All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Acer computer help

Go down 
+5
willis923
Thunderdivine
WellThatsSurprising
Lawren Wimberly
matt-man
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
willis923
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Acer computer help - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2014, 1:08 pm

i actually dont mind windows 8. i would rather have 7, no doubt, but windows 8 really isnt that bad
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2014, 3:47 pm

Well my computer came with Vista on it. I downloaded a tool from Microsoft to see if my computer will run 7, and it will. I don't care if it doesn't have paint, word, or office. I just need it to surf the web
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2014, 5:11 pm

i need to do that with my computer
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2014, 5:52 pm

Well my budget is now down to $150. So I think I will just get Win 7 and some more RAM
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2014, 7:58 pm

I would go to Newegg and see what parts you can get for the computer.
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2014, 8:28 pm

Ariens YT11 wrote:
I would go to Newegg and see what parts you can get for the computer.
That's the site I have been searching
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 4:19 pm

Okay, so I'm about ready to order the Windows 7 and more RAM but I have a little bit more cash. Should I also order a better video card, or a sound card? I have a video card in it now to run dual monitors but it will sometimes run slow on the second monitor. I just want a sound card for better sound there is nothing wrong with the on-board sound.
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 4:32 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3SD1920389 I was thinking to get this for and audio card. I can do without a better graphics card so I would rather get the audio card.
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 4:49 pm

In that price range you would be better off with this. What RAM are you getting?
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 4:51 pm

WellThatsSurprising wrote:
In that price range you would be better off with this. What RAM are you getting?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226087 I'm getting two of these. And that sound card doesnt look a whole lot better are you sure it will have better sound?
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 4:55 pm

Honestly, I don't think you'll hear any difference between the on-board audio and a dedicated sound card but if you're that dead set on one you might as well get a reliable brand.
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 5:06 pm

Honestly, I don't think you'll hear any difference between the on-board audio and a dedicated sound card but if you're that dead set on one you might as well get a reliable brand.
I only have $50 to spend on a card right now. So I should just save up and buy a better one?
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 5:11 pm

I think you should save up and put that money towards a better processor.
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 5:14 pm

personally I'd put ALL the money into more mem and a bigger, faster, hard drive. Those two things will improve normal operating speeds the most.next I'd look at a better vid card, and as long as ANY sound comes out of the original card, I'd forget it. A better network card can improve speed and reliability of your internet connection.. I'd put THAT before sound as well.

If you are wanting actual better sound, simply take the output from your existing card and run it through your stereo amp/equalizer... But there are software programs out there that will do that for you... Windows media player for example...
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 5:17 pm

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx Here is my cart right now. What should I change, remove, or add? I have a MAX budget of $200 for everything
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 5:29 pm

Lawren Wimberly wrote:
personally I'd put ALL the money into more mem and a bigger, faster, hard drive. Those two things will improve normal operating speeds the most.next I'd look at a better vid card, and as long as ANY sound comes out of the original card, I'd forget it. A better network card can improve speed and reliability of your internet connection.. I'd put THAT before sound as well.

If you are wanting actual better sound, simply take the output from your existing card and run it through your stereo amp/equalizer... But there are software programs out there that will do that for you... Windows media player for example...

Erm, Lawren... It doesn't quite work that way. Out of all the things you listed the ones that would make the most difference are video card and memory. With a new hard drive you wouldn't see much difference in things other than boot times and large read/writes matt says he's only using it for surfing the web so not much benefit there. That's a negative on the network card too, speed is determined by the ISP and the onboard is at least 10/100 which is plenty of bandwidth. A better video card would take a tad bit more load off the CPU, but for a web browsing rig it isn't really worth it. RAM is the big one here, the less ram, the more windows relies on a thing called the page file which is stored on the hard drive. Think of it like an overflow tank, except it's still trying to use the data in that tank. Your RAM is like a super fast but tiny hard drive that windows throws the files that it accesses most. CPU though is by far the most important though, hence why I said save up.
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 5:30 pm

matt-man wrote:
http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx Here is my cart right now. What should I change, remove, or add? I have a MAX budget of $200 for everything

That doesn't show up for us, just copy and paste the links to the items.
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 5:35 pm

matt-man wrote:

That doesn't show up for us, just copy and paste the links to the items.
It's just Win 7 and the 2 sticks of RAM
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 5:35 pm

Yeah but there are different versions of windows 7.
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 5:37 pm

Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 5:40 pm

I say just get that and the RAM for now, save the rest.
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 5:48 pm

I say just get that and the RAM for now, save the rest.
Should I get more RAM? I'm wanting the max performance and I know I'm asking alot for only $200. But I will more than likely never put a motherboard or CPU in here. I would buy a new computer before I would do that
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 6:19 pm

If your current computer accomplishes what you want to do then no, you shouldn't. It would also be much cheaper to build your own then buy a prebuilt.
Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2014, 2:34 pm

UPDATE: I ordered Windows 7 and 4gb of RAM from Newegg. Parts came in Thursday and installed them right away! I have now had the system running for a few days and I really like it! So next on the list is a new motherboard and CPU.
Back to top Go down
TheStuffz
TheStuffz

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2014, 12:46 pm

Keep your win 7 information handy. If you upgrade motherboard and processor you might need to re-install os part. or windows will lock you out and make you call in for an activation code. happened to me on vista.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Acer computer help   Acer computer help - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Acer computer help
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Off Topic :: Off Topic-
Jump to: