All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor.

Go down 
+2
dangeroustoys56
jaymz_eric
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jaymz_eric

project - Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor. Empty
PostSubject: Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor.   project - Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor. Icon_minitimeNovember 27th 2012, 12:28 am

ok I need some opinions here. Im looking for a winter project I can work on and get ready for next year. Basically I want a serious garden tractor, all steal, old school stump puller. Now I have some things it must have, it must be super strong, no keyed axles, I want lug nuts. tons of torgue to pull a plow or push a blade, etc. etc. Its needs to have parts that most part shops carry and dependable. I basically want to plow up a garden next year, be able to use it as a mini tractor in the woods and if i decide to I'd like there to be a wide range of attachments and upgrades out there for it. Also one last thing, I know some john deeres have hydraulic hook ups, that would be cool to have too. So what should I look for guys? Ive been eyeing some old cubs and deeres but im not sure about the older stuff ya know. thanks guys all your advice and opinions are welcome!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

project - Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor.   project - Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor. Icon_minitimeNovember 27th 2012, 8:56 am

Older wheelhorse's , sears are the most popular - my 69 raider 10 has a 1/2 moon key holding the 5 bolt hubs on - my 86 GT II craftsman has splined 5 bolt hubs ( oddly enough the wheelhorse wheels fit the craftsman) - id say something with a 3 hi/3 low trans would work in all areas, i had some issues with the wheelhorse trans ( missing input shaft bushings) but the craftsman trans is still a tough unit because its all gears inside.

JD's command high prices - old or new - itll be tough finding something decently priced, unless something is broken on it. Its also high dollar getting replacement pieces for JD's.
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor.   project - Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor. Icon_minitimeNovember 27th 2012, 12:24 pm

I run a Case 444 for my working tractor, lots of attachments available for it. They are cheaper than the Deere's if you can find one. It has 6 bolt 16 inch rear rims and hydralic lift with power down and float.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor.   project - Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor. Icon_minitimeNovember 27th 2012, 1:09 pm

The older pre 83 Ford LGT series tractors look to be strong as an ox. Heavy steel frames, real gearboxes, and good torque. I saw a video of one this morning pulling a single bottom breaking plow with no problems. They come with Kohler engines stock, and from what I've seen, a 10hp LGT 100 will outpull and outpower the 16.5 B&S in my MTD.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor.   project - Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor. Icon_minitimeNovember 27th 2012, 3:42 pm

The old cub cadets would be my pick. Somewhere from the 1960's to late 70's, would have to be a gear shift one like a 100, 122,124 ect. Their really heavy, have a real clutch, drivshaft, and a kohler motor. You can get a tiller, blade, blower, 1 bottom plow, a creeper drive and many other things for them. Aftermarket parts are out there for them too, and becouse most tractor pullers use them the stuff will stay around. Can also run modified vw clutches in them and modified ford (car) rear end parts in them.
The hydo's are ok just not my style (they till better in my book) and some did come with hyd deck lift that can be used to lift other attchments.
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor.   project - Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor. Icon_minitimeNovember 27th 2012, 5:01 pm

I'm partial to IH built Cubs myself. I've got a 782 hydro, and 2 gear driven machines (122 & 1200).
Of course any of the big names put out great machines, but as stated any older Roper, Jacobsen, Gilson, AMF, etc. will do what you're wanting. Murray, MTD & AYP have also built some decent GT's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor.   project - Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Im looking for a winter project and need suggestion/ opinions for a workhorse tractor.
Page 1 of 1