All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

New to the forum have a few simple questions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Alaskan Craftsman
Alaskan Craftsman

New to the forum have a few simple questions Empty
PostSubject: New to the forum have a few simple questions   New to the forum have a few simple questions Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2015, 7:55 am

so i have what i can figure to be a 1992 ish gt6000 with the 3 speed hi/low gear box and the kohler magnum 18.

so far all ive done to it was installed a foot throttle in place of the stock one ( no engine mods) and mounted up some 25x10x12 dunlop atv tires. a lot more to come but here are my questions...

what is the actual year
what axle do I have ( my best guess is a 633)
and maybe some first things to mod ie pulley swaps, lift, front tires etc
any help would be fantastic and im glad to be aboard. thanks

New to the forum have a few simple questions KIMG0010
New to the forum have a few simple questions KIMG0011
New to the forum have a few simple questions KIMG0009
New to the forum have a few simple questions KIMG0008
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum have a few simple questions   New to the forum have a few simple questions Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2015, 10:03 am

Depends on what yoy want to do with it.

If for offroad use.

I would lock the trans axle and put a bigger pulley on the engine for starters.

Upgrade front tires to a 18 or 20 inch atv tire.

Remove wheel wieghts
Back to top Go down
Alaskan Craftsman
Alaskan Craftsman

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum have a few simple questions   New to the forum have a few simple questions Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2015, 10:05 am

I live in Alaska lol and I was plowing with it so yeah the wheel weights are coming off
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum have a few simple questions   New to the forum have a few simple questions Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2015, 10:47 am

It looks like from the mod# it is a 1995. the 4th and 5th numbers after the 917. are the year on craftsmans. The transaxle is a 633a sears, good and strong for plowing/pulling/anything off road. You can lift the front axle by unbolting the plate the axle bolts to that's bolted to the frame. Then cut 2.5" spacers and get longer bolts to re-attach the plate with the spacers in between it and the frame. I did it on my craftsman gt and it works really well. I have 21" front tires on mine and I had to lift it so the tires didn't rub on the hood. I put a set of craftsman seat springs in between the front axle and the plate, to keep it from rolling over as easy on side hills. I have yet to pulley swap it, but I am gathering info on that right now. these have a tapered input shaft, it goes from 1/2" to 5/8", so you have to cut the center out of the stock pulley and weld it to a smaller one.

New to the forum have a few simple questions 01910

New to the forum have a few simple questions 02410
Back to top Go down
Alaskan Craftsman
Alaskan Craftsman

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum have a few simple questions   New to the forum have a few simple questions Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2015, 4:38 pm

hey thanks. i dont know why i thought it was a 1991-92. and I am definitely going to look into the front lift i noticed the tire clearance first off, so that helps a lot. thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum have a few simple questions   New to the forum have a few simple questions Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2015, 5:26 pm

offroadohio wrote:
Depends on what yoy want to do with it.

If for offroad use.

I would lock the trans axle and put a bigger pulley on the engine for starters.

Upgrade front tires to a 18 or 20 inch atv tire.

Remove wheel wieghts
^^ x2

also, if your switching it from plow tractor to strictly offroad, id remove the front plow brackets and deck components.
Back to top Go down
Alaskan Craftsman
Alaskan Craftsman

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum have a few simple questions   New to the forum have a few simple questions Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2015, 5:33 pm

also, if your switching it from plow tractor to strictly offroad, id remove the front plow brackets and deck components. [/quote]

sounds good, the 18m engine runs incredible and the stock exhaust is a decent tone so im just going to leave it alone for now, i have an old Montgomery snowblower that i may steel the auger gearbox from for a steering upgrade. i kind of want to go faster around 15mph tops and still have good low end torque. i was told to swap the engine pulley. my engine is horizontal with two output shafts( one for drive axle and one for PTO)
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum have a few simple questions   New to the forum have a few simple questions Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2015, 8:14 pm

I would not change the steering box. If it has the same one as mine, it hasn't slipped and they are really heavy duty. I think the gears on mine are 9/16" thick. If it slips, replace the bushings in it and it should be fine. I am turning 21" tires and I have hit rocks, stumps, and other obstacles and have not had an issue with the steering box. I would recommend welding another 3/8" rod on the back of the stock tie rods, since I hit the bottom of a hill once with mine and it bent both rods into a V shape, and my front wheels were so messed up I couldn't turn it at all. they need some extra support, but its easier to do it before the bend, cause I had a heck of a time getting them straight again.
Back to top Go down
Alaskan Craftsman
Alaskan Craftsman

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum have a few simple questions   New to the forum have a few simple questions Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2015, 8:23 pm

good to know about the steering box, I couldn't figure out if it was the crappy style that always strips out or not. I Really love this tractor, just a total beast.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum have a few simple questions   New to the forum have a few simple questions Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2015, 9:17 pm

yeah the lawn tractors have the junk box, ive stripped 4 of them, but the GT boxes are awesome.
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum have a few simple questions   New to the forum have a few simple questions Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2015, 7:11 am

I run a 6 inch julion the engine in a stock pulley on a transaxle on my old Sears suburban and I'm getting right around 20 miles per hour.
Back to top Go down
Alaskan Craftsman
Alaskan Craftsman

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum have a few simple questions   New to the forum have a few simple questions Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2015, 7:24 am

6 inch julion? Now im lost haha.
Back to top Go down
Backroadbomber

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum have a few simple questions   New to the forum have a few simple questions Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2015, 2:51 pm

I think he meant "pulley on" lol dang autocorrect....
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum have a few simple questions   New to the forum have a few simple questions Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2015, 3:14 pm

Yes. My smart phone is only so smart
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum have a few simple questions   New to the forum have a few simple questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to the forum have a few simple questions
Page 1 of 1