All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craftsman engine pulley swap

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dous

Craftsman engine pulley swap Empty
PostSubject: Craftsman engine pulley swap   Craftsman engine pulley swap Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2012, 1:38 pm

So I just got done doing a pulley swap on my 1990's 11HP Craftman.

I cut off the deck drive and put it in the origonal pulleys spot.

Problem is, the clutch now hits the engine pulley and wont let me fully clutch in, and the brakes are no longer able to be engaged.

Is there anyway to adjust the clutch so it has a shorter throw? Or will i have to cut off the pulley I welded on?

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman engine pulley swap   Craftsman engine pulley swap Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2012, 4:12 pm

Im having the same problem, thats the only reason i havnt swapped pulley's yet
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman engine pulley swap   Craftsman engine pulley swap Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2012, 4:25 pm

Don't know if it is due to the same issue, but we had to reverse the clutch action and change the clutch pulley to a flat one since it now rides on the other side of the belt. We run a separate brake pedal, so not sure how you would address that.

The Red arrow shows where the clutch rod originally connected. The Green arrow shows which way the pulley moves now when you let off the clutch. Belt goes on the green arrow side of the pully.

Craftsman engine pulley swap Clutch10

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman engine pulley swap   Craftsman engine pulley swap Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2012, 4:26 pm

I had that same issue when i swapped pulleys on my 85 LT12 - id go to clutch or stop ( try to) and id be met with a large screeching noise of the idler pulley hitting the engine pulley .

After i locked up the stock trans, i just used another mower for a mod.

Youll be needing to modify or make a new clutch setup - youll also need something more substantial for brakes as well - craftsman brakes are terrible.
Back to top Go down
Dous

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman engine pulley swap   Craftsman engine pulley swap Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2012, 4:40 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I had that same issue when i swapped pulleys on my 85 LT12 - id go to clutch or stop ( try to) and id be met with a large screeching noise of the idler pulley hitting the engine pulley .

After i locked up the stock trans, i just used another mower for a mod.

Youll be needing to modify or make a new clutch setup - youll also need something more substantial for brakes as well - craftsman brakes are terrible.

I will try something different with the clutch I guess. It rubs just a hair, if I had a pulley that was like 1/4" less in diameter it wouldn't rub, kind of a pain in he butt for something simple

It's nice a fast now though!
Back to top Go down
Dous

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman engine pulley swap   Craftsman engine pulley swap Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2012, 6:20 pm

I am not even able to clutch in enough to get the wheels to stop spinning....what a scary test ride!

Need to figure something out before I Total this thing against a tree
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Homer
Hillbilly Homer

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman engine pulley swap   Craftsman engine pulley swap Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2012, 9:37 am

Have you tried a longer drive belt?
Back to top Go down
Dous

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman engine pulley swap   Craftsman engine pulley swap Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 10:28 pm

Thats exactly what I did Hillbilly.

I had a 92" belt on it. IT was just too tight.

Went to the TSC hoping for a 93", but all they had was a 94", it works, but I have to let the clutch out all the way, no modulation

Looks like I will order a 93" on the 'puter.

But it seems like this swap is do-able, just need to make a seperate brake handle/pedal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman engine pulley swap   Craftsman engine pulley swap Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craftsman engine pulley swap
Page 1 of 1