All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Duranate

Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Empty
PostSubject: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2011, 10:18 pm

I'd love to see what people have come up with. If you wanted or needed something but the cost was unreasonable so you built it yourself, I'd love to see it!

could be specalty tools like a puller, or anything! The more pictures the better!

I have made a few things and plan to build a lift table in the next week or so.

Back to top Go down
Duranate

Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2011, 10:20 pm

darnit!!! i meant to post this in "" off topic builds"" drunken

can somone please move this thread there? sorry everybody
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2011, 11:35 pm

there ya are bud! And good idea for a topic! Ive got a couple things ive built in the past years and il get some pics.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
Duranate

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 22nd 2011, 6:49 pm

sweet, thanks, Cool

here is a crappy picture of a lift stand i built a looong time ago. It has a hand winch at the top and about 5.5' of lift. It is shown here ( the orange thing) holding up my new project. This stand is unbelievably handy. I have used it from mower, snowmobile, motorcycle work to pulling out fence posts set in concrete. It;s not the best design and the welding is not very good but this thing has been used soooo many times.

i wound up lifting things and trying to set them on saw horses or boxes to elevate both ends of say a riding lawn mower. This leads me to my next project coming up soon.

But here is a picture of the most used, best idea i have ever had!

Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) 9b10
Back to top Go down
Duranate

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 22nd 2011, 8:14 pm

Ok.

So here is a newest project i'm still in the thinking process, just getting started cutting/welding. Like i sated before I really want a lift table. It takes all the fun out of working on things when i have to bend and hunch over my project. If i can work comfortably, i tend to do a much better/ more thorough job on whatever i'm working on. I want to be able to lift my tank sportsman, motorcycle, whatever. I can drag a push mower or snowblower onto this thing and lift it up to work comfortably.

here is what i have been drooling over for the last several years. It's a table from Harbor freight. $499.00 plus tax and shipping. ( i just can't do that much)

Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Image_10

So here is what i have. I realised i can reuse two frames that i had welded together for a snowmobile ramp for the back of my truck. the ramp ( going to be the table) is a few inches skinnier than the base. I need to try to figure out the best way to get6 this done. I cut and welded the legs but i had to stop and thi9nk about this a bit before i get to far. I hate drilling holes so i'm trying to use some old deck brackets and pins as pivots. i know it's going to allow some wiggle while the table is up but like i said i hate drilling holes.

I ordered a 110V winch from harbor freight and it should be here in 5 days. the winch is going to pull the table up. This thing is going to take up alot of garage space but I have lots of projects i have been putting off until i get this table done so i believe i'll use it all the time! here are the pictures i have so far.
Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) 9b11

Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) 9710

Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) 9810
Back to top Go down
Duranate

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2011, 8:04 pm

I worked on my lift table all stinking day today. I'm so frustrated. Twisted Evil The further along i get the more i'm getting burnt from not squaring or measuring anything. I know it's my own fault but i'm just a hack. my " geometry" won't allow the lift to start the upward movement. I need to redesign the rear legs. I have absolutely no room to work, mosquitoes biting me..... No I'm done for the night. I have a few pictures from today.

Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Photo_10

I need to raise the rear of the rear legs to help the table get started ( the start angle ), then shorten the legs to account for the mount being raised. The table is wobbly, but it should work. The legs really should be cross-braced to eliminate sway but things are so out of square, i can't do it. it is what it is i guess.

next pic.

Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Photo_11
Back to top Go down
Duranate

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2011, 12:02 am

Ok boys. I was hoping to make my last post on this be the one that showed it finished and working like a champ but..... nuuuu.

I had to scrap the previous pivot design on top of the lift legs for several reasons. One, it was too wobbly, two, it bound, three i didn't leave enough room for the clevis pin and every time it lowered, it broke them. and three and the most important, i needed to increase the start angle on the legs. I really learned a lesson here guys. I changed it and i hope to god i have enough angle now but we will see. if you build one of these, i wouldn't do it the way i did, lol. I have alot of better ideas now but it's too late for me.

so i raised the rear of the legs to assist the start angle ( the higher the better). I drilled holes ( crooked as a sin) and i hope it works now. all these holes should be drilled in a drill press and the legs should be cross braced but whatever.

