All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor

Go down 
+4
TennesseeCowboy
gearheadmike
rex4x4
Theworktractor
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Empty
PostSubject: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2012, 8:41 pm

I traded a buddy of mine a hydro static for this and have very many plans for its future. it is an 1990 AGWAY 12/28

THINGS TO COME:
-full carb rebuild
-pulley swap (going to use mower pulley)
-1156 LED light bulbs to fit stock sockets
-stack exhaust
-bigger tires (want 22-23s)

yes, I know it has the variable pulley set up but i have no problem with it for now because it it better than my old hydro.
also I got rid of the 15.5hp opposed twin i used to have for this 12hp (twin sucked in to much gas for my wallet haha)
But this is how she sits as of this weekend

https://i.servimg.com/u/f10/18/00/03/52/img_2012.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f10/18/00/03/52/img_2013.jpg
Back to top Go down
rex4x4
rex4x4

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2012, 10:31 pm

nice lookin machine
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/rex4x4
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2012, 11:49 pm

Nice rig its just like the one im using for parts it was compleate untill i got to it the other night lol,im using foot rest/fenders/center body-frame part

1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Agway11

1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Stripp10

1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Stripp11

Jw where ur located?
Back to top Go down
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 22nd 2012, 5:43 pm

Thanks! and yeah it will be better after I lock the transaxle! got the original turf saver tires/rims off today at my dads work had to heat em up for a while and use an air hammer to get them off haha next to come is the tire chains and to lock the rear end because im getting a welder for christmas! cheers Im located in central NY in a city called cortland What a Face
Back to top Go down
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 22nd 2012, 5:57 pm

Just another thing to show, this tractor came from the junk yard and it came with this awesome homemade tow hitch! the receiver thats on it in the picture is my friends but i have a ball in the center hole on the plate and this thing is strong as hell! I just wish it was removable haha

1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Img_2014
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 22nd 2012, 9:17 pm

Nice project you have there!! I'm also working on making a stack and have a 4 page post about it in the engine section if you wanna check it out. I'm just getting ideas so far. And that tow hitch is awesome, i bet it'd pull a truck out of the mud haha
Back to top Go down
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 22nd 2012, 10:26 pm

TennesseeCowboy wrote:
Nice project you have there!! I'm also working on making a stack and have a 4 page post about it in the engine section if you wanna check it out. I'm just getting ideas so far. And that tow hitch is awesome, i bet it'd pull a truck out of the mud haha

Hahah thanks man! yeah ill definitly go check that out! i want to make one that still has a muffler or baffle just so it doesnt risk my chance of burning my valves
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2012, 2:22 pm

Yeah, i'm just experimenting with ideas right now. I want a tractor sound to it lol
Back to top Go down
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2012, 6:50 pm

TennesseeCowboy wrote:
Yeah, i'm just experimenting with ideas right now. I want a tractor sound to it lol

Same here haha I wish it sounded as cool as my old 15.5 opposed twin! now that sounded like a Harley
Back to top Go down
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2012, 7:01 pm

Well guys here in central New York snow is finally here! today I strapped two small cement blocks to the rear of the tractor for added traction. I will take these off when towing wood because I'm guessing the weight of the trailer/wood will be good enough. also in the picture you can see the new rear tires i have on there for winter. ill be putting chains on these in the next day or so hopefully and use them for winter and when warmer weather comes around ill add some 22-23 inch tires on her!! still debating on locking the rear end. what do you guys think? Ill have an 80amp gas-less mig welder pretty soon but I'm unsure if the welds would be strong enough. is there that big of a change when you lock the rear diff? any responses would be appreciated Very Happy

1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Img_2015
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 7:06 am

I own a few MTD's - the transaxle has a splined pulley - so youll need to use something similar or make some sort of adapter. - pulley cant be higher then the existing one or itll eat belts.

Youll want to add grease fittings to the case of the transaxle- the stock grease wont cut it - drill , then tap the case and put some threaded zerk fittings in from underneath( to be able to acess them). I did that with a couple of my tractors and made a world of difference.

