All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Homemade "stuff"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Homemade "stuff" Empty
PostSubject: Homemade "stuff"   Homemade "stuff" Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2010, 10:00 am

Hey, just wondering what kind of homemade stuff you guys have made. For example, I got a free pop up camper trailer from my uncle and stripped the thing down to the frame and made my own flat bed trailer out of it. All I did basically was through some plywood on it and I had to flip the axle under the leaf springs and extend the spring shackles and it sits just about level with my hitch. It will carry light duty stuff like 2 atvs or snowmobiles. (or lawnmowers) Cost about $100.00 Im sure there are thousands of people that have done this but I thought it would be cool to see other peoples because it shows the individuals thought process somewhat.

HERES THE LINK TO ALL THE PICTURES

Oher things I have made are:

Small sandblasting cabinet (made from a large storage tote, plexi glass, and some gloves. It works well on small parts. I have also etched glass with it. Pretty neet. Its hooked up to a 5 gallon bucket full of sand with a syphon fed gun.) cost about $30.00

Working on a welding cart to hold my welder I just bought. (my first welder) I have about %50 of it done so far. Invested so far $0.00

I have a oxygen propane setup that cost me about $140.00. I made a real creative dolly made from a shopping cart.

If anyone is interested in any of this I will post pics. Everyone is welcome to post. Lets see what you have!

Also I was kind of dissapointed to see there is no spell check feature after creating a new post. If there is and I am just blind let me know. Haha. Thanks. Jamie

Last edited by ridindirty on March 8th 2010, 8:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

Homemade "stuff" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade "stuff"   Homemade "stuff" Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2010, 1:03 pm

Hey, I love to save a buck! I've had to build various things like tools and stands for things, It feels good to create something from a pile of scrap. Here are a few pics of some of the more useful things I've made.

First, The engine hoist I made to pull and swap motors out of a couple of honda civics. It worked awsome!

Homemade "stuff" 100_2307

Homemade "stuff" 100_2312

Then, theres the trailer I made for the murray. (you can see it in the backround of the first pic) I built it from the ground up. Axle, spindles everything. I wanted a trailer that could follow the murray anywhere it would go, so it had to be overbuilt. It still needs better tires, but it still works well.
Here it is with a 250lb honda motor on it.

Homemade "stuff" 100_2315

It's still sitting in my garage with a motor on it.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Homemade "stuff" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade "stuff"   Homemade "stuff" Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2010, 3:25 pm

Hommade stuff is cool- a few yeas ago i built my own briggs flywheel puller out of some angle i welded in a U shape- i welded 3 nuts to it, ( large on for the center, two smaller ones for the sides- worked good till i broke the center bolt off in it......

I forgot to mention using a free pressure washer frame i made a cart for my MIG welder- works awsome- even left the clips and stuff on it to hold the leads/cords.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Homemade "stuff" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade "stuff"   Homemade "stuff" Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2010, 2:12 pm

I started making a mobile welding cabinate for my welder too. I made the from, that's as far as Ive gotten. Once the mudder is together I'll finish it. Will have drawers for all my welding suplies etc, and a metal top surface so I can weld on top of it too.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids

Homemade "stuff" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade "stuff"   Homemade "stuff" Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2010, 8:19 pm

I was thinking of making a welding table also. I have this 3.5 foot x 2.5 foot 1/4 plate steel that I would use. I was thinking about burning some holes around 1/4 inch diameter in the plate and making pegs that I could move around and take out to bend solid stock with my torch. The pegs would allow me to position whatever at different points and maybe usefull for welding somehow.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

Homemade "stuff" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade "stuff"   Homemade "stuff" Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2010, 7:12 am

I weld in the dirt, and I usually I start fires... I wish I had a bigger, better workspace.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Homemade "stuff" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade "stuff"   Homemade "stuff" Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2010, 12:09 pm

Well I still seem to set stuff on fire frequently in my garage anyway! Should really clear up oily rags.

