All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project

Go down 
+13
truckin42
THE MTD GUY
Doug
TheRainbowBoxer
Chopperhed
TennesseeCowboy
Stretch44875
muddstir
dangeroustoys56
ferg
Hillbilly Homer
Offroader97
CornishMorgan
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
CornishMorgan

tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2012, 7:45 pm

TennesseeCowboy wrote:
I'm lovin the John Deere paint scheme too Very Happy

Yeah I don't mind it, if it were done properly. It's not staying that colour anyways.

Update:
While I am waiting on the carb overhaul kit and the piston rings to come (the gasket set has arrived), I have done a little more to my trailer.

But first here is the mini stand I mentioned in my last update.
tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 DSC00177
It's Just long enough to keep the tow hitch about 2 inches of the ground.

I went and got some box steel to reinforce the frame of the trailer.
tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 DSC00178
I have load tested it at 150kg, so more than enough to carry food, drink, phone, fuel, some spanners and a hammer for when I go on a trip. It's only a light duty trailer.

The floor will be the next this to add to this trailer. The floor will be a single sheet of plywood, 15mm thick (depends on what I can get) or a steel sheet 2mm thick.

Sadly I don't have a tow hitch on my car so I may bribe my dad to hitch my trailer to his car and do a 30mph test run to see if anything fails, if not we're good to go. This should be a very interesting test Razz
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2012, 4:53 pm

Update:

I have taken the gearbox off and serviced it, but it took 10 times longer to do it thanks to the pulley which really did not want to come off, I have now got it off. Thanks to TheRainbowBoxer, Hillbilly Homer and AcreFarm for their pulley removal advice.

I may have gone a little overkill with cleaning inside of the casing and the gears but everything looks good.
tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 DSC002081

My main reason for taking the gearbox apart was to check it's condition and re-grease it since I have no idea when it was last checked, if ever. After much help from dangeroustoys56, CityRedneck, Stretch44875 and others, I decided to give Lucas Red and Tacky grease a shot. First impressions are good but I will open the gearbox again after 15 hours use to see how it looks and report back.

tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 DSC00231
This was taken just before adding the last handful of grease and placing on the top casing back on.

The next task is to mount to gearbox back on the tractor and get the measurements for the new belt and new pulleys for both engine and gearbox.

Last edited by mlwinters on November 13th 2012, 6:27 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Homer
Hillbilly Homer

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2012, 9:43 pm

Shocked ...WOW now that is one clean case... Shocked
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2012, 6:13 pm

Firstly, I must apologize for the lack of updates lately. Life kinda happened and I've not had much time to work on my tractor.

Hillbilly Homer wrote:
Shocked ...WOW now that is one clean case... Shocked

I know, Took 1.5 hours to clean it with a paint brush and petrol. Does look good though Very Happy

Update:

I have finally got the gearbox back together and back on the tractor. While I had the gearbox off, I decided (as some will know) to do a pulley swap. I wanted a bit more speed but didn't want to reduce the power to the back wheels too much. I decided to replace the stock 70mm engine pulley with a 75mm steel taper lock and the stock 165mm gearbox pulley with a 118mm taper lock, giving a engine/gearbox ratio of 1.573:1.

Thanks to goesman for advice on taper lock pulleys.

tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 DSC00260
The clutch and it's pulley are still original.

tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 DSC00264
(ignore the strap, its to stop the battery moving about and shorting out on the frame) (the long bolt is for the front gearbox bracket, now reinstalled)

I am currently running the tractor at slow speed and with no load to allow the gearbox to bed in. I have also adjusted the governor to allow the engine to run at 3400rpm rather than 2700rpm like it used to. The engine is rated at 3600rpm but I want to keep it somewhat underrated for longevity of parts.

Now that winter is coming and it's too cold and wet to be able to make much progress. Over the next couple of months, I will be working on all the electronics that I want to fit, e.g. tail lights, brake lights, flashing amber beacon, number plate lights and all the trailer electrics and the connections between the tractor and trailer.
I will also be adding something else that I'm hoping will be really cool, but that I shall leave you guys to figure that out with future updates. I may drop hits and clues into updates to see if someone gets it and for fun.
I don't want to do too much work to the tractor over the winter as I want to have some fun in any snow we get. Where I live is not known for getting snow often as I'm only 3 miles from the coast and the sea is normally too warm to allow snow to fall. But last 2 years we have had snow and temps down to -20c which smashed local records dating back over 100 years (normal winter temps no lower than -2c). So I'm keeping me fingers crossed for snow.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2012, 8:54 pm

I see one potential issue you might have - the last pic of the trans pulley - it looks like the 1/2 moon key isnt fully set into the groove/pulley - my agway has a similar setup , when i did the pulley swap , my key wasnt fully seated and pulley slipped off and spun.

