All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

5 Speed Gokart Build

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheGreenHornet
TheGreenHornet

2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

5 Speed Gokart Build Empty
PostSubject: 5 Speed Gokart Build   5 Speed Gokart Build Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2018, 8:09 am

Hey guys, I came up with another project. This one I WILL finish, because I now have the ability to cut and weld at home, which makes projects significantly easier.

So, I have an old gokart frame. Too nice to haul to scrap, but the engine blew a while back and I've been searching for a use for it ever since. Steering is tight, good tires, roll cage, very solid overall.

The other day, CQ gave me a peerless 900 5 speed for my dynamark project. I ended up not using it, but then i started eyeing the gokart frame. Did a few quick measurements, and realized I could cut out the live axle/casing/bearings, stow that away for use on some project on down the road, and slap that tranny up in there. The tranny will be locked, and to mount it, I will cut some pieces of sign post to both cover the area of the frame cut out and overlap the pipe on the frame about 3 to 4 inches on both sides, top and bottom. I will be using a signpost will pre drilled holes, ive got tonnes laying around. I hope you guys can picture what i'm trying to describe lol!

I would do an inline shifter to the right side of the driver, for the 5 speed. A 3rd pedal would also be included, to keep the clutch and brake separate. But, When you hit the brake, there will be a bar or tab to carry the clutch pedal with it, so you aren't trying to brake with the clutch still engaged.

The engine would be a briggs quantum 4.5hp off of my pressure washer, which died Monday. That engine is the whole reason this project came around. I'm Always looking for a good use for pushmower engines.

It would be a belt drive, which simplifies things. The shifter mechanism will come from a Troy-bilt mower I have laying around.

Let me know what you guys think about it, or if there are suggestions to solidify anything
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Veteran Member
MatthewD
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 5 Speed Gokart Build   5 Speed Gokart Build Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2018, 9:46 am

Sounds like a good plan! Got any pics? I love those Quantum engines, they go on forever. The good thing about using an engine off a pressure washer rather than a push mower is that push mower engines (esp. newer ones) have aluminium flywheels and don't run very well without the blade, which acts as a flywheel.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 5 Speed Gokart Build   5 Speed Gokart Build Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2018, 4:42 pm

Sounds like a good plan and I’d like to see pics too.

Sign posts seem strong enough to work with but I wouldn’t use a sign to mount anything. I’d use it for a fender or floorpan.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: 5 Speed Gokart Build   5 Speed Gokart Build Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2018, 5:12 pm

Aw shoot. I forgot about the flywheel thing. We fully intend on going through a lot of engines, so I guess I’ll have to pull some flywheels at least from pressure washers. This is also a good base to test some other pushmower engines longevity and power
Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
TheGreenHornet

2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 5 Speed Gokart Build   5 Speed Gokart Build Icon_minitimeJune 21st 2018, 11:04 am

sign posts are more than strong enough to work with. My grandpa used to work for the highway department, so he has a lot of sign posts that are 1/8 inch thick steel. When you put two pieces together around existing solid pipe, I think that makes for a pretty solid mounting point. I will be able to get you guys pictures this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5 Speed Gokart Build   5 Speed Gokart Build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5 Speed Gokart Build
Page 1 of 1