All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Empty
PostSubject: How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed?   How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2011, 7:03 pm

Ok so my headlights on my tractor run high or low with my engine speed, i was wondering if there's a way of changing that? Maybe a voltage regulator?
Because I'd like to run tail lights but hate the dimming affect. Is there anything I could do to change this?
Back to top Go down
cumminsbayou
cumminsbayou

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed?   How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2011, 8:02 pm

hook them up directily to the battery or get a biger allternator for it
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed?   How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2011, 8:19 pm

yea i just dont know if my alt will keep the battery charged enough that way.
Back to top Go down
Plyxrs
Plyxrs

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed?   How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2011, 8:26 pm

well mike does ur carb have the electronic solinoid?
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed?   How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2011, 8:41 pm

no its the old mtd 11hp lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: : Headlights/lights   How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2011, 8:58 pm

run a bigger battery and plan on charging it on down time.. unless you plan on a lot of night runs. if you have room for 2, use 1 for starting and one for the lights and charge the bigger 1 for the lights.
not sure what the ratio is , but you should be able to run the lights 30 min for 30 sec of crank time
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed?   How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2011, 9:06 pm

yea ill prob leave then too much a pain in the a$$ for me to keep charging lol . What about a starter/generator off a old cubcadet i wounder if theres any way of doing that. scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Headlights/lights   How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2011, 9:21 pm

not real efficient and take a lot of hp to turn it. unless you kill it a bunch or plan on doing a lot of kill and start, the lights will drag the battery down faster
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed?   How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2011, 9:26 pm

yea was thinking that. its just seems the newer tractors dont have the diming problem and the battery seem to last all season
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Headlights/lights   How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2011, 9:49 pm

if you dont mind spending a little money and doing some wrenching, see if the model engine has an up grade for an electric clutch. if it does, change out the stater for one that has higher charging. most mowers have a stator to run the lights when running. unless you put on bigger lights, it should run them at speed. lower rpm will dim the light a little. If it wont check battery connections and fuses. stators will go bad and magnets will fall off, but you will have to pull the flywheel to check that. diodes will go bad too. if you have a functioning ammeter and it wornt show a positive charge at full speed, you have a charging problem.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed?   How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2011, 9:54 pm

well my battery is old i have to boost it then after a little bit of riding i can shut it off and start it again w/o prob but if it sits a night it wont.
my amp gauge when riding dont really move at all. and ive never heard of a electric clutch on one of these motors . i need to get a new battery and if it dies out after some use ill prob put a new stator on it.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed?   How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2011, 10:07 am

Run a single wire GM alternator off your motor - id mount it on the top of the motor ( need to make an adapter for a pulley) - should give you more power then you need - in the case of offroading- id go with a 600 and up CCA battery - wont hurt anything and still have plenty of power - a marine or optima battery would take a beating, but they arent cheep.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed?   How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2011, 9:04 am

yea was thinking of that line but decided to just use my mtd for a speed buggy lol
Back to top Go down
Shawn1750
Shawn1750

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed?   How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2012, 7:39 pm

Harbor Freight Tools has a Battery Maintainer for about 5 bucks. Simply plug it in at the end of the day after your ride to keep the battery in top condition, and to make it last longer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed?   How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I stop the headlights from dimming according to engine speed?
Page 1 of 1