I bought this for $90 off my supervisor at work cause someone had brought it in, having sat outside for a year with no hood, and no air cleaner/cover. Engine was full of water. They thought it was a hopeless case and planned to hang onto it for parts since the owner didn't want a jenk tractor back that he PAID $32 to have picked up. No parts were missing from it other than the deck chute flap, but whatever lol.
I got it as a complete unit, and had to remove the deck to cram it into the tiny tacoma I hauled it with. I had already drained the water from the cylinder and crankcase. Here's the first photos I took of it before getting it running:
Before a good 3200psi pressure wash...
After a carb cleaning and some switch bridging, went for a rip in the woods across the road:
Took it home, and started tearing it apart for a re wire, since I got tired of the safety switches and all that nonsense.. Heres an MTD with no rear fender/footrests:
And here we have the venerable VSP belt system... Notice how lose the rear belt is because it's worn. Tensioner was all the way out. It slipped bad in every 'gear' but 5th/6th
After about 12 beers [and removal of safety switches and Reverse Mow Safety stuff wiring:
So after a few days, had it to camp with the deck on it, cut a bunch of grass [CUTS AWESOME
], then brought it home, ripped the deck off and went for a burn in the woods again
With the new belt it will go anywhere
Still stock slow though :/
Let me know what you all think
I've figured out how to make belt changing easier, since the giant trans pulley butts up with the frame, if I shrink the rear pulley [more speed
] it'll be easier to change cause it wont be right near the frame.