Im not a fan of those 1/2 moon key setups, its a pain to get the key to sit correctly.

Actually earlier today i had the trans out of the agway to swap the stock pulley back on for mowing ( had too many issues with belt allignment and clutching) - things seemed to seat correctly , because i left the key in the input shaft.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2012, 9:24 pm

Actually, FYI, They are called Woodruff Keys, and when properly installed they are stronger that square keys. The deep half round slot makes it very hard for them to turn and shear off

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2012, 10:18 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I see one potential issue you might have - the last pic of the trans pulley - it looks like the 1/2 moon key isnt fully set into the groove/pulley - my agway has a similar setup , when i did the pulley swap , my key wasnt fully seated and pulley slipped off and spun.

Im not a fan of those 1/2 moon key setups, its a pain to get the key to sit correctly.

Actually earlier today i had the trans out of the agway to swap the stock pulley back on for mowing ( had too many issues with belt allignment and clutching) - things seemed to seat correctly , because i left the key in the input shaft.

Oh, nice spot. I didn't know about that until you said, Ill have to fix that. Thanks for letting me know.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2012, 2:59 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:

I have moved the pulleys so that they are better aligned with the keyways to fix this issue. Thanks again for spotting this Very Happy.

Mini Update:

I submitted a plan and parts list for the roll bar to my Dynamark Tractor on Friday 21st.

The order includes the following parts:
Roll bar,
Roll bar cross member,
Roll bar mounting bracket,
Body re-enforcement,
Diagonal support brackets,
Footboard extensions,
Footboard supports which doubles as chassis re-enforcement,
Chassis stiffening bars.

In total, £120 + TAX of materials and labor.

The roll bar will be used to stop the tractor completely rolling over, to mount lights and beacon on and eventually will form the main support for a roof. The roll bar will be removable at first but removable and collapsible at a later stage.

These parts will be complete by S, J Andrews in Redruth in the beginning of January, I will then be able fit them all to my tractor. Full plans and intentions video to follow soon and a full video and picture blog of the build will be taken and uploaded for you when I get the parts.

Plans and parts list will be released on my Facebook page on Tuesday 25th.

Last edited by CornishMorgan on December 25th 2012, 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2012, 6:56 pm

I'm excited to see where the rollbar project goes. Ever think about making a cab for it, instead of just a roof? And btw even though the original red/black is cool, I really dig the JD paint job on your Dynamark! haha
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2012, 7:28 pm

TennesseeCowboy wrote:
I'm excited to see where the rollbar project goes. Ever think about making a cab for it, instead of just a roof? And btw even though the original red/black is cool, I really dig the JD paint job on your Dynamark! haha

Yeah the roof will be a permanent feature of the roll bar, the cab parts will be attached onto the roof and will be removable. I don't need a cab in the summer and its sunny and 30c but i would need it in the winter when its raining and 0c.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2012, 1:47 pm

I have uploaded the plans and part list to Facebook, Check it out https://www.facebook.com/CornishMorgan
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2013, 1:28 pm

Update:
As you may know from my video's, I have now got the roll bar parts detailed in the link in my last update.

I have stripped down my tractor and have sanded 99% of the paint and primer off the chassis pan ready for applying red oxide to the metal and then trim and weld the angle iron sections onto the chassis. In total the sanding took about 12 hours and around 30 A4 size sheet of sand paper. I have also worn down the wire brush to the point that there is only about 4mm of the wires left.

Top surface of chassis pan
tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 DSC00297_zps5e5d181a

Bottom surface
tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 DSC00298_zps5f60fa27

Close up shot of the shiny-ness
tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 DSC00300_zpseaba90cc
It still needs a little bit of work but it's almost done.

Check out my youtube page for more info of my progress
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2013, 5:17 pm

Know its sort of a pain, if youre going for a custom look , patch all the unecessary holes in the chassis for a clean look - if its going to be offroaded and put under alot of stress - now's the time to reinforce the chassis as well - even just some angle would help.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2013, 8:10 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Know its sort of a pain, if youre going for a custom look , patch all the unecessary holes in the chassis for a clean look - if its going to be offroaded and put under alot of stress - now's the time to reinforce the chassis as well - even just some angle would help.

Im not going to patch up to holes in the chassis, I don't know which holes im going to need and to be fair, I didn't really see the point since you won't be able to see the holes when the tractor is done.

