All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster

Go down 
+3
Thunderdivine
1997 Murray
camomanusa
7 posters
AuthorMessage
camomanusa
camomanusa

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Empty
PostSubject: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2013, 3:41 pm

Ive decided to start planning out my build for the Troy Bilt Bronco. It has an 18hp Kohler Courage engine. it is a hydrostatic so that aint gonna work out. The best part of it, its pretty much new. Its about 4 years old but, 1) we bought it brand new and 2) only used it the first year we got it and then we put it away. It kept breaking belts for the mowerdeck so my dad stopped using it and i claimed it. I wont probably post much until we get the competition going, but ill post my ideas and adjust until further notice.
My goal is quite simple, make it fast and make it loud, with my own twist throughout the build. I will have to change things due to the speeds i want to achieve (30+ mph). If you have any tips or anything effective you found for speed mowers, let me know. Like a good transaxle or anything!
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2013, 3:36 pm

a peerless 700 is what racers use, and doc sprocket is pretty much an expert on transaxles......
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2013, 4:12 pm

1997 Murray wrote:
a peerless 700 is what racers use, and doc sprocket is pretty much an expert on transaxles......
Unlimted use 1:1 or 2:1 right angle gearboxes. Less breakage and much more heavy duty, they race in one gear only, so the need for gear shifts is none.

On the 700, they race in 3rd. (Tho with tweaked steel gears inside).
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
camomanusa

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2013, 4:19 pm

ok thanks for the imput, i probably aint racing it, just fly around town and have fun
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2013, 4:22 pm

Yeah same that's why im going with the Peerless 700 - 4 speed and keeping the reverse gear cheers 
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
camomanusa

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2013, 11:41 pm

ya buddy! i just hope i cand find a cheap one, do people buy hydrostatic transaxles?
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2014, 12:43 pm

they do, post it on cragslist and if they don't buy it in a few weeks then post it on ebay.
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
camomanusa

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2014, 2:20 pm

ok its pretty much new but used, what should i ask?
Back to top Go down
Mitch'sgarage

PostSubject: Re: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2014, 9:13 am

I have what I think is an mst 205, i know it is peerless and it is a 5 speed. I locked it but i don't know if the welds are strong. 30 bucks if you want it, the input needs a keyway, though I may have one and if you want it I will look for it. you can email me if you do want it, email me at quadricornsrock@gmail.com
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
camomanusa

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2014, 9:00 pm

Sweet! only problem is how much is it gonna be to ship it from nebraska to pennsylvania? scratch 
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
ThatOneTeen

PostSubject: Re: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2014, 9:03 pm

camomanusa wrote:
Sweet! only problem is how much is it gonna be to ship it from nebraska to pennsylvania? scratch 

I was wondering what it would cost from nebraska to Illinois   I hope its not too much Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Mitch'sgarage

PostSubject: Re: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2014, 8:48 am

That is the problem, I would think it would cost an arm and a leg to ship. I could send it in a USPS flat-rate box because if I had to guess it weighs 35 pounds. I I would sell it for 30 dollars it is packed with new grease and locked. I don't know about the strength of the locker but I am pretty sure it will hold up to a lot of use.
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2014, 10:51 am

Mitch'sgarage wrote:
That is the problem, I would think it would cost an arm and a leg to ship. I could send it in a USPS flat-rate box because if I had to guess it weighs 35 pounds. I I would sell it for 30 dollars it is packed with new grease and locked. I don't know about the strength of the locker but I am pretty sure it will hold up to a lot of use.

Not positive, but I think it's illegal to mail something like a trans filled with grease.
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
camomanusa

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2014, 1:17 pm

Angchor wrote:
Mitch'sgarage wrote:

Not positive, but I think it's illegal to mail something like a trans filled with grease.

i dont think it would be illegal to do that, if they can mail them new to us why cant we? unless its shipped grease free?
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2014, 5:08 pm

camomanusa wrote:
Angchor wrote:
Mitch'sgarage wrote:

i dont think it would be illegal to do that, if they can mail them new to us why cant we? unless its shipped grease free?

Most motors are shipped without oil for this reason.

If a company shipped you a trans full of grease they would be paying a special haz mat fee. Usually if you buy something like this, they will only ship to a local retailer, via freight, and not via usps.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2014, 6:56 pm

Angchor wrote:
camomanusa wrote:
Angchor wrote:
Mitch'sgarage wrote:

Most motors are shipped without oil for this reason.

If a company shipped you a trans full of grease they would be paying a special haz mat fee. Usually if you buy something like this, they will only ship to a local retailer, via freight, and not via usps.

MST axles are oild filled, so it shouldnt be to hard to drain the oil out. and save some shipping weight.
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
camomanusa

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2014, 10:13 pm

UPDATE: Got the deck off thats it lol. Moving is a pain
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster   mower - Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Troy Bilt Speed Mower A.K.A. PA's Redneck Roadster
Page 1 of 1