I have a stock 97 Mastercut, the PO's adjusted the high speed linkage and even with stock pulleys goes way too fast for mowing - it had an issue with stopping ( crawled when brake was on) also but that had to do with the neutral setting of the variable pulley.

I swapped pulleys on another MTD, didnt do a thing for any extra speed - the high speed linkage needs to be tweeked in order to do anything.

I used to live up in NY - i dont miss the snow.
Back to top Go down
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 7:36 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I own a few MTD's - the transaxle has a splined pulley - so youll need to use something similar or make some sort of adapter. - pulley cant be higher then the existing one or itll eat belts.

Youll want to add grease fittings to the case of the transaxle- the stock grease wont cut it - drill , then tap the case and put some threaded zerk fittings in from underneath( to be able to acess them). I did that with a couple of my tractors and made a world of difference.

I have a stock 97 Mastercut, the PO's adjusted the high speed linkage and even with stock pulleys goes way too fast for mowing - it had an issue with stopping ( crawled when brake was on) also but that had to do with the neutral setting of the variable pulley.

I swapped pulleys on another MTD, didnt do a thing for any extra speed - the high speed linkage needs to be tweeked in order to do anything.

thanks for the info! yeah i own two snowmobiles so i love the snow haha but im stilll debateing if i want to keep this chassis or buy another tractor and get a manual trans. also mine crawls when i have the clutch all the way in, its so annoying! today it made me so mad because it wouldnt shift into neutral on a small hill!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 8:45 pm

Theworktractor wrote:
dangeroustoys56 wrote:

thanks for the info! yeah i own two snowmobiles so i love the snow haha but im stilll debateing if i want to keep this chassis or buy another tractor and get a manual trans. also mine crawls when i have the clutch all the way in, its so annoying! today it made me so mad because it wouldnt shift into neutral on a small hill!

Those single speed transaxles and variable clutch system sucks. Just buy a new (or get one off a donor tractor) geared transaxle and redo the clutch (Fearless has a tutorial) Id definitely keep the body though, those 90s tractors just look so much better than what comes out nowadays.

Yours is a nice looking machine. I really like that rear receiver.
Back to top Go down
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 10:50 pm

Thanks! yeahh i deffinitly want to change the drive system up! what is that video called? id like to watch that and yeah haha thats mostly why i want to keep modding it is because the tow hitch and the body style most older tractors like it around here end up getting scrapped-luckily i saved this before it did haha Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 11:29 pm

Theworktractor wrote:
Thanks! yeahh i deffinitly want to change the drive system up! what is that video called? id like to watch that and yeah haha thats mostly why i want to keep modding it is because the tow hitch and the body style most older tractors like it around here end up getting scrapped-luckily i saved this before it did haha Very Happy

Boom

and boom.

Back to top Go down
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2012, 12:39 am

Doug Fackler wrote:
Theworktractor wrote:

Boom

and boom.

Thanks! and I watched your videos! great build and good job with thats dash! kinda makes me want to build a racer again haha
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2012, 12:49 am

Appreciate it! Im getting a little better at speaking, so my future videos shouldnt be as bad. Just keep tuned into my channel and my progress thread, ill update both as I get working.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2012, 8:07 am

Tractor racers use that clutch setup- it wont slip as much and has better response.

When i made vids on YT - i found it hard to think things thru when i spoke - most times i re did the videos a bunch of times.
Back to top Go down
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2012, 6:04 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
Appreciate it! Im getting a little better at speaking, so my future videos shouldnt be as bad. Just keep tuned into my channel and my progress thread, ill update both as I get working.

