All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Help! Tranny moaning and groaning

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

Help! Tranny moaning and groaning Empty
PostSubject: Help! Tranny moaning and groaning   Help! Tranny moaning and groaning Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2012, 12:30 am

So i just bought a GoPro and i bolted the plastic bottom thing onto the mower because i cant get more mounts until next week but i wanted to test it out. Sooooo make with what ya got, right? At the end of my video im on my way home and the tranny just starts groaning and squeeling and moaning SUPER loud and i cant figure why it would do that. I have tranny fluid in there. Should there be gear oil or lube in there? Its a oil tranny
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Help! Tranny moaning and groaning   Help! Tranny moaning and groaning Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2012, 12:32 am

around 8:41 it starts groaning but all through the video all the GoPro picks up in sound is the damn tranny squeeling and moaning
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Help! Tranny moaning and groaning   Help! Tranny moaning and groaning Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2012, 1:39 pm

If I remember right you said " if it blows it blows" . Gear oil would have been the proper lube to use. Maybe you can still save the trans, but I think you need to find another one.
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Help! Tranny moaning and groaning   Help! Tranny moaning and groaning Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2012, 1:52 pm

Lol yes. I did say that. But its working fine just groans every so often.
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Help! Tranny moaning and groaning   Help! Tranny moaning and groaning Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2012, 5:20 pm

Just to make sure of what you have, is this a hydro or gear trans? If it is a gear, drain out the dexron and fill it with 80/90 gear oil, maybe it can be saved. I would think it will need new bushings. I would suggest, at least change the oil before running it too much more.
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Help! Tranny moaning and groaning   Help! Tranny moaning and groaning Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2012, 10:03 pm

Its a geared. Ill pick up some oil tomorrow or sometime soon but i wont run it anymore until then. Thx. haha
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Help! Tranny moaning and groaning   Help! Tranny moaning and groaning Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2012, 8:11 pm

If youre running fast- use a heavy oil - personally i used straight lucas oil additive in my trans with some 90 wt gear oil in my mod murray - thing howled and whined something wicked when i spun it up - it never self destructed tho.

If you regularlly mud with it - y might want to change the oil every so often- water will find a way in eventually.
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Help! Tranny moaning and groaning   Help! Tranny moaning and groaning Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2012, 11:55 pm

I put the old oil in it until i can go buy some new heavy gear lube for it, Stopped whining and moaning within 5mins of riding it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! Tranny moaning and groaning   Help! Tranny moaning and groaning Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help! Tranny moaning and groaning
Page 1 of 1