All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Have you ever wanted to build a tractor?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

Have you ever wanted to build a tractor? Empty
PostSubject: Have you ever wanted to build a tractor?   Have you ever wanted to build a tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2015, 8:46 pm

I have thought about this forever. Take a lawn tractor and build a hydraulic system for front loader and rear 3 point hitch. Then use a 3 way T gearbox for a pto for homemade attachments. Although you would have to use a horizontal shaft engine to simplify some engineering.
Use a double belt pulley set as a clutch from engine to driveshaft. Use a driveshaft to go to the T gearbox to get power to rear end and pto. You could mount the gearbox up and down to use a 3 speed or more gearbox then to a solid shaft axle or use the factory trans with a shaft to connect the 2. Then you could use the other end as the pto. Use pillow block bearings for the driveshaft.
Have you ever wanted to build a tractor? P20%20feather
Have you ever wanted to build a tractor? 14396
Have you ever wanted to build a tractor? Lg_975d8d_v%20belt%20pulley
Have you ever wanted to build a tractor? 1-7+16++PILLOW+BLOCK+BEARING+W+LOCK+COLLAR_L
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wanted to build a tractor?   Have you ever wanted to build a tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2015, 9:36 pm

I suppose it could be done. I've seen factory bucket loader setups and stuff though too, I think a few manufactuers made them. I'm pretty sure case, maybe sears or john deere. Someone else would know better than me. Pretty neat right angle drive. I checked on mfgsupply.com, Cool peerless 700 knock-offs. "Pro-gear" transmissions. Except they are $250 and real peerless 700's race preped can be had for $200. Not that that has anything to do with your idea...But yeah, would be neat to make up your own accessorys. Then you can make them whatever size you want. Nice If you wanted a clean look. Most factory stuff is overly heavy looking for the size of the tractor.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wanted to build a tractor?   Have you ever wanted to build a tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2015, 11:07 pm

Ah yes hydraulics my advice for building with hydraulics: leave nothing stock and over build the bajesus out of everything. Peerless 700 isn't going to be to effective for a front loader just due to its size, most of your factory front loader units have a pretty heavy transmission (transaxle whatever) :p to help offset the load you pick up. Front ends are usually 1" spindles and if your lucky they have a roller bearing between the spindle and the axle allowing easier steering with a load.

All that being said it is usually easier to buy a built loader than building one just due to the limitations of most builds. Lots of old tractors can be had through junkyards or farmers for cheap. As always I suggest case because, perfection.
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wanted to build a tractor?   Have you ever wanted to build a tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2015, 1:41 am

mr.modified wrote:
I suppose it could be done. I've seen factory bucket loader setups and stuff though too, I think a few manufactuers made them. I'm pretty sure case, maybe sears or john deere. Someone else would know better than me. Pretty neat right angle drive. I checked on mfgsupply.com, Cool peerless 700 knock-offs. "Pro-gear" transmissions. Except they are $250 and real peerless 700's race preped can be had for $200. Not that that has anything to do with your idea...But yeah, would be neat to make up your own accessorys. Then you can make them whatever size you want. Nice If you wanted a clean look. Most factory stuff is overly heavy looking for the size of the tractor.
I have made a brush cutter I could raise or lower for my craftsman. I would still be using it, but the rings in the old engine finaly had it. Had to use a push mower engine since the craftsman doesn't have a pto yet. I have a youtube video of it. I have been thinking about fixing it back to usable condition and making a build thread of it.

Last edited by willysjeepmb on February 17th 2015, 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wanted to build a tractor?   Have you ever wanted to build a tractor? Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2015, 2:13 am

Moose wrote:
Ah yes hydraulics my advice for building with hydraulics: leave nothing stock and over build the bajesus out of everything. Peerless 700 isn't going to be to effective for a front loader just due to its size, most of your factory front loader units have a pretty heavy transmission (transaxle whatever) :p to help offset the load you pick up. Front ends are usually 1" spindles and if your lucky they have a roller bearing between the spindle and the axle allowing easier steering with a load.

All that being said it is usually easier to buy a built loader than building one just due to the limitations of most builds. Lots of old tractors can be had through junkyards or farmers for cheap. As always I suggest case because, perfection.

It would be cheaper to buy one already made. I was thinking of a 5 gallon bucket capacity loader, but I just threw that out there. If I had the money to spare to build one, I would probly leave out the front loader. The hydraulics would just be simple power steering parts with a bought reservoir. The idea was to be limited to no more than 100-150 pounds for the front or back since it is just a lawn mower/lawn tractor. Peerless 700 was just a thought since I don't know much about them. Yea, a real tractor would be better, but this is just kind of a mess around with play toy idea. I have a farmall h to do actual work with, but I have to do a sleeve and rings job to it. I have wanted to find a case, but there are rarely any for sale around my area.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm coming off mean. I should have been more descriptive about it, but I was just typing on the fly.
You do have some good points there too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wanted to build a tractor?   Have you ever wanted to build a tractor? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Have you ever wanted to build a tractor?
Page 1 of 1