No problem! i literally watched all of them so im caught up haha cant wait for an update! but you deffinitly could use some better lighting in there its kinda hard to see Smile
Back to top Go down
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2012, 10:41 pm

Well guys today I got some accessory work done. I got some aftermarket fog lights from my dad for Christmas which i though was a good idea because i do alot of night riding. the brand of them are platinum burners. its just a cheap walmart brand but hey, there going on a tractor either way. the stock light sockets were pretty much stock and i couldnt find them anywhere so i just mounted the lights above the stock location haha still looks alright and man they make a huge difference compared to the one stock light i had on there. next thing i think im gonna to do is pull the transmission and lock it i just need to go buy some mig wire for my new welder. still deciding what to do with this if i should put a manual trans in it and cob that up, find a new chassis made for a manual trans, OR run this tranny on here locked for a while until I buy another tractor. let me know with any ideas you guys have because i do read your replys and take all ideas into consideration! Very Happy also, If I did decide to find a manual trans for it, what problems would i run into like the alignment of the belt, shifting linkages, breaks, etc.. getting parts is fairly easy for me because my strange neighbor old man jack "collects" these lawn tractors, mostly older ones, and has 100+ up north at his other house but the only hard thing about it is getting him to let go of some of the stuff to sell like he will sell me a non-running tractor for 40 bucks, but thats because thats how much he gets for scrapping them. BUT anyways let me know with any suggestions, comments, or ideas for me because I hate getting my tractor talked down on because it has a variable pulley lol Mad

1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Img_2016
The lights

1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Img_2017
mounted up above factory lights

1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Img_2018
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2012, 10:57 pm

I need to get some lights for mine when im done. If you havent noticed, I blacked out the lens for the lights. Partially because it looks better (I have a clear lens), but I want to low mount some bright LEDs under the grilled for "low beams".

You can lock a single speed no problem, the spider gears are really the same. Its just really messy and tedious cause you dont want contaminants in the case like burrs from welding or anything.

Definitely look at getting a geared transmission. They arent truly manual like a car, they just have a variable drive. But since they run on a single belt it can be more tense and you will get a lot less slippage if the pulleys ever get wet. Get one, then lock that up and redo your clutch (using the provided videos).

EDIT: You should hook up an ON-OFF-ON switch and make it so the stock lights can run as "low beams". lol

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2012, 11:55 pm

I got my dad the round style of the light you got for his f-350 they work great in the fog!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2012, 11:43 am

My 94 murray has a shift on the go trans - its an interesting setup , when the handle is moved in, it automatically activates the clutch , so you can shift w/o clutching - its a regular peerless 6 speed transmission underneath.

I planned on rebuilding my murray, but more i think about it, more i might end up hacking the shift on go setup out and weld it in a parts craftsman chassis - be easier to lower it that way then refigure the murray setup, then mount the murray sheetmetal on it.
Back to top Go down
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2012, 5:55 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
I need to get some lights for mine when im done. If you havent noticed, I blacked out the lens for the lights. Partially because it looks better (I have a clear lens), but I want to low mount some bright LEDs under the grilled for "low beams".

You can lock a single speed no problem, the spider gears are really the same. Its just really messy and tedious cause you dont want contaminants in the case like burrs from welding or anything.

Definitely look at getting a geared transmission. They arent truly manual like a car, they just have a variable drive. But since they run on a single belt it can be more tense and you will get a lot less slippage if the pulleys ever get wet. Get one, then lock that up and redo your clutch (using the provided videos).

EDIT: You should hook up an ON-OFF-ON switch and make it so the stock lights can run as "low beams". lol

haha that would be a great idea with the low beams! i think i will lock it and if i dont like it ill get a new trans or do the idead with keeping the body and putting it on another tractor.
Back to top Go down
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2012, 5:58 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
My 94 murray has a shift on the go trans - its an interesting setup , when the handle is moved in, it automatically activates the clutch , so you can shift w/o clutching - its a regular peerless 6 speed transmission underneath.

I planned on rebuilding my murray, but more i think about it, more i might end up hacking the shift on go setup out and weld it in a parts craftsman chassis - be easier to lower it that way then refigure the murray setup, then mount the murray sheetmetal on it.

Do you know how i can adjust my clutch? when ever I have it all the way pressed in it still likes to move like its not loosening enough and the belt is still gripping. also when it is on i find it hard to get into neutral or even shifting at all some times!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor    1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1990 AGWAY work/off road tractor
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next