All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

MTD MUD Machine

Go down 
+2
arild365
Chunk
6 posters
AuthorMessage

MTD MUD Machine Empty
PostSubject: MTD MUD Machine   MTD MUD Machine Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2010, 4:18 am

I finally got my own mower that i could use to build into a Mud mower. [img]MTD MUD Machine Sany0013[/img]

At the moment no engine because the old one blew up. But hey cant complain for free.
[img]MTD MUD Machine Sany0014[/img]

The guy i Got it From totally screwed up wiring so i decided to redo all of it and it turned out to be pretty good. Might put in a tether still.
[img]MTD MUD Machine Sany0015[/img]

The trails here are all rutted out by four wheelers since in the summer the ground is so soft so i am thinking about running duals front and rear to clear the ruts. I want to get 3 more of these tires.
[img]MTD MUD Machine Sany0016[/img]

They are 10x20 i belive.

I also would like to put a new trans axle in it so i could have for gear posibilities. And great speed. and low gearing.
[img]MTD MUD Machine Sany0017[/img]

The only reason i am doing this build on the forum is for your input for my bad ideas and for better ideas. Still need more planning. like for a front bumper and rear. I would like to get one of those boat winches for putting boat on trailer and mounting it on the back with a crane type deal for hauling logs put of the woods.

Sorry for bad pictures my camera sucks.
Will try getting better pictures in future.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

MTD MUD Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD MUD Machine   MTD MUD Machine Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2010, 4:38 am

I'd go for a peerless manual gear box,, thsoe shift on the fly MTD trannies wont hold up if you're taking them much faster. Thats my only concern. Its definatly got the basis for an awesome build. What sort of engine are you planning on putting into it?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids

MTD MUD Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD MUD Machine   MTD MUD Machine Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2010, 4:45 am

Yea i heard bout those shit on the fly. Im thinking a twin. But im not going to be picky its really hard to get stuff where i live for a cheap price.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

MTD MUD Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD MUD Machine   MTD MUD Machine Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2010, 5:48 am

I hear that, its almost impossible to get anything decent for a good price around here too. Even for tractors in really rough condition, people still demand £100 + for them! affraid
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
arild365
arild365

MTD MUD Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD MUD Machine   MTD MUD Machine Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2010, 9:59 am

here too! i hate watching those youtube vids with people that get them tractors for free or like 10 bucks Mad here for a piece of shit, itll cost you 100 bucks. i get so jelous Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
CMHN
CMHN

MTD MUD Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD MUD Machine   MTD MUD Machine Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2010, 10:08 am

I wont pay for a tractor that Im going to mod anyway. The 3 riders I have for fun I got for free. People just sit them out in front of there house with a free sign. I have even had people ask me to take some. Who am I to refuse. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://ctraugh.blogspot.com/
welder1991
welder1991

MTD MUD Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD MUD Machine   MTD MUD Machine Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2010, 11:51 am

I've never payed for a tractor either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bedfordmowersports.webs.com

MTD MUD Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD MUD Machine   MTD MUD Machine Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2010, 2:30 pm

Me either but I think this time I might have to spend a little money on engine
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

MTD MUD Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD MUD Machine   MTD MUD Machine Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2010, 5:32 pm

I try not to pay over $50 for a tractor- ive went as high as $75 tho- those had twin cylenders on em and i like em!

Actually- MTD rear rims are 8" - tires are taller. I managed to pull the rear wheels off my mild mod MTD ( In the project section) and put a set of shorter profile tires on those rims to lower it w/o cutting the chassis and lowering the transaxle.

Only bad thing about those MTD rims are theyre notched , they dont have a keyway . Youd have a hard time adapting another set of them on your tractor .

For offroading, go with something with more ground clearance- like Fearlessfront did- use a set of small honda or ford ranger tires like Roboman - widen the front stance, and youll have plenty of clearance in those atv ruts, for traction, use some old studded snowtires. A twin would pack the power to the wheels easily, altho, the stock MTD trans wouldnt hack it , youd need a heavier trans.

One crazy idea i had was using four rear wheels off my GT craftsmans on a 90's GT 6000, use a wheelhorse trans under the front, mount the horizontal twin motor sideways and have a genuine 4x4 lawntractor that could be shifted into 2 wheel drive- i just dont have time/money to even consider building it at this time.
Back to top Go down

MTD MUD Machine Empty
PostSubject: MTD mud machine   MTD MUD Machine Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2010, 7:16 pm

Looks like a good frame to start with, the trannys got to go though! Razz
Yeah cars tires for the rear is great but you need to watch those little 3/4" axles that why i went with a strait 1" ATV style axle so i wouldn't have to worry about them breaking.

Anyways good luck with your build, modding mowers is like a drug you have to keep doing it over any over! lol!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

MTD MUD Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD MUD Machine   MTD MUD Machine Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2010, 2:36 pm

Yeah , now that the agway is here, i have a mud/rockcrawler to build ...... MORE projects! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

MTD MUD Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD MUD Machine   MTD MUD Machine Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2010, 10:00 pm

It looks light! I would take out anything thats not needed, and reinforce everything you can. It should be a great wheeler!
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
Sponsored content

MTD MUD Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD MUD Machine   MTD MUD Machine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MTD MUD Machine
Page 1 of 1