All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Stuck rear pulleys

Go down 
+2
Chunk
motorhead45102
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2010, 7:46 pm

I have a really bad stuck on pulley on one of my mowers, i normaly can get them off with my puller but i can't and other times i just cut them off but i always mess up the shaft a bit.

Any body have an idea? scratch
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2010, 9:35 pm

well my shaft on my mudder was froze just like yours, but luckily, i had a hydraulic press at my high school, and i asked to use it, and it had a gauge to tell how much pounds of pressure i applied and it took 2,130 pounds of pressure to get it out.
Back to top Go down

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2010, 9:41 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
well my shaft on my mudder was froze just like yours, but luckily, i had a hydraulic press at my high school, and i asked to use it, and it had a gauge to tell how much pounds of pressure i applied and it took 2,130 pounds of pressure to get it out.

WOW, i wonder where i could use of of them!
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2010, 3:34 am

YOU tried heating the pulley up with a blow torch? It'll expand the metal and hopefully free it up!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2010, 11:29 am

Chunk wrote:
YOU tried heating the pulley up with a blow torch? It'll expand the metal and hopefully free it up!

For a minute i did but my torch ran out of gas!
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2010, 2:47 pm

Do the blow torch idea, heat the pulley up until it get cherry red. This expands the metal and loosen the rust. Try to pull the pulley while it is still hot.
Back to top Go down
http://ctraugh.blogspot.com/

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 24th 2010, 4:37 pm

NOT with your finger's! :lol!:
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2010, 3:19 pm

bigbleuboy wrote:
NOT with your finger's! lol!

Unless you dont like your fingers I wouldnt suggest using them.

Take a rid and strike the shaft to break the pulley loose. Or use a puller.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2010, 8:53 pm

i know if your pulley is still in the trans axle and you pull hard enough you will snap the snap ring of and the gear will fall in the tranny and your input shaft will come out, so best to tear down and remove the input shaft, unless you already have.
Back to top Go down

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2010, 8:55 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
i know if your pulley is still in the trans axle and you pull hard enough you will snap the snap ring of and the gear will fall in the tranny and your input shaft will come out, so best to tear down and remove the input shaft, unless you already have.

I got it off by letting sit over night in PB blaster than useing my puller and beating it with a hammer! lol!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2010, 10:39 am

Thats how i got my wheels off my mild mod MTD- PB blaster, a puller and beating em with a hammer...... was a cheep puller anyway, but still works.
Back to top Go down

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2010, 7:26 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Thats how i got my wheels off my mild mod MTD- PB blaster, a puller and beating em with a hammer...... was a cheep puller anyway, but still works.

THats how i got my wheels off too! lol!

Can't beat beating it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2010, 7:34 pm

Only thing we get over hear is PlusGas, its basically PB Blaster. Would like to compare the two though. PlusGas is readily available over hear, and beats any other UK dismantling spray, PB is hard as heck to find over here Mad
Back to top Go down

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2010, 7:44 pm

Chunk wrote:
Only thing we get over hear is PlusGas, its basically PB Blaster. Would like to compare the two though. PlusGas is readily available over hear, and beats any other UK dismantling spray, PB is hard as heck to find over here Mad

If i know shipping wouldn't be to much i would send you a few cans.
Does anyone have a clue what it might cost?
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2010, 1:30 am

Well i calculated shipping cost to international shipping and its not cheap, and its threw usps(united states postal service)
its about 42 bucks paid online, and 44 bucks at a postal office. and shipping is 6-10 business days.
Now ups im not sure, but this is with usps with a medium flat rate box to fit a few cans of pb.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2010, 4:16 am

Ouch, that isnt great! affraid I dont get how they can charge so much for int'l shipping. Doesnt make sense to me.
THanks for the offer though! Appreciate it! Laughing
Back to top Go down

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2010, 1:49 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
Well i calculated shipping cost to international shipping and its not cheap, and its threw usps(united states postal service)
its about 42 bucks paid online, and 44 bucks at a postal office. and shipping is 6-10 business days.
Now ups im not sure, but this is with usps with a medium flat rate box to fit a few cans of pb.

MAn.......... that sucks, if it was 10-20 bucks i would do it but not no 44 bucks! Mad
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2010, 5:39 pm

Has anybody tried acetone and atf. I read somewhere that a mixture of these two can make a penetrating chemical that is better then PB blaster. I don't know I have never tried it.
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2011, 8:32 pm

idk if anyone has tried this but it work amazingly for me. What you do is find i thin tube of metal like rebar or something get one person to put the rebar in the center of the pulley(on the shaft) and tap with a hammer while you pull up on the pulley. it works great
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/noledroByrreK?feature=mhum
canadianromper
canadianromper

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2011, 8:16 pm

my pulley was stuck and i heated it up then used a puller and it came off easyer (pull on it when it is hot)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stuck rear pulleys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stuck rear pulleys   Stuck rear pulleys Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stuck rear pulleys
Page 1 of 1