All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on

Go down 
+2
Chopperhed
Murray modder
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Murray modder
Murray modder

belt - My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on Empty
PostSubject: My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on   belt - My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on Icon_minitimeNovember 25th 2012, 11:33 pm

I have my own clutch/idler assemblies for my Murray widebody, Metal clutch over the crappy ABS plactic ones oringinally, and a Idler. (didnt have one stock) My problem is, Thebelt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on, any ideas why? Ive ruled out the belt being to small, its actually a little big..
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

belt - My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on Empty
PostSubject: Re: My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on   belt - My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on Icon_minitimeNovember 25th 2012, 11:45 pm

well, simple facts say that either the clutch isn't disengaging, or the brake isn;t engaging
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on   belt - My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on Icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2012, 12:08 am

Chopperhed wrote:
well, simple facts say that either the clutch isn't disengaging, or the brake isn;t engaging
This glutch fully disengages, I check on that first, Its REALLY weird, I can use the little parking brake rod (some tractor have them, other's dont) and it moves MUCH slower than without it, so I think its gotten something stuck in the belt line somethere.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on   belt - My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on Icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2012, 1:06 am

My old mod murray would do that - the belt was too tight - it could be a neutral clutch setting if it has any adjustments - one of my mowing MTD's would creep when brakes were on - the PO fiddled with the linkages.

Most tractor racers use a dual pulley clutch setup:belt - My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on Img_6410

Gives less belt slippage but releases when clutch is applied.
Back to top Go down
tractorboy567
tractorboy567

PostSubject: Re: My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on   belt - My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 6:57 pm

when you push the clutch in does it still give the belt tension?
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on   belt - My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 11:28 pm

My Murray did this. Push the clutch in and the belt would start burning itself. I had crappy pulleys though. I would think the clutch pushed in should give the belt no tension at all.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on   belt - My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2013, 12:03 pm

Check that the brake adjustment isn't tightened down too far, I had a similar issue with my Dynamark where the brake adjustment on the gearbox was done up so far, it wouldn't let the clutch go all the way out. The may also be a sliding rail type thing on the clutch plate.

Try loosening the brake or disconnecting it and then pushing your clutch all the way in, see if it still creeps. If so try moving the idler pulley on the clutch plate more to the centre of the sliding rail to give the belt a bit more slack.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on   belt - My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My belt wants to keep going (keeps the tractor in motion) when the clutch/brake is on
Page 1 of 1