All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.

Go down 
+2
Moose
TokyoDrift99
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TokyoDrift99
TokyoDrift99

Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Empty
PostSubject: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2014, 11:06 pm

My tractor is a Roper made Craftsman GT-18 that my uncle gave to me for free. It has a 18 hp oppy, and the Peerless 633 3 speed with hi/lo so it really has 6 speeds. This thing has always been a piece of crap from the day I got it. I haven't done many mods at all, but I will show them to you guys. It has been completely rewired with brand new connectors and wire, heat shrink tubing on every connection using the key switch. I also replaced the disgusting waterlogged, cracked rotted seat foam with some chair pads from Wal-Mart covered in gorilla tape, I ran out of tape, but you will get the idea. Currently it needs a starter but that has been ordered, so here are a bunch of pictures for you guys.

Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. VKLQENpl

I sanded off the REALY rough rust and painted the rotted out seat pan.
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. MouAPK0l

These are the seat cushions, they were like $7. Way cheaper than a seat.
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. ZTtbu7Al

I took two cushions and covered them in gorilla tape.
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. 5TnAAnzl

I ran out of tape but you get the idea.
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. 2QAtDYFl

Rewired with key switch.
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. 7hfo7LBl

Beefy @ss peerless 633 rear end.
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. XuKpWdxl

The heart of the beast!
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Yzn7bO4l

Back when stuff was built to last. Made in USA!  Very Happy 
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Wbqq2wRl
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2014, 11:38 pm

can never go wrong with the old high lows some sturdy trannys for pulling romping and just having fun Very Happy good luck with it!
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
TokyoDrift99

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2014, 5:15 am

Moose wrote:
can never go wrong with the old high lows some sturdy trannys for pulling romping and just having fun :Dgood luck with it!
You are darn right it is sturdy, i dropped the whole tractor from two feet straight onto the rear end.  Shocked I expected to see gear oil and chunks of aluminum, but it was fine!
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2014, 11:22 am

TokyoDrift99 wrote:
Moose wrote:
can never go wrong with the old high lows some sturdy trannys for pulling romping and just having fun :Dgood luck with it!
You are darn right it is sturdy, i dropped the whole tractor from two feet straight onto the rear end.  Shocked I expected to see gear oil and chunks of aluminum, but it was fine!
Lol yeah I did that and I used to get the 18hp kohler on our last tractor going as fast as itd go and pop wheelies in 3rd high when I was younger, when I was at pugs I challenged TRB to a pull off (which ended up being TRB and Stretch) it didnt end well but in first low even with a split diff she dug in and lifted the tractor right up!
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2014, 5:36 pm

Moose wrote:
TokyoDrift99 wrote:
Moose wrote:
Lol yeah I did that and I used to get the 18hp kohler on our last tractor going as fast as itd go and pop wheelies in 3rd high when I was younger, when I was at pugs I challenged TRB to a pull off (which ended up being TRB and Stretch) it didnt end well but in first low even with a split diff she dug in and lifted the tractor right up!

Do you have footage Moose???
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2014, 6:16 pm

LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
Moose wrote:
TokyoDrift99 wrote:
Moose wrote:

Do you have footage Moose???
Lol junkstar and 3dmachines do but I was to busy watching my tractor wheelie away to get any :p
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
TokyoDrift99

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2014, 7:05 pm

Updates! Me and a couple of friends tore the tractor down to the frame, and we have started to paint it. We are going for a canadian flag theme!! Do you guys think the tractor would look better with white fenders and red stripes. Or red fenders and white stripes? Also I am having some engine trouble. It runs great at WOT (2.5 turns out on mixture screw) however it runs real rough and likes to stall at lower RPM's especially right after you put it in gear. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. OGwEmIQ
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. BeWeI3X
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Bms412l
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2014, 7:47 pm

lookin good!
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2014, 8:44 pm

love the red man good job
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
TokyoDrift99

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2014, 9:27 pm

Thanks guys! Even after wasting a whole can of white on my fenders I am going to paint them red with some white stripes.
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
camomanusa

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2014, 4:14 pm

paint came out really nice!
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
TokyoDrift99

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2014, 9:13 pm

Finally done painting, it didnt come out perfect but I am happy with it. After a couple cans of red and whie, a lot of masking tape, a lot of sanding, and many hours me and my friends got it gone. We even went mudding in a field across from the house, and the turf saver tires did surprisingly well in the mud. This tractor is far from done so expect some new tires and a locked diff in the future. Here are some pictures. Enjoy!

P.S. sorry it is a little dirty, but I had only hosed it off because the fenders were COVERED in mud  Twisted Evil 

Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. PfmGVbO
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. UOZ5ls6
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. SYv3f77
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2014, 10:15 pm

TokyoDrift99 wrote:
Finally done painting,

You need a leaf.

Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Uoz5ls10
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
TokyoDrift99

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2014, 10:22 pm

Yeah I know, I think I am going to put a white leaf on each side panel.
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
camomanusa

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2014, 10:36 pm

that came out nice! Ya you need that leaf
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
TokyoDrift99

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2014, 10:40 pm

camomanusa wrote:
that came out nice! Ya you need that leaf
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
TokyoDrift99

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2014, 5:56 pm

I have the transmission out ready to be locked, and I am actually getting somewhere on with this thing. I got a bike frame for free from school, so I plan to make a front bumper with that. I also have some electrical questions.... I threw away the "diode assembly" thinking it was useless, but for some reason it seems to cook batteries and I need to try to make a new diode thing. I looked in the book and my engine has a "tri circuit" alternator. One wire split in to two, rectified to 5 amps on each side. I'll include a drawing of what I think the whole deal should look like. Are the diodes in proper orientation? What diodes should I get, obviously 5 amps, but what voltage? I think I should try to get 15 volts, because I feel like the alternator outputs more than 12 volts wide open. Thanks.
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. O3VIBUO
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. YBvQxAe
Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. CjlGrW9
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2014, 1:42 pm

hay tokyo drift has you done anymore work to it
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
TokyoDrift99

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2014, 4:12 pm

kawasaki220 wrote:
hay tokyo drift has you done anymore work to it
The Trans is out ready to be locked, but I need to buy a welder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.   Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craftsman GT-18 Utility/Trail Tractor.
Page 1 of 1