That peg idea sounds good! could work pretty well!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Homemade "stuff" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade "stuff"   Homemade "stuff" Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2010, 6:54 pm

I usually weld out on the concrete pad just outside my shed- since its paid for i really dont want to burn it up...... i like the fact i keep both the welder and air compressor right by the door and a electrical outlet, can just plug em in and go.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Homemade "stuff" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade "stuff"   Homemade "stuff" Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2010, 5:37 pm

Dont get me started on electrical outlets! I have a single double socket in my garage. Its not meant for all the stuff I run off of it, really should get someone to install a better system. The welder s constantly tripping the fuse when its at high power too. So I have to get out the garage, often in total darkness, and get to the house to turn it back on. In the summer Im gonna empty the whole garage and get it layed out how I want it, with proper lighting and storage. Maybe even make myself a woodstove out of a 55gal(?) oil drum Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Homemade "stuff" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade "stuff"   Homemade "stuff" Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2010, 7:28 pm

Well- i 'technically ' wired it permenent- the wiring inside is all correct- have plenty of boxes ( for now cause i ran out of wire) - BUT im using a 4 guage extension cord to a dedicated outlet on the house ( all thats on it is the shed) - i almost made it permenent, but wasnt sure if id take that shed off the house or not sometime in the future.

I was tired of using one 4 plug outlet on the far side of the shed and plugging it in constantly ( i still do- just closer to the back door) - so now i have 4 low by the ( standing inside) right side- 2 up high over my one cabnet- 1 where my overhead light plugs in and 4 more on the left ( again standing inside) side of the door- eventually id like to add a 4 plug on the back wall and another 2 plug over the back of the shed ( for another overhead light- on the back wall maybe run an outside box or outside light in the future).Im happy for now .
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Homemade "stuff" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade "stuff"   Homemade "stuff" Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2010, 1:44 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Well- i 'technically ' wired it permenent- the wiring inside is all correct- have plenty of boxes ( for now cause i ran out of wire) - BUT im using a 4 guage extension cord to a dedicated outlet on the house ( all thats on it is the shed) - i almost made it permenent, but wasnt sure if id take that shed off the house or not sometime in the future.

I was tired of using one 4 plug outlet on the far side of the shed and plugging it in constantly ( i still do- just closer to the back door) - so now i have 4 low by the ( standing inside) right side- 2 up high over my one cabnet- 1 where my overhead light plugs in and 4 more on the left ( again standing inside) side of the door- eventually id like to add a 4 plug on the back wall and another 2 plug over the back of the shed ( for another overhead light- on the back wall maybe run an outside box or outside light in the future).Im happy for now .

That'll be more than plenty. Its not that I dont have enough sockets. I could easily wire more myself, I just dont think the feed from the house is up for it. I think it was originally designed for lighting, then had a couple of sockets wired in later. Now Im running 12 sockets (extension cords) from these two, it doesnt like it much! Could be dangerous too. affraid
Back to top Go down

Homemade "stuff" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade "stuff"   Homemade "stuff" Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2010, 3:11 pm

I hope you have insurance.... haha
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Homemade "stuff" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade "stuff"   Homemade "stuff" Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2010, 8:02 pm

Pop helped me wire it up - i originally had a 220 dryer plug in front of my parts shed that was shut off- pop hooked it up for 110 , then we put a watertight box over it - hes used it for thier RV plug in - since it is its own circuit. Normally i dont draw alot of power , cept when im running fans, the welder ...ect ...
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Homemade "stuff" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade "stuff"   Homemade "stuff" Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2010, 7:33 am

ridindirty wrote:
I hope you have insurance.... haha

Ahh! It SHOULD be fine...I hope pale Once I get my lighting wired properly, it will releive the sockets a bit. There's a spare panel in my circuit box anyway, so it wouldnt be hard to run a second line out to the garage, for another couple of sockets, that I'd dedicate to high power things, like the welder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Homemade "stuff" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade "stuff"   Homemade "stuff" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homemade "stuff"
Page 1 of 1