All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
theswampmachine

Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil?   Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil? Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2013, 8:02 pm

Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil? Mine started
Leaking for no reason so I'm getting a new one next week just wondering what could cause that.
Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil?   Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil? Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2013, 9:20 pm

i had a engine that always blew the crankshaft seal off but i think they just leak after getting old
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil?   Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil? Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2013, 6:12 pm

Wear and tear - old age - motor sits alot - any number of things cause them to wear out.

I bot a MTD for $25 years ago came with a 80's LT parts craftsman , rebuilt MTD deck and a spare parts motor. The motor on the MTD ran, shortly after i noticed it leaked oil all over the place , needed a new lower crank seal.

Spent all of $5 on a new seal and pan gasket, carefully took the pan off - checked things out in the motor , carefully pried out the old seal and reinstalled the new seal ( with a large socket that fit it and tapped it gently in) - had it all back together and back on the tractor in about a 1/2 hr.

Very easy job to do, after the motor is off the tractor.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil?   Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil? Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2013, 6:31 pm

What DT said, plus , running belts too tight can cause excessive wear on the lower crank bearing and seal, causing rapid seal and bearing failure
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
theswampmachine

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil?   Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil? Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2013, 7:47 pm

My belt it tight but isn't that tight I don't think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil?   Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone every have issues with the seal on the crank shaft leaking oil?
Page 1 of 1