All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Honda Engine NO SPARK even at the points

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cr8zyB0b
Cr8zyB0b

engine - Honda Engine NO SPARK even at the points Empty
PostSubject: Honda Engine NO SPARK even at the points   engine - Honda Engine NO SPARK even at the points Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2013, 9:49 am

I have a 11hp honda engine verticle shaft and i have a big problem it turns over but it wont spark at first i thought it was the plug so i changed tht and still no spark. so then i took the stroud off and fort tht th mags were rusty but they were clean so i fort i would go deeper thn i took of the fly wheel off to get to the points when i got to them i stuck a screw driver in them and they didnt spark and runing out of ideas what it could be!!!! NEED HELP
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Honda Engine NO SPARK even at the points   engine - Honda Engine NO SPARK even at the points Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2013, 11:56 am

Do you have a model number for the engine?

are they actaully magneto or CDI on that engine? The only info I could find on a Honda 11hp vertical engine says it has Transistorized magneto igniton.

Usually a magneto engine doesn't have points, since the timing is controlled directly by the magneto location.

Engines with an alternator, use points and a coil, and usually have a battery to energize the coil. My 10 Hp Kohler has this setup. Some engines will run with out a battery but some won't, depending on the type of alternator.

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Honda Engine NO SPARK even at the points   engine - Honda Engine NO SPARK even at the points Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2013, 12:30 pm

From what I can find on that engine, it has an alternator style igniton with a lighting coil. The flywheel has to be installed and spinning to make a spark.

The magnet on the flywheel makes current when it passes the alternator, and charges the battery and runs lights when it passes the lighting coil.

In these systems it can be any one of a number of things that is messed up.

Make sure all wiring is clean and firmly connected.
Check all the grounds for the engine.
Make sure you don't have a shorted wire somewhere.
Make sure that the points aren't shorted to the engine. (this is common, especially on old engines where the insulators have broken down)
The coil and alternator can be tested using a multimeter, and the tests are usually pretty accurate.

If you can find a service manual for it on line it would be greatly helpful.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Cr8zyB0b
Cr8zyB0b

PostSubject: Re: Honda Engine NO SPARK even at the points   engine - Honda Engine NO SPARK even at the points Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2013, 2:28 pm

It is a Honda GV 400 11hp verticle shaft thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
tractorboy567
tractorboy567

PostSubject: Re: Honda Engine NO SPARK even at the points   engine - Honda Engine NO SPARK even at the points Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 4:32 pm

See if any killswitches or safetys are bad or on. the toughest problems can be helped by the littlest things!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Honda Engine NO SPARK even at the points   engine - Honda Engine NO SPARK even at the points Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Honda Engine NO SPARK even at the points
Page 1 of 1