All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Self propelled generator project

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tour1

Self propelled generator project Empty
PostSubject: Self propelled generator project   Self propelled generator project Icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2019, 1:36 am

I have a project going to mount our emergency generator on a frame with an electric motor or motors so it can be driven to a location and maybe tow other equipment to the work site (off road, short distances only).
Back story:  We acquired a broken treadmill, good except for the custom printed circuit board that made it work.
It was a high-end model with no repair manual and $300 service charge to look at it at our house.
I took it apart saving what I could and proving the mechanicals were good.
So now I have a metal frame, an 80 VDC motor (drove the belt), a 110 VAC reversible jack motor (moved the belt up & down to simulate hills) and a 4KW or so generator (had it since the year after Hurricane Sandy).
My plan is to use these parts to make the generator self-propelled and I will use it on my rocky acreage upstate.
I think I can use the up/down motor to steer almost half the wheels.
The 80 VDC variable speed belt motor was used for the running surface. I expect it will drive the 10" harbor freight wheels I am adapting.  They are under $5 each so 10 of them cost $50.
I have an extra FooTe transaxle now and it will give me  or 5 forward speeds.
With electric steering I won't have to add my weight to the payload to steer it, I can make a pendant.Self propelled generator project Runnin10
Back to top Go down

Self propelled generator project
Page 1 of 1