All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Transmission idea.

Go down 
+3
redlinemotorsportts
camomanusa
Angchor
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Angchor
Angchor

transmission - Transmission idea. Empty
PostSubject: Transmission idea.   transmission - Transmission idea. Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2014, 10:43 pm

This is not somehting that I am thinking of doing any time soon. (At least not until I run across a free, small square transmission.)

On the MTD type tractors that have a FNR in the rear, and a variable pulley in the middle.

I have seen those little square transmissions on a couple of builds. I think someone even made a winch out of one. And I believe they come in sizes up to at least 6 speeds.

Has anyone ever considered putting one of those little transmissions in place of the vari-drive pulley?
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
camomanusa

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Transmission idea.   transmission - Transmission idea. Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2014, 10:47 pm

The little transmissions are peerless 700's. I could of sworn i heard someone talking bout that idea before.  scratch 
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Transmission idea.   transmission - Transmission idea. Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2014, 10:51 pm

camomanusa wrote:
The little transmissions are peerless 700's. I could of sworn i heard someone talking bout that idea before.  scratch 
I've seen people talk about replacing the FNR with something like a peerless 7 speed, and then using the vari-drive to get more speeds out of it.

But I don't remember, (Could be CRS. Can't Remember Syndrome.), anyone talking about keeping the FNR and replacing the vari with a tiny trans.

I hope someone has actually tried it.

If I could get a donated trans, I would try it myself.
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Transmission idea.   transmission - Transmission idea. Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2014, 11:59 pm

Should have thought some more before posting.

Input = vertical
Output, (axles) = horizontal.
Input for the FNR = vertical.

On the bright side, I now know where to get a 'vertical to horizontal' "adaptor". LOL

But I am not going to put two of them on there, just to replace the vari.

Although Stretch or someone might like the idea of "marrying" two transaxles to make a 'vari-drive' that has the sum of all the speeds of the two, added together.

Cut the axles. Leave one axle from each as a stub. Weld one axle from each, to each other, to 'marry' the two.

Or flip one upside down and turn it, then bolt them together through the axle bolt holes.

Then you can shift each one, separately.

Engine to one pulley. Other pulley to back transaxle.

I'm waiting for someone to make a 'stretch limosine' of a tractor. Use this idea, and put two or three engines on it. Hot tub on the back with a couple ladies in it..........
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Transmission idea.   transmission - Transmission idea. Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2014, 12:09 am

I like the limo thinking  Shocked  but yes, the "square" gearbox's are probably what you are seeing in racing mowers, like on my mini speed mower. i used a gearbox for my winch, but its a foote fnr, less strong, only used it for the forward gears in it anyways, low torque compared to a racing mower trans. So that should help you if you ever need the info.

The vari drive is nice for adjustability, i guess not to much for me, but i was thinking of having a drivetrain like a 700 gearbox, then that runs to a 633, 1200, or 2300 series peerless axle (horizontal imput). But in your case, finding a 5 or 6 speed transaxle to replace the FNR would be cool. got all those speeds, and even the vari drive on top to control it all better. Lawn Mower Mudder on here did it, but i think the tractor has been scrapped. seemed like it worked though.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Transmission idea.   transmission - Transmission idea. Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2014, 12:28 am

The 30x speeds is really not practical. At all.

But yes, it can be done. People have done vari-drive to 5/6 speeds before. A manual to a manual is really not needed because of the gear reductions in each from the input to the final.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Transmission idea.   transmission - Transmission idea. Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2014, 10:31 am

camomanusa wrote:

Yeah, Fearless was thinking about dong that to his Wizard and I was thinking about making one. I never really got enough time to sadly.
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Transmission idea.   transmission - Transmission idea. Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2014, 11:15 am

LMM your right i saw a video fearlessfront posted the video is called ( Updates, Project ideas & new generator) from fearless
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Transmission idea.   transmission - Transmission idea. Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2014, 12:29 pm

Ok boys see if all this makes since. If you put an axel to an input it will make it real slow becaus of the gear reduction of the first case. The input spins much faster the make the trans have alot of tourqe with a small engine. So if you put 2 together you get a double low. I thought a bout puting a vari-drive in my mower only as a high-low with my 820 to make it slow for offroad and fast for trail riding. Iv also been kicking around an idea with a peerless 930 and two FNRs. Stretch speed ip a 930 for one of his tracter and i thought of doing the same thing and pitting the axel to from speed up 930 to FNR input for a 4x4 articulated tracter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transmission idea.   transmission - Transmission idea. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transmission idea.
Page 1 of 1