All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

SDR radio and scanning

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fatboy_dan
fatboy_dan

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

SDR radio and scanning Empty
PostSubject: SDR radio and scanning   SDR radio and scanning Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2020, 2:50 am

Within the past year (little longer now that I think of it) I've been into using software defined radios or SDR dongles as more commonly named for police scanning, ADS-B aircraft tracking, and now getting into weather radar/baloon/satellite information gathering using the same units and different antennae. I have a small dedicated ADS-B antenna that filters out all the other frequencies, a set of 'rabbit ear' antennae for scanning while away from my home, and even a couple T style dipoles for vehicles.

It can be a cheap hobby, you can get a compatible dongle for like 8-20 bucks... far cheaper than a dedicated scanner with WAY more capabilities. FM/AM tuning, ALL police bands (except encrypted but INCLUDING trunking if not encrypted), weather, military, satellite, airport/aircraft frequencies with a very wide tuning range. Later today I'll show pics of the stuff I currently use, which by this weekend will have a new antenna rig for even more abilities
Back to top Go down
Koltin
Koltin

PostSubject: Re: SDR radio and scanning   SDR radio and scanning Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2020, 3:42 pm

I liked exploring the SW band with my SDR, it was pretty fun. Might actually get into it again.
Back to top Go down
fatboy_dan
fatboy_dan

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: SDR radio and scanning   SDR radio and scanning Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2020, 7:43 pm

Koltin wrote:
I liked exploring the SW band with my SDR, it was pretty fun. Might actually get into it again.

I don't have my upconverter yet, looking at the 'ham-it-up plus'. was thinking of a cheaper one but I know full well one gets what they pay for Smile my tram 1410 isn't fully capable of SW but I'm not above adding a second antenna somewhere here on the property for it. I hear long wire is pretty good. Downside to my location is there's a ton of RFI and EMI from the dam and power stations. I'd have to run a pretty wicked filter rig...
Back to top Go down
Koltin
Koltin

PostSubject: Re: SDR radio and scanning   SDR radio and scanning Icon_minitimeFebruary 3rd 2020, 7:05 am

There is interference where I live, but finding and eliminating it should help.
Back to top Go down
fatboy_dan
fatboy_dan

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: SDR radio and scanning   SDR radio and scanning Icon_minitimeFebruary 17th 2020, 4:21 pm

Koltin wrote:
There is interference where I live, but finding and eliminating it should help.

I don't have much of a choice given the proximity to the dam, which has 3 of the largest hydro power plants anywhere in the world (and one of if not the largest in the US) . However, I did order an FM block filter and an AM block filter to experiment with. The AM block alone cuts my noise floor by +/- 25db and upwards of 40db depending on frequency I'm toying with. Definitely going to need it now as my upconverter arrives tomorrow. I also picked up a few portable antenna array for messing around while mobile. I also bought an e4000 based dongle to add to my collection of r820t/t2 dongles. I guess it's far more sensitive in the areas I'll need for the upconverter though it alone can't reach them unlike the 820 based ones. If I wasn't addicted to tractors I'd blow what remains of my tax return on a hackRF or sdr-uno or something I can make a 'base station' out of. Working on a CB scanning rig now too, to add to what I have. Only the local runs for school busses use VHF, anything remote or out of town use CB ch.11 or 13 around here. My kid rides one of the 'remote' bus routes despite us being only about 1 mile from the school. Would be handy in the winter.

I also have my ADS-B and ACARS running somewhat though I'm still learning how to maximize range and discriminate private planes, commercial air and DNR based emergency aircraft. Need to figure that out before fire season which in my area is approaching already... and I'm running that 'department' of a regional fire watch group.

Last edited by fatboy_dan on February 17th 2020, 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing information)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SDR radio and scanning   SDR radio and scanning Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SDR radio and scanning
Page 1 of 1