting it up.
If it starts then you could mount on a fuel pump to the motor some where so it pump the fuel to the motor.
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2013, 11:29 pm

Yes, they are gravity fed. The good news is that you can pick up a pump fairly cheap on ebay that will run off your battery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-FUEL-PUMP-UNIVERSAL-12V-HEP-02-12V-3-to-5-PSI-18-5-GPH-/160985888418?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257b81b6a2&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
CountryBoy357

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2013, 6:30 pm

So, I relocated the gas tank back to the front. Now it starts and runs fine. I guess it's time to Get some better tires and lift it.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2013, 10:50 pm

Ok thats good.
Back to top Go down
mudmonkey06
mudmonkey06

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2013, 6:18 am

cant wait t see it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE   Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Briggs and stratton carb help PLEASE
Page 1 of 1