All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Having trouble starting a V twin!

Go down 
+3
Chopperhed
Doug
Murray modder
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Having trouble starting a V twin!   twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2013, 12:09 am

Murray modder wrote:
I didnt have any starter fluid in my garage..thought I purchased some last week...Tore my garage apart looking for it. Could I use gas i the cylinder? I've heard of using that method on horizontal engines.
Got any carb cleaner.

Really all you need is a volitile fluid the doesn`t leave a residue.

I`ve seen to many engines damaged by ether.

carb cleaner is a good bet .

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble starting a V twin!   twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2013, 8:21 am

I've used WD40 on engines before and it works like a dream. A little spray into the air intake and if its a carb problem it will start. If it doesn't start its something else. What are the gaps like on the spark plugs and ignition coils? I'm wondering if the gaps are too big and your getting such a weak spark, its not enough to ignite to fuel/air mix.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble starting a V twin!   twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2013, 10:21 am

Sounds like your having the same probolem i had with my v twin.
Look on the carb if it has a fuel solinod take it off and snip the plunger off the end and put it back in
And also put in a manuel fuel cut off swith and it should start up fine.
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble starting a V twin!   twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2013, 12:21 pm

i had to run mine off starter fluid till the fuel pump put anuf fuel in the carb. after that it ran fine
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble starting a V twin!   twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2013, 9:09 pm

@Craftsmankiller: Good way to check if the fuel pump is working is to Pull the fuel hose off the card and put it into a soda can and turn it over. It'll push gas into the can hopefully if it works.

@Truckin42, It has on, model 407777. I saw the parts your talking about, do I cross the wires after I cut them?

@CornishMorgan: If the gaps are big on the plugs, it'll make a bigger spark, when means, bigger explosions. The coils, on the other hand, the farther apart the worse, gives it less chance to get hit by the magnetic field.

@everyone whos given me advice on something to do with a change in physical parts: Nothing major has changed, cept the stator (the block) Under the flywheel blowing out.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble starting a V twin!   twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2013, 9:15 pm

Murray modder wrote:
@

@CornishMorgan: If the gaps are big on the plugs, it'll make a bigger spark, when means, bigger explosions. The coils, on the other hand, the farther apart the worse, gives it less chance to get hit by the magnetic field.

It is always best to go with the largest gap you can get away with, but there is a point where the spark begins to weaken, and even where the spark can't jump the gap
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble starting a V twin!   twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2013, 9:20 pm

These have spark, I took em out and ran em out the cylinder's to be sure.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble starting a V twin!   twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2013, 10:23 pm

OK,

So, You have spark,

You have compression

All you need is fuel. and the correct timing, since timing isn't usually adjustable without serious work, I'd guess that it hasn't changed.

Clean and inspect the fuel system. Top to bottom.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble starting a V twin!   twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2013, 10:48 pm

I can gurantee everything to the fuel pump is good, and timeing is internal correct? That, and I heard beforethat Valve lash could hurt it as well, when both valves are closed, are they suppose to be loose or tight? The carb on a twin is overly comples to me...so many holes...I'll look online for a guide.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble starting a V twin!   twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2013, 5:31 pm

My v-twin did the same thing from the fuel tank to the fuel pump was good so i took the carb apart,still wast the problem
so then i check the fuel solinod and snip the end off and it started up and ran fine.
And if you snip the end off the solinod you can plug the wires back in it wont hurt or do anything.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble starting a V twin!   twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2013, 8:37 pm

So today, I got out and started fiddling with it, Took somebody's advive with spray wd-40 into the cylinder and....BOOM! No change at all, didnt ever seem to want to run....Just to be safe, I cleaned every nook and cranny in the carb as well....Whats the valve lash suppose to be on these things.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble starting a V twin!   twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2013, 9:00 pm

truckin42 wrote:
My v-twin did the same thing from the fuel tank to the fuel pump was good so i took the carb apart,still wast the problem
so then i check the fuel solinod and snip the end off and it started up and ran fine.
And if you snip the end off the solinod you can plug the wires back in it wont hurt or do anything.
i've heard of this a couple times too, its definitley worth a shot. Other than that, all i can suggest is to check whats left of the fuel system, piece by piece.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble starting a V twin!   twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2013, 9:07 pm

What was the boom?

Pour a little gas into the carb, no more than a half a teaspoon full.

Open the throttle all the way, with no choke.

Crank it.

If it fires a few times and quits you have a fuel problem
If it doesn't fire at all make sure you have a new set of plugs and try again. A lot of time a spark plug will spark in open air, but will fail under pressure.

If still no fire, borrow a compression gauge, and make sure it still has some, at least 100psi. Also borrow a timing light and check the timing.

Set the valve clearance to .002" intake and .003 Exhaust.

Try it again.

If still no go,, you got deeper issues.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble starting a V twin!   twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2013, 9:18 pm

Make sure you have fresh new gas throughout then system. If its over 6 months old, it may be syrop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble starting a V twin!   twin - Having trouble starting a V twin! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Having trouble starting a V twin!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2