All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

New MTD project

Go down 
+2
Chunk
dangeroustoys56
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Chunk
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

project - New MTD project - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2010, 4:22 am

NEED PICTURES! cheers

Sounds like you've got alot of work done, really cant wait to see it, especially that twin Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2010, 1:27 pm

Got her about 95% done, took her for a ride and she drives great and has LOTS of power. Twisted Evil
It's a 7speed by the way.

Heres a video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f84qJc1ZzJg
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2010, 7:37 pm

Should be pretty fast with the twin - when i lowered mine it handled tons better then stock - the short wall rear tires made it lower as well- about an inch or so- i was doing fast laps around the backyard with mine. I really want to see if that original pulley works better...
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2010, 7:55 am

Just checked it out! Looks and sounds awesome, I really like that colour of the paint.

Needs mud on it now Wink
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2010, 12:23 pm

I never had the chance to get an MTD muddy - i had my white and my dads MTD up north , but those strictly mowed. Never had one to mod out .

Maybe next time it rains ill take the mild mod out .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2010, 12:44 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I never had the chance to get an MTD muddy - i had my white and my dads MTD up north , but those strictly mowed. Never had one to mod out .

Maybe next time it rains ill take the mild mod out .

Yeah can't wait to get mine muddy, i'll probably make a foot throttle first.
I had it out this morning and it did fine but my battery is dead which it always does that but even when i jumped it off of my other mower it still wouldn't crank, it trys but it just doesn't have the power to turn it over. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2010, 3:04 pm

I hate batteries. All mine seem to have died at once. This super cold winter must have destored them, they wont hold charge for long anymore, and I have 4 machines I really need batteries for!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2010, 9:06 pm

I took her for another ride tonight after doing some adjusting and the adjustments i did worked much better, but i was on the side of a hill in my yard and i broke the tierod, the only bad thing about having that big heavy twin is when you have to push it about 200ft up hill back to your shed. Sad

I had it going pretty fast too, i think it's in the close to 30mph range, glad the tierod broke at only 5mph! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2010, 10:12 pm

The gas pedal does make it a little more fun. makes it a little easier to drive too. not to mention how cool it would sound on a twin!
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2010, 6:27 pm

Yeah its a blast - the throttle response is tons crisper as well . My twin always started hard - im not messing around anymore- im going for large car batteries on my tractors.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2010, 7:24 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Yeah its a blast - the throttle response is tons crisper as well . My twin always started hard - im not messing around anymore- im going for large car batteries on my tractors.

The only problem is where to put them at on the mower.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2010, 5:34 am

If theres anyway to do a remote gas tank from the back- put it under the hood - on my MTD ill make a frame hanging off the back of the chassis- ill also add a hitch for hauling on it. On a couple of my MTDs- they hang off the back anyway.

Before i noticed y left the bagger setup on your MTD - i was actually thinking of putting my spare hangar on mine, and a bagger along with a gutted deck ( bolted to the frame) - to make it look 'normal' if i took it for a spin down the street.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2010, 9:59 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
If theres anyway to do a remote gas tank from the back- put it under the hood - on my MTD ill make a frame hanging off the back of the chassis- ill also add a hitch for hauling on it. On a couple of my MTDs- they hang off the back anyway.

Before i noticed y left the bagger setup on your MTD - i was actually thinking of putting my spare hangar on mine, and a bagger along with a gutted deck ( bolted to the frame) - to make it look 'normal' if i took it for a spin down the street.

good idea, i kept the bagger rack on mine cause it makes a good bumper, those MTD fenders bend very easy. lol!
I probably will make a battery holder off the rack though, just make sure it wont get hit
when i hit by my friend on another mower, we play demolition derby some times! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2010, 8:08 pm

Yeah it almost looks factory- it sits behind the bagger rack and against the chassis - battery cables run right down to it. Only problem is its a serious pain to get at.

My task force has a strap holding the battery - i took the strap off the wizard. Yeah im gonna do the deck and bagger for "stealth mode" .....
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2010, 10:43 pm

well i know since i have a welder of my own im going to try to weld up a frame on the rear of my mudder to hold a 5 gal. gas can(so i can go long distance without refueling constantly), a car size battery (because my little battery for the 11hp is having issues turning the 19.5hp engine over, even fully charged, unless the starter is weak but idk. once i get my trans put back together things should pick up, because its so hard to work on a wheel less rider. and im also going to put a hitch on there to pull trailers occasionally , then im going to make a cover piece frame, to be removable and installable with pins threw the metal. I'm going to have to see if i can get this bundle of steel tubing from my grandpa's house, if he doesn't need it cause he had it for years on end.
but nice to see everyone having their own little project, just for me its taking FOREVER!!!!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2010, 8:21 am

Twins always need a bigger battery - the battery cable on my GT6000 actually says "minumum 600 CCA battery required" - its alot of mass to try n turn over . I use an 800 CCA small car battey on my GTII- cranks it over nicely.

Are you hooking the gas can directly into the fuel system? Youll need to run a fuel pump then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2010, 10:01 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Twins always need a bigger battery - the battery cable on my GT6000 actually says "minumum 600 CCA battery required" - its alot of mass to try n turn over . I use an 800 CCA small car battey on my GTII- cranks it over nicely.

Are you hooking the gas can directly into the fuel system? Youll need to run a fuel pump then.

My battery cables will actually get burning hot if i start it more then one time in like 5minutes Exclamation

So if i go putting a car battery in i'm going to beef up the electrical system a bit. Cool
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2010, 5:49 pm

well i wouldn't need to get a fuel pump for as my engine has a fuel pump on it already.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2010, 5:50 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
well i wouldn't need to get a fuel pump for as my engine has a fuel pump on it already.

What kinda engine is it?
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2010, 6:10 pm

its a briggs and stratton, 19.5hp i/c platinum and the fuel pump is right in front of the big carb. I had this one idea, i found this dual barrel carb that i could construct a intake system for it, but thats to much work and it would probably be even more fuel hungry with dual barrel carb.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2010, 1:59 pm

Roboman79 : Get a set of heavy guage battery cables , you might need to get a heavier duty solenoid as well.

I bot a roll of heavy guage battery cable - all i need now is ends and crimp them on somehow- im updating all my tractor's starting systems- also need to wire in diodes on a couple so they can charge the battery .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2010, 3:53 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Roboman79 : Get a set of heavy guage battery cables , you might need to get a heavier duty solenoid as well.

I bot a roll of heavy guage battery cable - all i need now is ends and crimp them on somehow- im updating all my tractor's starting systems- also need to wire in diodes on a couple so they can charge the battery .

But how does the battery not get over charged?
scratch
Yeah i'll update all mine too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2010, 6:02 pm

'Normal' lawntractors only put out so many volts - ive never seen any with any sort of regulator ( other then higher priced tractors) - the wire goes straight off the stator and right to the battery - diode is only there to keep the stator from taking the juice from the battery.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2010, 10:21 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
'Normal' lawntractors only put out so many volts - ive never seen any with any sort of regulator ( other then higher priced tractors) - the wire goes straight off the stator and right to the battery - diode is only there to keep the stator from taking the juice from the battery.

Oh...,ok simple enough!
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2010, 10:53 pm

I know my kohler 10hp has a voltage regulator, i know they used them alot on the older engines, idk if they still use them on the newer ones, but i think they do on like the v twins and such. but the single cylinders just now use a diode.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Updates!!!!   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2010, 8:03 pm

Ok long time to update!

I got everything working good, got my foot throttle all hooked up which took the most time.

Still need to make a good electrical system and put a car battery in it.

But i took her for a ride and man does she fly and handle great with my custom made front end.
I try'd to make a video with my phone but it's not showing up when i put the sd card in my pc.
I will try to make one with my camera one day this week or next. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New MTD project   project - New MTD project - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New MTD project
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next