All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

90's Craftsman "Loki"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Murray modder
Murray modder

90's Craftsman "Loki" Empty
PostSubject: 90's Craftsman "Loki"   90's Craftsman "Loki" Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2015, 9:40 pm

Here's one of my most on and off again builds, Thing has so much custom on it, new shift linkage, clutch linkage, new rear axle, engine, drivetrain, heck, I've even butchered the hood!
Figure pictures would do more justice.
I never actually took pictures of it in the building stage, just pictures sent to my friends WHILE I was building it, so if they're a bit out of order, I'm sorry. But I'm trying to get them right.

90's Craftsman "Loki" 15451810
This is the mower the engine came out of,

90's Craftsman "Loki" 16225910
Got it ripped out.

90's Craftsman "Loki" 13794610
Putting a front bumper on it, found some kinda old crane body thing, I honeslt had no idea what it was used for but the material had a thick wall!

90's Craftsman "Loki" 10003610
Really liked Fearless' idea of the side bars, not only to hold onto, but to protect some of the sheetmetal.

90's Craftsman "Loki" 9820_610
Got that engine in.

90's Craftsman "Loki" 10138610
And then I ran into this issue (it was solve by cutting a hood scoop into the front to clear the bulge of the air filter housing)

90's Craftsman "Loki" 19123010
I extended the spindle on both sides to accomadate wider tires if I ever wanted to run side pipes.

90's Craftsman "Loki" 16235010
Like these.

90's Craftsman "Loki" 10484710
I actually cut off the original fender lips, and welded on flares. you can *kinda* see them in this picture.

90's Craftsman "Loki" 11043010
This is the most recent picture (Today actually) I took it out in our pond and it did not great, but not terrible, The updated clutch linkage has its bugs, and the belt tensioner I put on it didn't stand up to well. Needs more tweaking driveline wise in general.
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 90's Craftsman "Loki"   90's Craftsman "Loki" Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2015, 9:55 pm

that is cool, by the way I woulld have put the the bumper forward more so the bigger tires could turn more, or is there more room than I can see?
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 90's Craftsman "Loki"   90's Craftsman "Loki" Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2015, 9:58 pm

Im always worried about seeing stamped craftsman front ends but thanks goodness you modded yours. and fit front tires correctly! tongue
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: 90's Craftsman "Loki"   90's Craftsman "Loki" Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2015, 9:59 pm

Ariens YT11 wrote:
that is cool, by the way I woulld have put the the bumper forward more so the bigger tires could turn more, or is there more room than I can see?
The wide tires that are on it in most of the pictures I *think* are 22 tall and 10 wide, and the have enough room to turn all the way around. I have a smaller set on there right now just to go around the yard on. This build was actually started before my Trike, so the wide tires went to that.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: 90's Craftsman "Loki"   90's Craftsman "Loki" Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2015, 10:02 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
Im always worried about seeing stamped craftsman front ends but thanks goodness you modded yours. and fit front tires correctly! tongue
I know the feels there man. I used one of the stamped frames for a speed build and hit a tree with it. Didn't go over well at all.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: 90's Craftsman "Loki"   90's Craftsman "Loki" Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2015, 9:03 pm

Another day...More work!

First, I took more pictures of how it was on the underside before I started tweaking it.

90's Craftsman "Loki" 11034210

This is the underside of the tractor, you can vaguely see the reinforcement bar in the far back right above the transaxle pulley.

90's Craftsman "Loki" 11056510
Here's a really decent shot on how the ***** linkage got ran, it really needs to be remade into a single piece, and adjusted correctly.
This photo also doubles in showing the idle pulley I has put on in a hurry, that will get some attention later.

90's Craftsman "Loki" 10402810
Here you can see I updated the steering joints with Heim joints, I popped the original ball joint.

90's Craftsman "Loki" 11044510
This is the biggest issue I'm having. it my clutch linkage. it runs up from the line to a bicycle hand brake on the left side of the tractor. It worked reasonably well until the noodle I supporting it going through the frame straightened out, and got pulled through the stopper for it.

90's Craftsman "Loki" 11041010
I grinded off the lips around where the idler pulley sits, and made it so it could possibly swivel, (It was also resting on the lip for the steering side)

90's Craftsman "Loki" 11050310
Made this do-hickie to pull the idle back and forth, giving it on the go adjustment. (sorry for the bad resolution.)

I started to weld a rod that would go to that bolt sticking out to the outside of the frame, and the Welder wouldn't cooperate. Somehow I managed to melt the welding tip inside the nozzle. the tip got so deformed that I can't really use the nozzle anymore, so no welding for awhile.

90's Craftsman "Loki" 11040810
Redid the original design for the cable stop, did away with the noodle and stopper and just put in a wire stop.

90's Craftsman "Loki" 11037410
Remounted the clutch up of the shifter rally style.

When I got everything all bolted together on the clutch, the thing was WAY too tight to open the clutch by hand. I ended up calling it quits.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 90's Craftsman "Loki"   90's Craftsman "Loki" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

90's Craftsman "Loki"
Page 1 of 1