I am putting 30mm X 3mm angle under the chassis to stiffen it up, There will also be 4 cross struts on it as well, Im hoping it will be enough to stop the chassis flexing.

Check out the video below to see how im doing the re-inforcement.

Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2013, 8:53 am

Wow! At this point you should just consider lacquering it and leaving it shiny! It'll look like the delorean of tracotrs!

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2013, 6:26 pm

TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
Wow! At this point you should just consider lacquering it and leaving it shiny! It'll look like the delorean of tracotrs!

I like the idea, but there are too many imperfections for it to look good and i don't want to go to the expense of getting it sandblasted. I am going to coat it with iron oxide paint, sand it down then apply another coat, I will then paint it with normal spray paint. I may then lacquer it.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2013, 4:24 pm

Sorry I haven't posted an update in here for ages, I've been making videos instead.

Anyway, Since my last update I have removed all the old paint and repainted it with red oxide primer. I then remove the primer from the places that will have welds so I can get the best quality welds for the chassis reinforcement.

I then started on the 30x30 angle iron (steel) reinforcement bars, I began with wire brushing them and then marking out where to cut.
I then cut them to the correct shape and size. These where then masked off and coated with red oxide. After allowing them to dry for a couple of days.

This is the reinforcement bars and chassis cut and placed where they are going to go. (taken just before priming)
tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 DSC00306_zpsccb7bea4

Next I welded them to the chassis pan. From basic tests while in the shop this process has reduced the chassis flax by around 50%. However I won't be able to know for sure until I complete real world tests. I have never designed it to completely stiffen the chassis up in the first place, just to make it stiffer then what is was as this mower is not a full blow off roader. That is a future project.

This is after the reinforcement bar have been welded to the chassis pan.
tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 DSC00314_zpsab62cd11

A huge thank you to Doug Fackler, jawood1617 and ThunderDivine for responding to my question on my youtube video regarding weather I should start cross members or rebuild the tractor and start the roll bar as the next step.

After their advice, I have now partly rebuilt the tractor and I now have both axles back on as well as the box thing where the seat and dashboard bolts to and the wheel arches back on the tractor. I have got the brakes installed, connected and semi-readjusted.

I have removed some of the paint from around the area where the roll bar will go on wheel arch section and marked out where I'm going to drill new hole in it. I have also started fabricating the stubs which the roll bar will be attached on to. The roll bar itself will slide on over these stubs and be held in place by bolts. The roll bar will be completely detachable simply by removing the bolt and lifting it off the stubs. The will be two multi pin electrical cables that will go up to the lights but that's in a couple of months. Eventually the roll bar will be collapsible as well as removable.

Here's a basic idea of the parts in currently making,

tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Roll_zpse6318c5e
The stubs will be welded to the top mounting plate. The stock wheel arch will then sit between the top and bottom mounting place and the hole thing will be bolted together. Feather reinforcement of this area will happen later on. These mounting brackets will be bolted to the body work and not welded, this will allow me to remove it for later modification.

I am hoping to post a video on Monday of this fabrication work being, I shall leave you guessing as to the bit I'm really look forward to Very Happy.

Last edited by CornishMorgan on February 17th 2013, 3:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2013, 4:48 pm

Good idea on making it removable!

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
THE MTD GUY
THE MTD GUY

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2013, 10:09 am

thats a nice looking mower. what year is it?
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2013, 8:26 pm

Thanks, I don't know for sure but I'm guessing a 1985. The engine is a late 84 but I don't know if it's the original engine, it looks it.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 12:41 pm

It looks good its coming together nicely.
Keep up the good work
Back to top Go down
THE MTD GUY
THE MTD GUY

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 1:37 pm

tht thing sounds so beautiful. Laughing
Back to top Go down
SkiLLz

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2013, 2:19 pm

tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 680

Before

tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 717

After

I have alot more pictures of the build but this gives you a general idea of all the work I went through..late 70's not exactly sure on the year, sat in a field for 6 years..bought it for 10 bucks off the guy and completely went through it. Keep up the good work! These things have potential!!
Back to top Go down
mzeng100
mzeng100

PostSubject: Nice!   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2013, 11:17 am

I have a 1980 briggs 11hp too, they run so nice, barely did any work to it after sitting for 15 years and it fired up!
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2013, 12:41 pm

any updates cornish? this is a very interesting project.
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2013, 4:56 pm

^^^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project   tractor - Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Atco/Dynamark 11hp Lawn Tractor Project
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2