I'm waiting for my 110v winch from harbor freight ( must be on the slow boat from Taiwan) . i'll mount that and test it out. a guy should really use angle iron for the base so that the front of the legs can be mounted as low as possible to keep the drive - on height as low as possible. i'm hoping this thing works, i have alot of time ( most time spent starring and cursing) into this thing. some updated pics here>

a pic of the new leg hook-up
Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Wp_00010

here is a pic of the mast for the winch
Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Wp_00011

and here is a pic of the table so far
Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Photo_12

in the corner you can see the chair i sit in and grimice and curse this thing. i swear, it better work, lol. i cleaned the garage too, it looks nice. I love you

yea, you have got to have your legs started in the upward motion ( or radius) other wise you pull the front and it binds and won't lift. so, when the lift is all the way down as low as it's going to go, the legs need ti be raised in the back, started on the way up... does this make any sence whatsoever? lol.

but if a guy used angle iron skids, mounted the front of the legs as looow as possible, started the rear of the legs several inches higher, that would be a mojor improvement. then build the legs square and cross brace them.

i'm very concerned about the intial binding before the table starts to come up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: could you ad some blocks to keep it from going down flat so the legs dont "cam over" ?   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2011, 9:13 am

most have a little tail flap on them (short ramps) any way
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2011, 11:08 am

Very nice build man!!! nice idea!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
Duranate

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2011, 7:01 pm

I'm uploading a video now ( it says 58 minutes to upload, wtf). The table works kinda. i need to do several things before it really should be used. I need to weld washers around all the leg holes to beef up the metal, i need bigger diameter bolts in the rear. The winch needs more support and finish installing it better. plywood needs to be fastened, etc etc etc etc. as far as a ramp, the riding mower with deck needs such a low approach that i guess i'll drag out my long ramps to load it but i do want to fab up some sort of flap ramp deal for everything else.

I'm calling it done for now. i just don't really have any patience anymore. I used to absolutly love tinkering and fabricating. I'm just getting very lazy i guess. In this thread, I was hopping to see some other peoples homemade stuff to reignight my hobby so if you have some stuff please post it.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)    Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2011, 7:17 pm

could just do some thing like this. I have pulled 1200 lb non runners up with a little muscle. just need some ramps.
might modify the boards to rails to get more room in the middle. just the right height to work on the low stuff with an office chair

Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Photo_080809_001
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Homemade Thread    Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2011, 7:29 pm

I know the perspective is kinda crappy. dims are 23h 60w 77 l. just some homade scaffolding with tread plates on it.. but it works
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Homemade Thread    Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2011, 7:39 pm

if you are playing guess the mower... its a stretched and lowered '78 monkey wards, transverse mounted 16hp with a 5 speed
Back to top Go down
Duranate

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2011, 8:32 pm

yea thats sweet rat. good idea with the scaffold too. it's so nice to get things up a little bit to be comfortable!

here is the video of my " lift table" lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnmmDmjrtTo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread    Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2011, 8:44 pm

a winch on a fixed table would do the same thing. not trying to a jackass.... but KISS ,engineer lingo. easier to pull it up the ramp than raise the table. what if the lift fails and you have your legs under it?
Back to top Go down
Duranate

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2011, 9:02 pm

rat88 wrote:
a winch on a fixed table would do the same thing. not trying to a jackass.... but KISS ,engineer lingo. easier to pull it up the ramp than raise the table. what if the lift fails and you have your legs under it?

if something with the lift fails... well, down she goes. drunken

yea, this was a learning experience for sure! i would do it very different if i were to start from scratch.

I can modify this thing and improve on it dramatically. I could make a safety leg to support the table if there were a failure of the winch or cable. but if a leg or critical weld broke, it would fall.

I plan to do most if not all my work with the table up and a large pin in place. I had one bolt holding the winch on and all the leg bolts were lose and it worked, i also lifted that pig wheeler to just to try to break it right off the bat.

like i said, i have lots of ideas how to make it work better, it's just a matter of doing it. Sleep

I just bought a hobart 187, i see you have a hobart. I'm still finding how to make mine work the best. The thing has plenty of power thats for sure but it's a very nice unit i feel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread    Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2011, 9:57 pm

good welder, you'll like it, especially if you have a walmart welder now. plug it into a 30 amp outlet and it will work better
Back to top Go down
hogback

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2011, 9:13 pm

the welder i have right now is a hobart 125 EZ it is great for projects it is flux cor which is all you really need and you dont have to mess around with settings you just chose how thick of metal you are using
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2012, 12:10 am

rat88 wrote:
could just do some thing like this. I have pulled 1200 lb non runners up with a little muscle. just need some ramps.
might modify the boards to rails to get more room in the middle. just the right height to work on the low stuff with an office chair

Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Photo_080809_001
can you do like a run down telling what you did on this rat rod lol id like a closer look at it
Back to top Go down
fetters18
fetters18

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2012, 3:22 pm

how do u get the lift to go up and down and can u put better pics
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)   Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homemade Thread ( if it cost to much so you made it yourself, please show it off here!)
Page 1 of 1